144Hz or 60Hz?

edlp456

Hello, I've been planning a new build for a while and don't know which monitor to get. I was thinking of buying an i5 6600k, GA Z170X (or Z270, depends on the price) and either the R9 380 I currently have or a 1070. For gaming and daily browsing. I'm not sure if I'm gonna swap the GPU now or later down the road. Next month I'm traveling and I saw two monitors I really like, but one is 144Hz and the other is 60Hz: the AOC G2460PQU or the Asus MG24UQ. Again, I'm not sure if I'm gonna have to chose between those two because they might not be available when I go, but I'd like to know which one is better and also if I should look for a 60Hz or 144Hz monitor in case I have to choose another one. Thanks in advance.

Current specs: Gigabyte Aorus x370 Gaming K7 motherboard

Sapphire 5600XT

16 GB G-Skill TridentZ RAM

Ryzen 5 1600 CPU

EVGA 650W Gold Power Supply

1070 = 144Hz Max settings most games 1080p

My Rigs

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Asus Z170-A 
                                                                                                        Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

GeForce GTX 1070 Video Card (purchasing soon might be getting G1 or gaming x)

NZXT S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

75+ hz is a much smoother experience than 60hz, and I would go for something with a higher refresh-rate than 60hz.

A 1070 usually gets 70 - 100+ FPS at 1080p. But, even a GTX 1080 doesn't get 144 FPS  at 1080p in graphically-demanding titles.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

well since you're going for the 1070 at some point, it will require a 144Hz monitor, and the 380 won't really be bothered by a monitor with higher refresh rate that it needs

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

the 1070 is good for 1080p 144hz or 1440p 60hz - 144hz. 1440p 144hz is a little more iffy because you may have to reduce some settings to reach high fps, but it shouldn't be that bad in games like Overwatch. 

19 minutes ago, edlp456 said:

Asus MG24UQ

this is a freesync monitor, so you cannot use it with a 1070. but you can use the monitor normally, just not with freesync. 

14 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

the 1070 is good for 1080p 144hz or 1440p 60hz - 144hz. 1440p 144hz is a little more iffy because you may have to reduce some settings to reach high fps, but it shouldn't be that bad in games like Overwatch. 

There should be no problem running 1440p 120hz+ with a 1070.  I am getting ready to build a new PC but I'm still running SLI 780ti in that resolution with no problem.  For multiplayer/competitive games I have no problem running with high settings, and for single player I don't mind sacrificing a *little* FPS in order to get a good experience.  In general I haven't had to touch my settings even running stuff like modded Skyrim, Fallout4, Witcher3, etc.

14 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

this is a freesync monitor, so you cannot use it with a 1070. but you can use the monitor normally, just not with freesync. 

As long as you can maintain a decent frame-rate it doesn't really matter.  To be honest: you can't use GSync or FreeSync with ULMB anyway, and running ULMB to eliminate motion blur from frame persistence will result in a better overall experience anyway IMO.

If you can, get yourself 144Hz monitor. For long time I thought that 60fps is enough. Well I went to 75fps on 75Hz monitor and I already see difference.

So yeah ... 100+ Hz will give you great gaming experience.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

144 Hz will reduce strain on your eyes, but it obviously costs more,(even though not much more) so if you are going budget, get 60Hz