Literally Heating My Office With Folding@Home

So the oil tank in my house is running almost empty and they won't deliver until later on in the week so guess I'm just going to have to turn down the heat in my office until the oil company gets it's act together. So that leaves one problem it's cold as **** outside and how am I going to make my office warm enough to be in? I do have 2 desktops sitting in there one across from the other so why not fold on both of them. I have my main desktop that has i5 4690k overclocked to 4.2ghz and has a reference RX 480 and a Sappire R7 240 in it and my ITX LAN party machine that's used as a spare machine on the other side of the room that has a i5 4590 and a Powercolor R7 370, I think we have quite a bit of potental here with all that hardware for quite a bit of calculation power and heat output.

I normally only have the R7 240 and a old Core 2 Duo server doing Folding@Home most of the time because of how much the electric costs. So the amount of folding I was able to crunch in today was off the charts for how much calculation power I'm usually able to set aside.

Just take a look for yourself at the amount of points earned on the 10th.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=721029

image.png

Yah looks like it's a good way to donate a crap ton of processing power and to keep my office somewhat warm until the oil company finally manage to put a brain into their workers and deliver the oil.

Yup. My room is the coldest in the house (two outside walls etc etc) and I use my pc to warm it up. It seems to do a better job than the radiators tbh

CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @4.4GHz Motherboard: Intel DX79TO | Graphics Card: XFX RX 480 RS RAM:  16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR3 @ 1600MHz Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: 1x Kingston UV400 120GB | 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 1x WD Green 1TB | PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W | Case: NZXT S340 White | Cooling: NZXT Kraken x31

Never used a space heater, but looks like you'll be dissipating about 500W in total

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Never used a space heater, but looks like you'll be dissipating about 500W in total

keep in mind 500W/ph

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

1 minute ago, Xsilent(X) said:

keep in mind 500W/ph

What's the ph stand for?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

What's the ph stand for?

per hour

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Just now, Xsilent(X) said:

per hour

Actually, Watts is a measure of continuous heat dissipation (or power consumption). It's defined as 1 Joule per second. So that setup is dissipating 500J/s

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Actually, Watts is a measure of continuous heat dissipation (or power consumption). It's defined as 1 Joule per second. So that setup is dissipating 500J/s

learn somthing new every day

12 minutes ago, Energycore said:

ok but a device consumes a W/PH so let me tell you if you leave a vacumcleaner on that has a total of 300Watts and leave it on 24 hours you consume 7.2 kWh per day. 

On 11.1.2017 at 8:15 AM, EmoChipmonk said:

learn somthing new every day

Don't be mistaken: I learnt this today too

On 11.1.2017 at 8:16 AM, Xsilent(X) said:

ok but a device consumes a W/PH so let me tell you if you leave a vacumcleaner on that has a total of 300Watts and leave it on 24 hours you consume 7.2 kWh per day. 

You're not making sense with your units. W/h * h = W, but you're saying that W/h * h = W * h

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

you dont need a p after the /. dont tell me thats a north american thing

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

You're not making sense with your units. W/h * h = W, but you're saying that W/h * h = W * h

lets take a Yearly consumption of a regular alarm clock 24 x 365 x (10 watt / 1000) = 87,6 kWh

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Don't be mistaken: I learnt this today too

i always thought watts was for power. Makes me feel like i should learn more.

lets take a Yearly consumption of a regular alarm clock 24 x 365 x (10 watt / 1000) = 87,6 kWh

That's because the alarm clock consumes 1/100 W. Not 1/100 W/h

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, EmoChipmonk said:

i always thought watts was for power. Makes me feel like i should learn more.

The gist of it is: Any electrical circuit consumes energy at a rate of 1W per VA (voltage * amperage). You can use W for other things for instance cyclists use it to measure how much energy they're using while cycling. But for the most part it's used to measure the amount of power that's wasted as heat in an electrical circuit

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

The gist of it is: Any electrical circuit consumes energy at a rate of 1W per VA (voltage * amperage). You can use W for other things for instance cyclists use it to measure how much energy they're using while cycling. But for the most part it's used to measure the amount of power that's wasted as heat in an electrical circuit

thank you for this information.

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

you can also use Watts to calculate your monthly bill how much it will cost you. atleast here in Europe they do. we calculate watts to kWh to know how much you will consume for one day.

1 hour ago, Oscargot said:

Yup. My room is the coldest in the house (two outside walls etc etc) and I use my pc to warm it up. It seems to do a better job than the radiators tbh

I feel how you feel my office is basicly a garage that was turned into the room and actually the garage door is still on the front of the house the previous owner just put up insulation behind the garage door and then a wall behind that and add a wood floor plus the other walls and boom you got a room the only real downside is it's cold in the winter because there basicly is a cement block under the wood floor and the only radiator is in the back of the room far away from where my computers are and the previous owner installed a kitchen on that side of the room so even though I have a small kitchen mixed with my office that is very convienient for snacks the heat doesn't really reach my side of the room very quickly and some of time the sheer bad insulation of the room makes it get cold quick if it's cold enough outside