index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=22064

Reveal hidden contents

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=22060

Reveal hidden contents

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=22058

Reveal hidden contents

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=22059

Yes. There is. Big? Not really

Eh, I'd call it a substantial difference. 

Cinebench is probably the best representation for real-world 3d rendering performance.

b44247dbd3576a5fd109b03aedde9d82.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Cinebench is probably the best representation for real-world 3d rendering performance.

Yeah, I edited my post right before you quoted me

Would it be worth it to give up gsync and an extra 1070 for the 6900k?

9 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Yeah, I edited my post right before you quoted me

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

21 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

Would it be worth it to give up gsync and an extra 1070 for the 6900k?

Probably not unless you don't game much and spend most of your time rendering.

That being said, you should probably get a 1080 instead of two 1070's if that's what you were thinking.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Probably not unless you don't game much and spend most of your time rendering.

That being said, you should probably get a 1080 instead of two 1070's if that's what you were thinking.

I will be rendering a lot, but will also be gaming, modelling and sculpting. I would be doing 50% gaming and 50% 3D work. The extra gpu would help, as would the gsync monitor. But I am not sure if the 6900k would be worth giving those up

2 hours ago, VirusStorm said:

I will be rendering a lot, but will also be gaming, modelling and sculpting. I would be doing 50% gaming and 50% 3D work. The extra gpu would help, as would the gsync monitor. But I am not sure if the 6900k would be worth giving those up

Why get another 1070 instead of a 1080?

If you're just doing 50% 3D work as opposed to 50% rendering, skip the 6900k.

28 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Why get another 1070 instead of a 1080?

If you're just doing 50% 3D work as opposed to 50% rendering, skip the 6900k.

My 3D applications are cpu based

3 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

My 3D applications are cpu based

Like what? There aren't many situations in 3D where the 6900k would have any benefit over the 5820k outside of rendering. 

Like what? There aren't many situations in 3D where the 6900k would have any benefit over the 5820k outside of rendering. 

Modelling, Sculpting, Animation, Fluid Dynamics, Rigging, etc. My animations would have millions of polygons and will have animations and fluid dynamics. Will the 6900k make a BIG difference to weigh out the losses? Sorry for the hassle btw, I just want to make sure I make the right choice :P 

2 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

Modelling, Sculpting, Animation, Fluid Dynamics, Rigging, etc. My animations would have millions of polygons and will have animations and fluid dynamics. Will the 6900k make a BIG difference to weigh out the losses? Sorry for the hassle btw, I just want to make sure I make the right choice :P 

Modeling and sculpting even with high polys would only stress the gpu more and use more vram. Animation isn't that intensive outside of rendering. Fluid simulations can definitely benefit from a better cpu. Rigging might use more cpu but I don't know how useful a rig is if the 5820k can't properly deal with it. 

Modeling and sculpting even with high polys would only stress the gpu more and use more vram. Animation isn't that intensive outside of rendering. Fluid simulations can definitely benefit from a better cpu. Rigging might use more cpu but I don't know how useful a rig is if the 5820k can't properly deal with it. 

and for rendering?

2 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

and for rendering?

Refer to my first post. 

Refer to my first post. 

Alright, thanks! I guess now I need to decide if gsync is worth it...