ASRock z170 Extreme 4 vs Gigabyte z170x Gaming 3?

I have somehow ended up with both of these boards for my latest build, I'm just wondering which would be more preferable to use?

I'm using crossfire'd 480's although that doesn't really change anything, but I am currently using a i5 6600k which overclocks to 4.4ghz, I tried getting it up to 4.6 but the ASrock overclocking utility is to say the least, poor.

Just wondering if there's any discernible difference between the two brands and if I should swap over to the gigabyte? I know ASrock used to be a subsidiary of ASUS, but ended up making bad products. I'm not currently having many problems with the ASrock at the moment, but the overclocking leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks

Are you using software to overclock or are you going into BIOs? The BIOs on the Asrock board is straight forward and simple to use

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Are you using software to overclock or are you going into BIOs? The BIOs on the Asrock board is straight forward and simple to use

I've gone into bios to do it, it does have predefined profiles for the cpu but the 4.6 just bombs out straight away after bios boots up again, I'm using a pretty decent cooler too so there's no issue of overheating, or at least there shouldn't be. I just assumed it wasn't getting enough voltage but for the life of me I can't find the setting to let me adjust it

Not gonna lie, I love the look on the Extreme4

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Cthanion said:

I've gone into bios to do it, it does have predefined profiles for the cpu but the 4.6 just bombs out straight away after bios boots up again, I'm using a pretty decent cooler too so there's no issue of overheating, or at least there shouldn't be. I just assumed it wasn't getting enough voltage but for the life of me I can't find the setting to let me adjust it

When you go to the OC tab in BIOs it should have 3 things to choose from. One should be like Voltage or whatever and it should let you changed it to fixed mode and set it to whatever. Skylake is safe up to 1.4v btw and what cooler?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Not gonna lie, I love the look on the Extreme4

It does look really nice, goes well with my white and blue theme in my case, moving over to the gigabyte might ruin that theme come to think of it....

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

When you go to the OC tab in BIOs it should have 3 things to choose from. One should be like Voltage or whatever and it should let you changed it to fixed mode and set it to whatever. Skylake is safe up to 1.4v btw and what cooler?

Ah okay I didn't consider, apologies I'm not as computer adept as I'd like to be, I'm getting there though! 

And it's an arctic freeze xtreme rev. 2, I'm hoping to move over to the Corsair h100i v2 however

2 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

For overclocking, why can't you just use Intel's XTU?