"Scrapyard Build" CPU Cooler? [SOLVED]

MoeCis

Hey y'all

I've been trying to build a "Scrapyard PC" that is capable of gaming at a reasonable amount and im hitting some problems right now...

so i've started with an Asus ASRock G43Twins FullHD motherboard that i acquired for free so i thought i build up something around that and went for a Q9550 for CPU, a GTX 660, 8gb 1333mhz ram and a 550w Ultron Silent Force as PSU, thats what ive got so far...aside from a crappy old case that im going to refurbish with a nice paintjob :)

now the problem(s): i want to overclock the cpu but i have absolutely no idea what air cooler i should get for that matter...im eyeing an Xigmatek S1284 Achilles right now, but i have absolutely no idea if thats enough to keep the cpu cool...thats my main concern right now^^

side questions would be concerning the ram with 1333mhz as the board only supports 1066mhz but i guess i can dial it back down in bios but would i gain anything from that? guess not, but would it even be harmfull in any way?o.O

last and little question is, if the PSU with 550w is enough :D 

thats it, i would be thankfull for any help :)

ps.: sorry for any misspelling, im german so...me no native english tounge, but i guess it will do :ph34r:

The Achillies should be fine. 

Lowering the clock speed would make the ram a bit slower but it shouldn't be something that noticeable and wouldn't be harmful. 

Not sure about the psu but it seems like it should be fine since the system isn't drawing that much power.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Wow, thank you so much for your fast reply, you're awesome! :) 

I did something similar to you, but I watercooler it. I did cost a bit much more than a used air cooler (50-60 ish) but it worked great

few things i wanna add:

- use plenty of thermal paste with that cooler, it's not like modern day "nice and flat surface on the bottom" cpu coolers.

- it's *only* a 95 watt TDP chip, its not all that bad.

- the ram doesnt decide for itself how fast it goes, the ram just has a chip which contains it's "optimal" speeds, which the cpu/mobo can read out and act accordingly.

if the ram says "i can run a bajillion hertzes" the motherboard will say "good fo you bro, i only support 1066, so it'll be 1066."

6 minutes ago, IskanderEXC said:

I did something similar to you, but I watercooler it. I did cost a bit much more than a used air cooler (50-60 ish) but it worked great

thanks for the tip, but a watercooler wouldnt really fit in my set budget i guess....besides im completely lost on "watercooler turf" so to say :$ 

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

few things i wanna add:

- use plenty of thermal paste with that cooler, it's not like modern day "nice and flat surface on the bottom" cpu coolers.

- it's *only* a 95 watt TDP chip, its not all that bad.

- the ram doesnt decide for itself how fast it goes, the ram just has a chip which contains it's "optimal" speeds, which the cpu/mobo can read out and act accordingly.

if the ram says "i can run a bajillion hertzes" the motherboard will say "good fo you bro, i only support 1066, so it'll be 1066."

okay, thanks for the tips, i will keep that in mind :) 

ive already lapped the cpu, so at least that has a super even surface right now, i hope that will help xD