Removing Ram Heatspreader

LLOYD-AF
Go to solution Solved by LLOYD-AF,

Well I got the spreaders off, they were held on with little sticky pads which I'm assuming are thermal pads?

Only needed a little pressure, not much at all and they came apart with ease, light bar slides off and will be easy to paint.

Anyone else looking to get this ram will have no problem painting them.

Have fun.

Hey people,

I just bought some Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 Ram with the plan to remove the light bar and paint it.

Now I've gone and fudged up because I didn't do my research and having opened the box it does not look as easy to take apart as Dominators are, anyone removed the light bar or heat spreader? or any ideas where to start.

Thank you.

Azure Fists - "Grown men playing with each other since 2009"

Spoiler
Spoiler

CPU : Intel® Core™ i5-4590T, OS : Windows 10 64bit + Custom Alienware Console Interface, GPU : NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5, RAM : 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz, SSD : Kingston V300 240GB, WIFI : Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0, CASE : Alienware Alpha, PSU : External Power Brick, MOBO : Custom Dell Motherboard.

Spoiler

CPU : i5 6600, Mobo : Asus Z97i-Plus, RAM : 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance LED, GPU : Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080, Case : Silverstone RVZ02, Storage : SanDisk 1TB M.2, PSU : Silverstone Strider SST-SX700-LG, Display(s) : AOC Q2963PM 29" IPS Ultra Wide 21:9, Fans : Noctua NH-L9i with Be Quiet Pure Wings 2, Keyboard : Razer Blackwidow Stealth 2015, Mouse : Razer Naga 2015, Sound : LG Wireless Soundbar /Razer Kraken Pro, OS : Windows 10

4 minutes ago, LLOYD-AF said:

Hey people,

I just bought some Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 Ram with the plan to remove the light bar and paint it.

Now I've gone and fudged up because I didn't do my research and having opened the box it does not look as easy to take apart as Dominators are, anyone removed the light bar or heat spreader? or any ideas where to start.

Thank you.

try using electricians painters tape for around lightbar and painting over that. sounds easier to me than complete disassembly. 

1 minute ago, tlink said:

try using electricians tape for around lightbar and painting over that. sounds easier to me than complete disassembly. 

I was looking at doing that but if you look closely there are small gaps you can't seal off that go onto the pcb, I'm hoping the heat spreader is clipped onto the pcb and not glued etc, any idea?

Spoiler
Spoiler

CPU : Intel® Core™ i5-4590T, OS : Windows 10 64bit + Custom Alienware Console Interface, GPU : NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5, RAM : 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz, SSD : Kingston V300 240GB, WIFI : Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0, CASE : Alienware Alpha, PSU : External Power Brick, MOBO : Custom Dell Motherboard.

Spoiler

CPU : i5 6600, Mobo : Asus Z97i-Plus, RAM : 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance LED, GPU : Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080, Case : Silverstone RVZ02, Storage : SanDisk 1TB M.2, PSU : Silverstone Strider SST-SX700-LG, Display(s) : AOC Q2963PM 29" IPS Ultra Wide 21:9, Fans : Noctua NH-L9i with Be Quiet Pure Wings 2, Keyboard : Razer Blackwidow Stealth 2015, Mouse : Razer Naga 2015, Sound : LG Wireless Soundbar /Razer Kraken Pro, OS : Windows 10

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Look for any screws and unscrew them, then use a hairdryer or something like that to soften up the thermal pads or whatever before gently trying to twist the heat spreader off. GENTLY. 

Yep this is one option, if nobody replies in the next few days with a guide or saying they have already done it, that's what I'll do.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

You can do this with a heatgun but you might break the ram the black things i believe its called mosfets ? Its risky wouldent try it on premium dominator dimms.

Just now, xgn said:

You can do this with a heatgun but you might break the ram the black things i believe its called mosfets ? Its risky wouldent try it on premium dominator dimms.

Mosfets are power delivery. I think they're just called RAM chips :P (I can't really remember)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Mosfets are power delivery. I think they're just called RAM chips :P (I can't really remember)

Basicly this, Those can fall of if something goes wrong.

Untitled.png

1 minute ago, xgn said:

Basicly this, Those can fall of if something goes wrong.

Untitled.png

RAM chips, I know what you meant. I tore some off a DDR2 stick when I was pissed off the other day. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Well I got the spreaders off, they were held on with little sticky pads which I'm assuming are thermal pads?

Only needed a little pressure, not much at all and they came apart with ease, light bar slides off and will be easy to paint.

Anyone else looking to get this ram will have no problem painting them.

Have fun.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler