What fan and Where?

CarCollector36

what is the best fans for a vertical mounted intake? Also I don't care about the looks so noctua is in contention

1 minute ago, CarCollector36 said:

I didn't make it clear in the post at all but I meant 140 mm

You made nothing clear in the original post. How on earth is anyone actually meant to make a serious recommendation if you don't actually provide them with proper information?

You could've said things like the model of your case and how much clearance it has to the carpet or floor.

Just now, Mug said:

You could've said things like the model of your case and how much clearance it has to the carpet or floor.

nzxt s340, and as the 1 thing I did say in the OP its going to be vertically mounted in the front so it doesn't matter, but ~1 inch anyway

noctua redux. good quality, good price/warranty, good noise level. pwm is similar price to non-pwm

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, CarCollector36 said:

nzxt s340, and as the 1 thing I did say in the OP its going to be vertically mounted in the front so it doesn't matter, but ~1 inch anyway

Vertically could be airflow direction too, you have to specift things sometimes or people won't know what the fuck you're on about.

Anyway... I'd take a look at the following fans:

1 hour ago, CarCollector36 said:

If budget isn't an issue, NF-A14's or SW3's would probably be your best options.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 2 weeks later...

What 140mm fan should I get (~$20) that will be mounted vertically in the front of a nzxt s340 and by where I mean should I put it in the top of the front intake or the bottom of the front intake, I am asking this because I have a GTX 980 Ti( https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V4R42298&cm_re=msi_980_Ti-_-14-127-891-_-Product ) and it runs really hot so which fan placement would be best for GPU temps

Note: I  don't care about looks and want silent so you can recommend Noctua

put it in the bottom. get the noctua redux fans, they are cheaper and perform just as good

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, CarCollector36 said:

how quiet are they

i have 2X 140mm redux fans in the front of my p400s. My case has a insulated cover over them so they are more quiet than the exposed rear fan. the rear fan is a 120mm brown coloured noctua, from memory might be the 12A. I was just about to edit my first post to recommend putting 2X 140mm fans in front. From my own experiments and that LTT video; i think 3-4 fans max out cooling results if one fan is not enough

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 minutes ago, CarCollector36 said:

how quiet are they

I run 2x140mm redux fans on my kraken x61's rad and i can keep an 8350 @ 5ghz cool

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

34 minutes ago, CarCollector36 said:

how quiet are they

They're extremely quiet at low speeds and the tone pretty easy drowns into the background at higher rpm. 

At ~300rpm with pwm, they're practically inaudible if your system isn't inches away from your ears. 

If you could stretch for a bit more, you could get a pair of PW2's for a bit more airflow: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4GsKHx/be-quiet-case-fan-bl047

Otherwise, a single NF-A14 or NF-P14S at the front would be excellent.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'm torn between getting a Noctua NF-A14 PWM, a Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM or a Corsair Air Series AF140. which one do you think I should get or recommend a different fan if you want (no pure wings 2). $20 budget and it will be a vertically mounted as an intake in the front of my NZXT s340

The noctua fans are better but I would say corsair simply because their prettier

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

The noctua fans are better but I would say corsair simply because their prettier

I don't care about looks because it will be in the front of the case where I don't see it (much) also the noctua ones have the PWM to make it quieter

1 minute ago, CarCollector36 said:

I don't care about looks because it will be in the front of the case where I don't see it (much) also the noctua ones have the PWM to make it quieter

Oh then the Noctua wins for sure

My life

3 minutes ago, CarCollector36 said:

which one?

There both great pick whichever one is cheaper

My life

1 hour ago, CarCollector36 said:

I'm torn between getting a Noctua NF-A14 PWM, a Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM or a Corsair Air Series AF140. which one do you think I should get or recommend a different fan if you want (no pure wings 2). $20 budget and it will be a vertically mounted as an intake in the front of my NZXT s340

AF140's aren't nearly as good as the noctuas. The NF-A14 is an update to the NF-P14. 

Merged threads--please do not make multiple posts for the same discussion.