Cutting apart cases and sticking your own version back together

Squish4058

So I have a desktop, (my first build), it should be in my sig, and im currently going to uni, so carrying to and from uni twice or more per term is getting a tad annoying, Its definatley possible, but could be easier.

That and I plan to save up and do some watercooling or just cooling upgrades soon and my case is at its limit with 

2x 200mm fans

3x 120mm fans

So I essentially plan to make something like this http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-o7s/
With a few changes, main objectives are

1.Dont care how tall or long it is, so long as it remains no wider than needed to fit 120mm fans

2.PSU in its normal place, obvs sideways

3. 4 120mm fans on the top, 3 on the front (4 if I can) and as many as I can fit on the back, maybe some also on the side for GPU intake. 
You are probably thinking thats a lot of fans but I plan to use them at low RPM and in the future lots of watercooling :D

The important question

I am posting here because I am not simply making it out of wood, I want to buy some cheap cases of ebay and literally cut parts from it like the motherboard trays, IO panel, IO shield and stuffs
I might use some sheet metal frame I could make at uni If I am aloud.
I was just wondering if anyone has ever made a case out of other cases?
and if anyone has tips on case building such as a nice little website to get measurements for stuff like drive bay holes and motherboard standoffs?

do you already had a case, in maybe the comp you may be using for your post here? there you could probably find your drive bay dimensions, do you have the mobo you plan to use for this build? just measure the holes. as for frankensteining cases, i havent but would be interested in seeing such a concoction 

On 9/24/2016 at 2:22 AM, jonnylaw13 said:

do you already had a case, in maybe the comp you may be using for your post here? there you could probably find your drive bay dimensions, do you have the mobo you plan to use for this build? just measure the holes. as for frankensteining cases, i havent but would be interested in seeing such a concoction 

yeah current on in my sig is up to date, its a fully working PC, apart from the fact its huge and the volume could be pretty much halved xD

I will give it a try over christmas, 

Im thinking of sheet metal for the top,bottom, front and back, sides from another case which will be cut to shape and fitted with heavy duty velco, motherboard tray cut off another cheap case and mounted in, in addition to custom wooden mounts for psu, and drives

24 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

yeah current on in my sig is up to date, its a fully working PC, apart from the fact its huge and the volume could be pretty much halved xD

I will give it a try over christmas, 

Im thinking of sheet metal for the top,bottom, front and back, sides from another case which will be cut to shape and fitted with heavy duty velco, motherboard tray cut off another cheap case and mounted in, in addition to custom wooden mounts for psu, and drives

using wood for just the mounts sounds, well like not enough wood lol but i think it you painted the case a deep red with a natural stain on the wood could look very nice, as for the 912, ive never seen one irl but id love to get my hands on one to paint! whats the velcro for? removable mobo tray? 

On 9/25/2016 at 5:00 PM, jonnylaw13 said:

using wood for just the mounts sounds, well like not enough wood lol but i think it you painted the case a deep red with a natural stain on the wood could look very nice, as for the 912, ive never seen one irl but id love to get my hands on one to paint! whats the velcro for? removable mobo tray? 

side panels, dw its like industrial strength velcro aha. and I have this hand moldable plastic I can use at the mounting points of the wood and its a lot stronger than wood