R9 380 4GB - Should I upgrade?

Noyu

I have a build under construction right now (see sig) but some of my friends raised that I should probably upgrade my GPU to a GTX 1070.

I'm not even sure if there's a 1070 that will fit my case, but the real question is, will there really be a noticeable performance leap even at 1080p 60fps?

AFAIK, In general an RX 480 should max 60fps out of most games at 1080p. I'm assuming the gap between the 380 and the 480 is not that much (30%? 40%?).

Anyways, thoughts? I'm just brainfarting here really.

Notes:

1.) No I do not plan to upgrade to a higher resolution anytime in the foreseeable future. I might go with a dual-monitor setup (also 1080p 60Hz), but even then I'll be gaming with only one.

2.) As I've said, I'm just brainfarting. I don't really have the means to buy a 1070. I just like researching stuff and asking other people's thoughts about it.

3.) In my previous rig, I was very unsatisfied with its performance but I'm 90% sure it was the G3258 bottlenecking the shit out of the whole system. Mirror's Edge only at 30FPS? That's a 9-y/o game ffs.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

The performance of the R9 380 is somewhat between the current AMD RX 460 and RX 470

The RX 480 be it 4GB and the 8GB model should allow you to max out at 1080P Ultra graphics.

given that you will only be playing 1080P

the GTX1070 will be under used as this GPU is built for 1440P ultrawide gaming

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

4 minutes ago, Noyu said:

I have a build under construction right now (see sig) but some of my friends raised that I should probably upgrade my GPU to a GTX 1070.

I'm not even sure if there's a 1070 that will fit my case, but the real question is, will there really be a noticeable performance leap even at 1080p 60fps?

AFAIK, In general an RX 480 should max 60fps out of most games at 1080p. I'm assuming the gap between the 380 and the 480 is not that much (30%? 40%?).

Anyways, thoughts? I'm just brainfarting here really.

Notes:

1.) No I do not plan to upgrade to a higher resolution anytime in the foreseeable future. I might go with a dual-monitor setup (also 1080p 60Hz), but even then I'll be gaming with only one.

2.) As I've said, I'm just brainfarting. I don't really have the means to buy a 1070. I just like researching stuff and asking other people's thoughts about it.

3.) In my previous rig, I was very unsatisfied with its performance but I'm 90% sure it was the G3258 bottlenecking the shit out of the whole system. Mirror's Edge only at 30FPS? That's a 9-y/o game ffs.

Yes there will be a massive difference. And the gap is massive, like its almost twice as fast

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

I think the RX 480/GTX 1060 is where it's at for 1080p 60hz.

According to most benchmarks I saw online there is a huge gap between the cards, with the RX 480 sometimes doubling the amount of FPS the R9 380 4GB can output.

If you are currently pleased with the amount of frames and the settings you are getting with your GPU, on the games you play, don't change anything. But if you want to improve the graphic settings, and/or get a higher FPS, by all means do the upgrade.

right now (without really knowing the frame rates ( not anal enough to care )............ my 380 does a real good job. I would build my new system and carry the card over. you might be surprised.

7 minutes ago, ForsakenLive said:

If you are currently pleased with the amount of frames and the settings you are getting with your GPU, on the games you play, don't change anything. But if you want to improve the graphic settings, and/or get a higher FPS, by all means do the upgrade.

Yep I'm still upgrading into Skylake and will see if I'm satisfied. But if ever I do upgrade, 1060/480 only. not 1070. Okay.

5 minutes ago, LabRat said:

right now (without really knowing the frame rates ( not anal enough to care )............ my 380 does a real good job. I would build my new system and carry the card over. you might be surprised.

That's what I'm actually doing right now. Building a new system with the GPU carried over.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

The 480 is like 70% faster than a 380 and even more when both are overclocked. You will definitely notice an improvement. 1070 is overkill for 1080p right now, but games are becoming more demanding. The best option would be hold out until Vega.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit