Anti static wrist strap?

Rock04

I believe I clip the bare metal frame when in use. Power off of course. I have read that u should or shouldn't unplug computer. 

Thoughts on which is correct

Install the psu, plug it in, power it off. Clip the wrist strap to anywhere on the case. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

17 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Install the psu, plug it in, power it off. Clip the wrist strap to anywhere on the case. 

NEVER, JAMAIS, NIE, NI, NOOIT, INOOIZ EZ, NENIAM ... hard wire yourself to an earth and a potentialy live (switches could be FUBAR[OK not very likely but possible]) circuit. A lot of people think the risk of all required switches failing closed is so low as to be discounted and allow the plugged in but unpowered PSU provide a path to earth I however think you do not want to earth anything you want everything at the same voltage

Remember you do not want to reduce anything to zero volts you want to equalise everything to the same PD.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

3 minutes ago, soup said:

NEVER, JAMAIS, NIE, NI, NOOIT, INOOIZ EZ, ... hard wire yourself to an earth and a potentialy live (switches could be FUBAR[OK not very likely but possible]) circuit.

Fair enough, that is just the way ive always been told to do it. Even if the switch is on, the case is only in contact with the grounding wires in the PSU.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

2 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Fair enough, that is just the way ive always been told to do it. Even if the switch is on, the case is only in contact with the grounding wires in the PSU.

See my edit. Well not really an edit as such, more I had pressed submit when I was only half way through.

"This too shall pass"

If you are switching a PSU out of a completed build, what. Do you do?  I should have specified that I'm swapping basic psu to a 600 watt and then adding allow-med quality graphics card.

28 minutes ago, Rock04 said:

If you are switching a PSU out of a completed build, what. Do you do?  I should have specified that I'm swapping basic psu to a 600 watt and then adding allow-med quality graphics card.

Unplug the PC, hook up your wrist strap to the case, and remove the old psu, put in the new one, and that's all!

6 hours ago, soup said:

NEVER, JAMAIS, NIE, NI, NOOIT, INOOIZ EZ, NENIAM ... hard wire yourself to an earth and a potentialy live (switches could be FUBAR[OK not very likely but possible]) circuit. A lot of people think the risk of all required switches failing closed is so low as to be discounted and allow the plugged in but unpowered PSU provide a path to earth I however think you do not want to earth anything you want everything at the same voltage

Remember you do not want to reduce anything to zero volts you want to equalise everything to the same PD.

Most of these straps have an in-series resistor, so they have an impedance of >100k (usually ~1M).

May Our Framerates Be High And Our Temperatures Be Low.

PSUs: EVGA B2/G2/GQ/GS, Corsair RMx/i, Grey-Label CXM, Everything Seasonic/Delta/Super Flower, XFX except XT

Use pcpartpicker.com

7 hours ago, WEEEEEE said:

Most of these straps have an in-series resistor, so they have an impedance of >100k (usually ~1M).

Quite probably.

TBH I have never actually used one .  Attended college a couple of evenings during my A+ for practical/hands on stuff (you could read till tomorrow about push so and so with about as much force as a... but actually doing it allows you to feel in ten seconds how much force to use) . The lecturer there said for any CIA exam question you must state that you have taken appropriate ESD precautions including wearing a wrist strap then went on to say in practise so many use them wrong, and if you are sensible they don't actually do anythingmuch; so they will NOT be used . 

He did say that due to the (limited) circuitry (sounds like WEEEEs resistor) in it, they need to be PAT tested so that was another reason they were never used . This was five~sixyears ago components are even more hardened to ESD nowadays.

People are too precious about ESD, as long as you are sensible no scuffing feet etc and you touch an (unpainted) part of the case occasionly you should be fine.

If you are paranoid by all means use a strap (they are really quite cheap) but DO NOT hardwire yourself to earth

"This too shall pass"