120Hz or 144Hz monitor for gaming.

Trail Mixorz

are you retarded? 

I have many reasons to not believe so.

G-sync is not meant to make high refresh rates obsolete, it is meant to make games look as smooth as they look with v-sync on even when v-sync is off, which eliminates lag, stutter and tearing all at the same time. It only works properly when the GPU is outputting frames between 30 and the max refresh rate of the monitor, so with a 60hz monitor your framrate has to be between 30 and 60fps so that g-sync works properly, with a 144hz monitor it can varry between 30 and 144fps, so it is actually far more effective on these monitors than on 60hz max monitors.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I have many reasons to not believe so.

G-sync is not meant to make high refresh rates obsolete, it is meant to make games look as smooth as they look with v-sync on even when v-sync is off, which eliminates lag, stutter and tearing all at the same time. It only works properly when the GPU is outputting frames between 30 and the max refresh rate of the monitor, so with a 60hz monitor your framrate has to be between 30 and 60fps so that g-sync works properly, with a 144hz monitor it can varry between 30 and 144fps, so it is actually far more effective on these monitors than on 60hz max monitors.

I think your English needs to improve, cause that's definitely not what I said. xD 

144hz pretty much eliminates the use for g-sync (unless you're playing minecraft on a good card xD). If you're turning your settings up high, you'd be hard pressed to go past 120 fps; but with that extra 24hz it almost guarantees there will be zero screen tearing without vsync. So if you're playing something like bf4 and you usually get somewhere near 120 fps in a normal situation, when you're in a small corridor with no one else, it might hit 130 fps without tearing and when you're knocking down buildings with cuisers and ships chasing you, and you shoot 90 fps (ish) you're not gonna have v-syncs stupid 30-60-90-120 steps. I hope that made sense xD 

I think your English needs to improve, cause that's definitely not what I said. xD 

First of all I'm german so my english is not perfect, but I have little to no trouble understanding or speaking/writing it so i can understand people/people can understand me.

"144hz pretty much eliminates the use for g-sync"

No it doesn't. G-Sync makes framerates below your max refresh rate look better(no stutter or tearing). With traditional monitors, unless you have v-sync on, the output of your monitor will stutter and tear. Again, you have not understood g-sync(it's ok, it's not that easy to understand, but if you don't understand it, please stop spreading false information), watch this video if you want to learn about it:

"If you're turning your settings up high, you'd be hard pressed to go past 120 fps; but with that extra 24hz it almost guarantees there will be zero screen tearing without vsync"

What if I told you not everyone only plays the latest most demanding games?

Anyways, without g-sync, even if your framerate is below the refresh rate of your monitor, you are still stuttering and tearing.

(I own a 144hz monitor, I do not notice a difference between 120 and 144hz fyi)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

First of all I'm german so my english is not perfect, but I have little to no trouble understanding or speaking/writing it so i can understand people/people can understand me.

"144hz pretty much eliminates the use for g-sync"

No it doesn't. G-Sync makes framerates below your max refresh rate look better(no stutter or tearing). With traditional monitors, unless you have v-sync on, the output of your monitor will stutter and tear. Again, you have not understood g-sync(it's ok, it's not that easy to understand, but if you don't understand it, please stop spreading false information), watch this video if you want to learn about it:

"If you're turning your settings up high, you'd be hard pressed to go past 120 fps; but with that extra 24hz it almost guarantees there will be zero screen tearing without vsync"

What if I told you not everyone only plays the latest most demanding games?

Anyways, without g-sync, even if your framerate is below the refresh rate of your monitor, you are still stuttering and tearing.

(I own a 144hz monitor, I do not notice a difference between 120 and 144hz fyi)

-_______________________-

if your fps never goes past 130 fps, then it will look good on your 144hz monitor without the use of g-sync.

Please don't advertise NVIDIA. This forum does not tolerate advertising. 

How about you getting yourself an PB278Q (You won't get anything close to 60 fps so yeah...)

My 2gb gtx 670 is fine with most titles at 1440p  ;)

If you want a high res monitor go for the benQ that was linked earlier

this ^.

I got a BenQ XL2420T and honestly I don't see much of a difference. And it's standing next to my PLS 1440p screen. Now it looks like anus. I'd get a decent 1440p screen if you're in that price range already.

I don't want a higher resolution screen because I don't want a bigger screen than 24". Read my first post before offering something I didn't ask for. I don't really care if you like higher resolutions, but I don't. Sorry if I'm being a dick but that's not what I asked. I want a 24" 120Hz or 144Hz monitor, without complete shit colors, that's not gonna cost me a fortune.

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

I don't want a higher resolution screen because I don't want a bigger screen than 24". Read my first post before offering something I didn't ask for. I don't really care if you like higher resolutions, but I don't. Sorry if I'm being a dick but that's not what I asked. I want a 24" 120Hz or 144Hz monitor, without complete shit colors, that's not gonna cost me a fortune.

I meant to say go for the 144hz benQ poster earlier. That is by what i've heard the best looking one color wise(the biggest issue with them)

I meant to say go for the 144hz benQ poster earlier. That is by what i've heard the best looking one color wise(the biggest issue with them)

I don't know if you've had much experience with either, but the benq is around 50 bucks for than the asus. Are the colors that much better?

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

I don't know if you've had much experience with either, but the benq is around 50 bucks for than the asus. Are the colors that much better?

I'm just going off vids and reviews i've read since i'm a 1440p used. At stock the color is pretty bad accuracy wise for the asus and doesn't compare to panels like VA or IPS/PLS. The BenQ doesn't compete with them either, but it's a step up

Linus also has a video about it to that sums up how I feel pretty well.

-_______________________-

if your fps never goes past 130 fps, then it will look good on your 144hz monitor without the use of g-sync.

Please don't advertise NVIDIA. This forum does not tolerate advertising. 

no it doesn't, because it will still stutter and tear. I am not trying to advertise nVidia, I'm just explaining a technology to you. I consider myself more of an AMD fanboy, but if AMD doesn't adopt g-sync or something simmilar I will switch over to the green team.

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I want a 24" 120Hz or 144Hz monitor, without complete shit colors, that's not gonna cost me a fortune.

1339174789948.jpg

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

1339174789948.jpg

Say I buy that benq monitor for around $320, how "future proof" is that?

You have a 670. GET G-SYNC

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

gangster-sync

gratulatory-sync

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Say I buy that benq monitor for around $320, how "future proof" is that?

Well the screen kinda stays the same... I guess... The 670 just won't output 120 fps + in newer games somewhen ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

You have a 670. GET G-SYNC

I still can't get a grasp on G-Sync. Is it basically the smoothest 60 frames you can get on a 60hz monitor? How is that compared to running a 120hz monitor without G-Sync?

I still can't get a grasp on G-Sync. Is it basically the smoothest 60 frames you can get on a 60hz monitor? How is that compared to running a 120hz monitor without G-Sync?

There is a lot more to it than that. Go watch Linus's video blog from Montreal about it.