EPS 8-pin + 4-pin... do I use both?

atomicus

My MSI X99A Titanium motherboard has both an 8-pin and 4-pin ATX connector at the top... should I be using both of these? The motherboard does not say, it simply refers to them as ATX connectors. My PSU (EVGA G2 850w) comes with x2 ATX cables, both 4+4 pin, so I could run an extension of one of the 4-pins to the 4-pin on the motherboard (in addition to the 8-pin, making 12 total). I'm a bit baffled as to why the manual doesn't say what to do here.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

Only the 8 pin is needed.

The extra 4 pin is just to supply extra power for overclocking stability or something along those lines.

It's not needed to make the pc work but if your PSU have 2 EPS cables then I don't see any harm in plugging all 8+4 in.

I will be OC'ing (it is a full custom loop), and the PSU has x2 4+4 CPU cables, and I'm using extensions, so easy enough to attach a 4-pin to one side of the 4+4 and plug that in also. If it's going to potentially offer better stability then I might as well do it.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

1 minute ago, atomicus said:

I will be OC'ing (it is a full custom loop), and the PSU has x2 4+4 CPU cables, and I'm using extensions, so easy enough to attach a 4-pin to one side of the 4+4 and plug that in also. If it's going to potentially offer better stability then I might as well do it.

You do not need the 4 pin EPS but if you have them on your PSU connect it all because it will allow more overhead for the motherboard and also be good if you are going to be overclocking which I would highly recommended if you are going to be doing a custom loop because it will allow for a lot of thermal headroom if your loop is big enough.

Great thanks for that, good to know! :)

8 minutes ago, atomicus said:

Even the 4 + 4 by itself is plenty for overclocking.  My x99 Deluxe/U3.1 only comes with one 4 + 4 header and I've been known to run an absurd amount of voltage on my 5960x.  Never had an issue at all hitting some really high clock speeds.

Use everything they give you if you can.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020