RX 480 on 144hz monitor ?

nkucz

Hey guys,

Currently I have one RX 480 8GB and eventually plan on getting a second one to run crossfire. Once I have a second one I'm sure I would be able to take advantage of a 144hz monitor. However, would I experience tearing or other issues using just one RX 480 and a 144hz freesync monitor considering I'll amost never be at that FPS unless playing minecraft or CS or something. 

Thanks 

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

It'll be great. Don't worry.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

well freesync should keep you from having tearing even if you drop below 144, which with a 480 at 1080p is tough to do in CS and MC.. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

well freesync should keep you from having tearing even if you drop below 144, which with a 480 at 1080p is tough to do in CS and MC.. 

Yea I kinda figured freesync would stop any issues from occurring. 

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

well.. if your fps is too low, turn down some eyecandy, most games i encounter should do that framerate just fine on an RX480 at 1080p

essentially, turning down stuff like anti-aliasing and shadows slightly can make a HUGE difference in framerate, and once you really get into the game you honestly dont even notice it.

7 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

BTW RX 480 can easily do 144fps in CS GO and Minecraft.

Just now, nkucz said:

BTW RX 480 can easily do 144fps in CS GO and Minecraft.

Yeah, I meant it's hard to drop below 144 in those games with a 480

idk

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Well, I know that, but if I wanted to play on max settings and be under 144 FPS would there be an adverse effects?

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well.. if your fps is too low, turn down some eyecandy, most games i encounter should do that framerate just fine on an RX480 at 1080p

essentially, turning down stuff like anti-aliasing and shadows slightly can make a HUGE difference in framerate, and once you really get into the game you honestly dont even notice it.

I'm sure I wouldn't notice, but I just wanted to make sure if I was under 144FPS (which I will be with a single 480 sometimes) I wouldn't have any issues because of freesync. 

2 minutes ago, nkucz said:

Well, I know that, but if I wanted to play on max settings and be under 144 FPS would there be an adverse effects?

you didnt buy a top tier graphics solution, you shouldnt be expecting to play at max settings anyways.

but that aside, you can always vsync at half of your monitor's refresh rate (nvidia can do this, i sure hope that AMD has this option as well..) which would mean you only need to maintain 72FPS, and because it is exactly half, it's as if you're just running a 72FPS display.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you didnt buy a top tier graphics solution, you shouldnt be expecting to play at max settings anyways.

but that aside, you can always vsync at half of your monitor's refresh rate (nvidia can do this, i sure hope that AMD has this option as well..) which would mean you only need to maintain 72FPS, and because it is exactly half, it's as if you're just running a 72FPS display.

Well I bought the RX 480 to play at 60FPS 1080p max settings which it can definitely do, I just plan to eventually upgrade and grab a second RX 480 and figured at that point I would want a 144hz monitor. I just wanted to make sure if I buy this monitor before my second GPU, it will have no problems with just one card. 

Just now, nkucz said:

Well I bought it to play at 60FPS 1080p max settings which it can definitely do, I just plan to eventually upgrade and grab a second 480 and figured at that point I would want a 144hz monitor. I just wanted to make sure if I buy this monitor before my second GPU, it will have no problems with just one card. 

i'll put it like this:

if the card has problems with this display, the problems are in layer 8, better known as the guy that's at the computer:

it's not that the card is not capable enough, it's that you cannot set your expectations right for the card's capabilities.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'll put it like this:

if the card has problems with this display, the problems are in layer 8, better known as the guy that's at the computer:

it's not that the card is not capable enough, it's that you cannot set your expectations right for the card's capabilities.

My expectations are no where near out of reach for this cards capabilities, 1080p at 60FPS on ultra settings is totally doable with one card.

1 minute ago, nkucz said:

My expectations are no where near out of reach for this cards capabilities, 1080p at 60FPS on ultra settings is totally doable with one card. 

then the card wont have issues with your display ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116782&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Well the freesync monitor I want has a low end of 48hz so as long as I can manage above 48 frames with one card it seems I will be fine, thanks everyone!

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

then the card wont have issues with your display ;)

lol I see your point now. 

• 2 years later...
On 12/5/2016 at 4:21 AM, nkucz said:

Well I bought the RX 480 to play at 60FPS 1080p max settings which it can definitely do, I just plan to eventually upgrade and grab a second RX 480 and figured at that point I would want a 144hz monitor. I just wanted to make sure if I buy this monitor before my second GPU, it will have no problems with just one card. 

Hey Ik I'm very very late but please don't buy another Rx480 crossfire is utter garbage. Trust me I have 2 Rx480s