Upgrading GPU

Javiek

When upgrading from an old GPU to a new more powerful one is there any benefit to leaving the old one in your rig? For example you go from a gtx 1060 to a 1070 or 1080.  Furthermore what would be the concerns when it comes to power consumption?

Only if you wanted to dedicate it to physX or something like that. It's probably easier just to sell the old card or re-use it in another system.

I don't see any reason to leave a GPU in your system unless you're assigning it to a specific workload. 

Whats your power supply, and what are you upgrading to-from? 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Mabey if you used the old card as a physX card but the games that can do that are very limited. It would prob be better to just sell the old card when you upgrade.

1 minute ago, vrod said:

Only if you wanted to dedicate it to physX or something like that. It's probably easier just to sell the old card or re-use it in another system.

Dedicating to PhysX isn't even worth it. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Any recent GTX card can handle physics on its own.

One application tho that can use 2 different GPUs is Blender (3D Rendering). Unless you need the additional rendering power / flexibility, sell the old GPU and make someone else happy.

Amazon delivered an extra gtx 1060 asus turbo by mistake when I upgraded my brother's gpu. For some odd reason they said I could keep it and never charged me for it. I am currently planning my own rig out and did not know what to do with the free 1060 since I was planning to put in a 1070. Thank you for the help!