And this is why you use RAID5 instead of RAID0

I was copying data from my SSD RAID array to my NAS while watching a movie from the same array, when suddenly the movie and the file transfer froze completely.  I couldn't even force-quit the player, even when trying to kill the process.

Upon hard-resetting the PC, I was greeted with this ...

RIP 850PRO.jpg

Luckily it's a RAID5 array, so I lost no data.  Not that losing data would have been that big a deal, the array only stores temporary files and works in progress and is backed up on a daily basis.

However I now need to go to the store to get a replacement for the dead SSD. 

So there's 2 things to remember from this

1 ) even the 850PRO can suddenly die

2 ) always make sure you have redundancy

Actually there's a third point too

3 ) don't mount your SSDs in such a way that you need to remove the motherboard to get access to them. 

I just found that out the hard way.  Time to tear down half the PC. 

P2190057m.JPG

i have a RAID 0 with a pair of 140GB HDDs, i dont have anything important on them but i am litteraly just sitting here waiting for that message lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I'm not saying that it's not a good idea to run raid 5 instead of raid 0, but making regular backups would mean that one of the drives crashing still doesn't result in any lost data.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

How did the 850 pro die?

Can you post a a screenshot of crystaldiskinfo when you fix your array and boot into windows again?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

28 minutes ago, Enderman said:

a screenshot of crystaldiskinfo

As they are now, same order as in the RAID screen :

ID 0 :

850PRO ID0.jpg

ID 1 :

850PRO ID1.jpg

ID 2 : (this is the one that threw up the error)

850PRO ID2.jpg

ID 3 :

850PRO ID3.jpg

Looking closer at it, I'm not seeing anything wrong with that drive really.  If I get SMART status, the drive obviously still works.  Looks like it has simply been kicked out of the array for some reason. 

Methinks I'm going to do a manual backup, format the drive, do a full disk check and if that goes well I'll try to rebuild the array.

50 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

As they are now, same order as in the RAID screen :

ID 0 :

Looking closer at it, I'm not seeing anything wrong with that drive really.  If I get SMART status, the drive obviously still works.  Looks like it has simply been kicked out of the array for some reason. 

Methinks I'm going to do a manual backup, format the drive, do a full disk check and if that goes well I'll try to rebuild the array.

Yeah the drive is probably fine. I would be really surprised if an 850 pro actually died.

You can see that disk 2 has 16 CRC errors, which means there was an error during data transfer.

https://kb.acronis.com/content/9135

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269937-32-error-count-high-sata-controller-failing

This just looks like the raid array crapped out and made some mistake (like a flipped bit or something), which is pretty common when using motherboard raid instead of a professional raid card.

This is why I don't like raid, sometimes it just fails for no reason and you need to reinstall windows or load a backup.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Completely failed to notice those CRC errors.  Tnx for pointing them out.  Looks like that might be the problem indeed.

Agreed on motherboard RAID, ever since I started using software RAID with ZFS in my NAS I started to dislike my PC's RAID setup TBH.   I'd almost get a single large SSD.  Almost. 

I'm going to connect that 850 to my other PC (I'd rather not take it out of this one, so I'll be hotwiring the whole thing) and have a long hard look at it. 

I'll probably end up formatting it and telling the RAID controller to resilver the array.  If the SSD throws another error, it's RMA time tho. 

That drive (and drive 3) has been in use since 01/2015.  If it had a 2 year warranty, I'd RMA it right away because it's so close to that deadline.  However the PRO comes with 10 years or 150TB, so there's plenty of time to find out if this was just a one-time error or if it's a real problem.