Is there a program that randomly selects an article from "Wikipedia:Unusual Articles"?

Go to solution Solved by xvantok,

So to anyone who reads this in the future, I worked out a way to do it (this only works for devices that can use workflow).

I created a new pocket account and then went through the Unusual Wikipedia Articles list, adding each article to this new Pocket account (Note: you can tag them if you want to do this with a Pocket account you use for other stuff, but for that I recommend going through afterwards, mass tagging them with the multi-select tool).

Then I bought and downloaded Workflow onto my iPad and iPhone and used this workflow (https://workflow.is/workflows/4e52c3ac672b4a3ba75ff6efb69f9f76) adjusting the notification it prompts you to something of my own choosing.

Voila!

It works.  In addition you could probably tamper the workflow slightly to have it prompt you at certain times if you want to but I haven't got round to trying.

Thanks for the help though!

So I thought about this idea and I want to know if there is an app for it (idealy on iOS) that, in a very similar way to StumbleUpon, just randomly goes through the articles on the Wikipedia:Unusual Articles.

Alternativly is there a way you can set up another app, e.g. FlipBoard/Stumble Upon, that would do this operation?
Cheers

Xvantok

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.

I used to have a cron bash script on my home server that would retrieve certain pages with wget and trim them to relevant information with grep and sed.

Obviously those tools aren't available on iOS, but I guess you could point your browser to a Linux web server that runs a script like that and then redirects you to a random Wikipedia entry.

3 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

WP has a random function here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random

That doesn't ping the Wikipedia:Unusual articles page though. It works for categories, which none of the unusual articles are tagged as such.

OP could go and tag every one of them and hope nobody undos the tagging.

• 3 weeks later...

So to anyone who reads this in the future, I worked out a way to do it (this only works for devices that can use workflow).

I created a new pocket account and then went through the Unusual Wikipedia Articles list, adding each article to this new Pocket account (Note: you can tag them if you want to do this with a Pocket account you use for other stuff, but for that I recommend going through afterwards, mass tagging them with the multi-select tool).

Then I bought and downloaded Workflow onto my iPad and iPhone and used this workflow (https://workflow.is/workflows/4e52c3ac672b4a3ba75ff6efb69f9f76) adjusting the notification it prompts you to something of my own choosing.

Voila!

It works.  In addition you could probably tamper the workflow slightly to have it prompt you at certain times if you want to but I haven't got round to trying.

Thanks for the help though!

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.