Desk height & screen distance

Ambious

Hello!

I've been having elbow pains for several years now, which I've traced to bad ergonomics. I find myself leaning on my elbow a lot when in front of the screen, and I suspect my desk height may be the culprit. I have an ergonomic silicone pillow I use to alleviate the stress, but it's obviously not a real solution.

My desk is luckily adjustable, albeit not easily, so before I start messing around with it - I'd like some tips. I've read conflicting suggestions online, including some LTT and NCIX videos which - while helpful - weren't very definitive.

What would you recommend? Currently the desk is slightly higher than my arms if I leave them at a 90 degree angle at the side of my body, but not by a lot. Also, since I've gotten a bit fatter with old age, I have recently started feeling the desk pressing against my beer belly, which isn't very comfortable. I COULD move the monitors closer, but that'll take up precious desk real-estate, and only one of my monitors has a VESA mounting port so for now an adjustable arm isn't a viable option.

Thanks in advance!

From what I read your arms should form a 90 degree bend at the elbow as you said, and your arms shouldn't be resting on anything.

I wish my desk were adjustable. I like to lean back in my chair to alleviate pressure on my spine, but then my arms are a few inches below the desk.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

Its rare to have hight adjustable desk. So you better start with getting chair into right height. That being when your legs are comfortable and you can keep them at 45* angle. Then get table so that arm rests are at the same height with table. Or bit lower. Your shoulders should be relaxed, not drooping too low or lifted too high.

Wrist rests and need for them is individual thing and also depends on keyboard. I don't use any with mouse, but like to have them with any keyboard I use. It makes better to keep wrist "active" and not have them drooped down when writing longer texts.

Monitor placing is also bit individual and depends on your monitor size and eyesight. Like I have 24'' main screen which is about 45cm from my face. And at the height where middle of screen is straigth in from of my eyes. If you look any guides on how to setup screen placement, they tell to have middle of screen so that you can look it at 45* angle while sitting with back straight.

E: Just remembered that I have pic from me sitting at the desk. I'm 183/4cm, desk's top is at 72cm, chairs seat at 47cm and armrests at 70cm. I can't adjust armrests smoothly and would like them at the same level with desk. But lower is better because notch higher is too high.

Spoiler

IMG_2683.jpg

My keyboard has changed since this pic and uses bit higher wrist rest. Also main screen has been lifted for 5-7cm. Which also allowed with smaller kb to bring it bit closer. Less neck issues for me.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks for the tips!

I'll try lowering my desk a bit for starters.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to resurrect a really old thread, but I just realized I never updated it.

Lowering the desk did wonders, but what REALLY helped was getting a VESA arm, since I can now adjust the height and distance of the monitors on the fly and my "desk real-estate" as I put it is no longer an issue!

Just in case anyone else has this problem - now you know what helped for me :-)