New EVGA 1080 FTW Design Problem

HungryHamster

Looks like ANOTHER design / manufacturing issue was discovered on the 1080 FTW (and possible other 10 series EVGA cards).

http://forums.evga.com/What-i-supposed-to-do-with-my-1080-FTW-m2568851.aspx

Apparently the GPU chip isn't in contact with the cooling radiator AND the memory chip isn't in contact with the thermal pads on the thermal plate.

Just last week it was discovered that a poor PCB layout was responsible for severe VRAM and VRM section overheating. This was proven by tests conducted by TomsHardware.

EVGA was forced to issue an official response after massive online backlash. They basically said, it's hot but it won't lead to damage unless you use furmark. They then offered free thermal pads to those wanting to fix their cards.

Just thought I'd let people know since I often see the EVGA 1080 FTW being recommended on here. Between the black screen issues, the hot PCB layout, and this recently discovered issue, I really can't recommend it. I greatly regret not going with ASUS Strix instead.

I think this would be better in the news section? Not sure.

Aside from that, this is sad, but at least they don't explode! :P

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Just now, Xanthe_2871 said:

I think this would be better in the news section? Not sure.

Aside from that, this is sad, but at least they don't explode! :P

Apologies if this was not the appropriate section to post this in.

Actually, some of them have been reported to blow up (sparks/fire). :(

2 minutes ago, HungryHamster said:

Actually, some of them have been reported to blow up (sparks/fire). :(

Yikes! 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Well EVGA has a reputation for stellar customer service, and I can back that up. If one of their cards goes bad, they will take care of you and fix/replace it. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

No wonder my EVGA card averaged 8-10c higher than any of my other 1080 gtx cards. My ASUS Strix card is 10c lower than the evga card!

EVGA failed with their new acx 3.0 cooling.

First it came out and looked Fugly... but people trust the EVGA name... now this.... Why is it quality control is so bad nowadays? ACX 3.0 is really just a name, obviously means nothing. I'm just surprised I haven't heard more about this.

Didn't EVGA have problems with their last generation coolers too? It seems like their QC has gone completely into the toilet. Really glad I went with the MSI Gaming instead.