6 pin PCIe to 4 pin molex adapter.

So yeah. I need a 6pin PCIe to 4 pin molex adapter. I bought one of the 120mm Delta 250 CFM monsters and need to power it. I have a spare rail I'm not using on my PSU and want to hook it up to that. 

ALSO need to know if there's such a adapter that lets you hook the PWM connector up to the board for RPM control, but it still draw power from a dedicated line. I've seen fans with the feature built in, but never a stand alone adapter. 

7 minutes ago, TechnoSword said:

So yeah. I need a 6pin PCIe to 4 pin molex adapter. I bought one of the 120mm Delta 250 CFM monsters and need to power it. I have a spare rail I'm not using on my PSU and want to hook it up to that. 

ALSO need to know if there's such a adapter that lets you hook the PWM connector up to the board for RPM control, but it still draw power from a dedicated line. I've seen fans with the feature built in, but never a stand alone adapter. 

I wouldn't recommend it. Although Delta make good PSUs, I don't think whatever you're trying to power will have enough juice. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Verify with the fan first.  Some of those Deltas only require 5V.  Even the 120mm.  They have a bunch of nice power efficient ones.  

However, That adapter is VERY hard to find.  I even had to make one myself.  I used a 6-pin Female to 8-pin Male adapter with an inline clip-in 4-pin Male Molex.  

4 hours ago, TechnoSword said:

-snip-

I don't think you need to split rails just to run a single delta fan, even for their largest fan. The molex connector should power it just fine, I think the fans top off at 5-7 amps depending on the model.

As for adapters, I use a Molex to PWM breakout adapter. The fan gets powered via Molex and the speed is controlled via PWM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423164

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812311001&cm_re=molex_five_fan-_-12-311-001-_-Product

I have three delta fans myself, 150CFM. They all run on the same molex breakout cable. Roughly 5-6 amps in total (I think it's 1.6A per fan, can't remember exactly).

It's obvious, but please do not plug a single delta fan (Depends on model) into the motherboard PWM port. It will burn the port out. Most motherboards can only handle 2A max.

As always there's the eager first guy who posts without reading xD (not sarcasm. Is funny to me)

Spec sheet for the exact fan- http://partner.delta-corp.com/products/FanUploads/Specification/PFC1212DE-F00(REV02)--5500.pdf

13 hours ago, Doramius said:

Verify with the fan first.  Some of those Deltas only require 5V.  Even the 120mm.  

Draws up to 57.6 watts, operating voltage of 8V to 13.2V, and moves up to 252.8 CFM. I made sure to check what it was before ordering it- I'm not getting no gimped 5 volt fan. Seller actually mislabeled it though. Had it listed as the 200CFM variant. They must've missed the "F00" part tacked onto the end of the model name, or just sent me the wrong one by mistake. Which is good, since that's the one I wanted anyways, but couldn't find anyone selling it. 

9 hours ago, scottyseng said:

-snip-

I'm using a triple rail PSU. Each 12 volt rail does 220 watts at 18 amps max.

1st powers the board/paraphernalia- CPU is a 4690k @4.4Ghz (110 watts), 6 HDDs, 3 regular 120mm fans, a SATA PCIe card, and a BluRay drive.  

2nd powers a Radoen HD 7950 (which I imagine draws some degree of power from the board)

3rd use to power a 2nd 7950, but it got put in a rig I'm building for a friend. 

SO the first rail might as well be maxed, the 2nd is maxed, and the 3rd is the only empty one- which only has two 6pins coming off of it native. 

Spec page listed. Says the input current is 4.8A max.

THANK YOU for the link. Was searching an hour for that and couldn't find it.

Yeah I know not to directly hook it to the board X3 Hence why I made this post searching for a proper adapter. Oh and I'm waiting for a fan grill I ordered to get here to put on it before I power it up, cause at 5500 RPM it will chop a finger off.

I have no idea what to use it for. Ever since I saw the videos on youtube of people playing with 5500RPM Delta fans I was entranced by them. Knew I had to have one.....so several years later I've now bought one off ebay for 13$ instead of paying the near 50$ sticker price.

The fans on my GPU are dying though. So if I make it my front intake (and take the shroud off the GPU) then pure brute force of the fan should be able to keep it cool right? Maybe stick on my 212 EVO and OC further, but the vibration would probably break something if it's mounted directly on the 212.... mmm speculation.

7 hours ago, TechnoSword said:

-snip-

Ah, I see. Yeah, you would have to split up the rails like that to make it safely work.

Hmm, I'm not sure if there's any 6-pin to PWM fan adapters. I'm only aware of the Molex / Sata power kind.

4.8A...wow, that uses about as much as my three delta fans.

Definitely make sure the screws are tight / have a fan grill. I have three 3600RPM fans and I would never risk sticking my finger in there. I also like how you can pretty much clean a heatsink by running the fans at full speed...there is no dust what so ever on my heatsink.

Hmm, you might see how low the RPM goes. My 3600 RPM delta fans go as low as 500RPM. They are actually the quietest fans I own. Most of the time at idle, I can't hear them. They also make my hyper 212+ handle my 2500K OC'd like nothing (I have never gotten to 80C...)

You got that for $13? That's amazing. I remember paying the sticker price of $40 per fan when I bought my three fans.

Yeah, I have two in push-pull on my 212, and then one on the exhaust. No heat issues in the PC what so ever. haha. Have fun though.

hmm... do you know of a 6pin female to 6 pin female adapter? (I know technically they're considered male) Could get one of those sketchy molex to 6 pin cables and run it backwards through that. Would a y adapter work for that, or do they not touch the same contacts to share a connection across them both?

EDIT:

Found the adapter on eBay, by a guy that I assume makes all the cables himself as I wasn't able to find it anywhere else. Pricey for a cable, but still. 

Edited by TechnoSword