Game development language

I have com up with an idea for a game that I want to make but I am not sure what language to use. I have some Java experience so I was going to use that, but my friend told me that Java would run slower than c++. The only problem is I have no c++ experience. Any suggestions? I can learn another language if I need to but I would rather not if possible.

depends on the platform you're aiming for. Android will be in Java (also C++ if you want to hurt yourself), Windows depends on the engine you'll be using (i.e Unity uses C#, other solutions use C++ and so on)  and iOS will use whatever coding stuff they made for themselves :D 

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

15 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

I have com up with an idea for a game that I want to make but I am not sure what language to use. I have some Java experience so I was going to use that, but my friend told me that Java would run slower than c++. The only problem is I have no c++ experience. Any suggestions? I can learn another language if I need to but I would rather not if possible.

Most games are programmed in Ruby, or java, if you know java, go with Java or Java Script (which are different). And your friend saying one language is slower then the other is wrong, it's the environment which would make one slower. Let me know when your game is done and I want to check it out.

Just now, CFstorm said:

Most games are programmed in Ruby, or java, if you know java, go with Java or Java Script (which are different). And your friend saying one language is slower then the other is wrong, it's the environment which would make one slower. Let me know when your game is done and I want to check it out.

that is what I figured (I also hate it when people get Java/javascript confused)

3 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

that is what I figured (I also hate it when people get Java/javascript confused)

I know! Me too! What's your name going to be like?

9 minutes ago, CFstorm said:

I know! Me too! What's your name going to be like?

not sure yet in the very early stages of development 

13 minutes ago, Cryosec said:

depends on the platform you're aiming for. Android will be in Java (also C++ if you want to hurt yourself), Windows depends on the engine you'll be using (i.e Unity uses C#, other solutions use C++ and so on)  and iOS will use whatever coding stuff they made for themselves :D 

going for the most versatility on computers windows/mac/linux so not phones/tablets. 

1 minute ago, Tb428 said:

going for the most versatility on computers windows/mac/linux so not phones/tablets. 

I'd go with Unity (so C#) as I have experience with it. It's also really easy to learn and you won't need to learn DX11/12 or OpenGL

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

1 minute ago, Cryosec said:

I'd go with Unity (so C#) as I have experience with it. It's also really easy to learn and you won't need to learn DX11/12 or OpenGL

ok thanks I will look into it. do you know java if so is it similar to C# or is it much different.

2 minutes ago, Cryosec said:

the engine I had previously found is the JmonkeyEngine or the LWJGL library do you know if either of them is comparable to unity.

4 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

do you know java if so is it similar to C# or is it much different.

if you're into reading a shit-ton of stuff that goes deep about this, read here. If you just want to know about syntax and stuff like that, they're quite similar

7 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

the engine I had previously found is the JmonkeyEngine or the LWJGL library do you know if either of them is comparable to unity.

JME is open source and used a lot. Unity is a paid software, even tho a free version exists. In the end, it all depends on the language you'll be using (I've never used JME so I can't say much about it)

JME is open source and used a lot. Unity is a paid software, even tho a free version exists. In the end, it all depends on the language you'll be using (I've never used JME so I can't say much about it)

thanks but I would rather keep the engines free because I don't have the money to buy engines even if it is cheap.

1 minute ago, Tb428 said:

thanks but I would rather keep the engines free because I don't have the money to buy engines even if it is cheap.

the pro version contains some useful extra stuff that might come in handy later on. But the free version is good as it is, your choice anyway :D 

the pro version contains some useful extra stuff that might come in handy later on. But the free version is good as it is, your choice anyway :D 

if performance will be the same or close I will probably go with java because I am familiar with it. but thanks for the help with everything.

Unless your game requires high performance, you can avoid C/C++.  But it also depends on how much of the game you really want to code. If you're starting from scratch well... That's a monumental task. It's better to start off with a toolkit like Unreal SDK, Unity SDK, or if it's not really that demanding of a game, Game Maker (don't laugh, Undertale was made in Game Maker).

40 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Unless your game requires high performance, you can avoid C/C++.  But it also depends on how much of the game you really want to code. If you're starting from scratch well... That's a monumental task. It's better to start off with a toolkit like Unreal SDK, Unity SDK, or if it's not really that demanding of a game, Game Maker (don't laugh, Undertale was made in Game Maker).

You also have the Lightweight Java Game Library if you want to stick to Java.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

44 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

or if it's not really that demanding of a game, Game Maker (don't laugh, Undertale was made in Game Maker).

Also Hyper Light Drifter, Hotline Miami, Spelunky, Gunpoint, Risk of Rain and that's pretty much all notable games done in Game Maker I can think of right now.

Nevertheless, you can't go wrong with Unity.

And if you say you already know Java, why not use LWJGL?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

16 hours ago, Nineshadow said:

Also Hyper Light Drifter, Hotline Miami, Spelunky, Gunpoint, Risk of Rain and that's pretty much all notable games done in Game Maker I can think of right now.

Nevertheless, you can't go wrong with Unity.

And if you say you already know Java, why not use LWJGL?

thanks for the advice that is what I was already looking into doing LWJGL looks fine for me.  

On 1/10/2017 at 1:47 PM, CFstorm said:

Most games are written in Ruby or Java? Got a source for that? Most every AAA game engine nowadays is C++. Also, while your second point is technically true, using something with a VM and garbage collection will (in most cases) be slower than something compiled to native code.

C++ is the industry standard. Most game engines have scripting in C++, C# or Lua if not a proprietary language usually based on C++ (Fun Face, Java was made with C++ developers in mind, so it may not be too tough to learn)

Swift is apple's language for developing for ios devices, but you need a mac as far as I know. 

Hard coding games is a lot of work. Game engines are quite helpful.

Gamemaker and construct 2 are two popular 2d engines that are also free and on steam. 

Unity and Unreal are 2 popular 3d engines that can make 2d games. Both are free but Unreal has royalties, and after you make enough money with unity you have to buy certain licences (The prices are very cheap)

or you can use the original quake engine source code on github for 3d games. 

All that is up to you. GOOD LUCK!!!

On 10.1.2017 at 7:47 PM, CFstorm said:

The only big game i know of that has been programmed in java is minecraft. Also, languages have their advantages and disadvantages and java is quite a "slow" language

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

14 minutes ago, -iSynthesis said:

The only big game i know of that has been programmed in java is minecraft. Also, languages have their advantages and disadvantages and java is quite a "slow" language

would it be easy to learn c++ from if you only know java.

Just now, Tb428 said:

would it be easy to learn c++ from if you only know java.

I can't tell you a lot about c++, i know java and thats about it. I tried learning c++ and it doesn't seem all too difficult/different from java.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

1 minute ago, -iSynthesis said:

I can't tell you a lot about c++, i know java and thats about it. I tried learning c++ and it doesn't seem all too difficult/different from java.

ok thanks

5 hours ago, -iSynthesis said:

This is actually pretty incorrect. At the surface, they look similar. That's about where the similarities stop. C++11 in particular is an extremely complex language and it would be worth it to start from square 1 if you want to learn the language.

For iOS developing you need to learn Swift,then code in Xcode.

Xcode is only avaliable on Mac, so either you have original mac (macbook,imac or Mac pro) or you install hackintosh on your pc.

You can install hackintosh as dual boot, but as far as I know you will need one HDD just for MAC. 

Its really pain in the ass installing and customizing hackintosh, and might get you into some problems.

After 3hrs+ I managed to install El Capitan on my PC, while on my laptop I had problems with USB ports not working and lacking drivers etc.