Case fan configuration - Am I doing it right?

Zepher-Tensho

A few months back I built a new desktop (pictured in my avatar, I'll post a build log later in the appropriate thread), and I'm wondering if I have the case fans blowing the right way.

On the back, I have a watercooler that's also basically acting as the rear vent. On the front, I have a fan pulling air into the case.

The part I'm not sure about is the fans at the top. There are two 120mm fans on the top, pushing air out. The reason I'm not sure if this is "right" is because I barely feel a breeze coming from them, even with them turned up to max (this case has a fan controller). I feel that they don't vent air well because they're fighting the airflow caused by the more powerful fan on the watercooler.

So what do you think? Leave them acting as vents? Or should they be pulling more fresh air?

Also note that after the time of taking this picture, a GTX 770 was added, and it seems to throw a lot of its heat into the case when I'm gaming.

IMG_3798.JPG

Top intake is a no no.

Leave it as exhaust, you don't want dust pouring in from the top now do you?

Just now, Aytex said:

I would just disconnect the top two fans

If the case comes with top cover/dust filter then yea, the 2 fans can go.

Remove the top fans. Let it be a passive exhaust.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Seems to be unanimous lol. I'll just turn them off until I get around to removing them. There is a dust filter in the top so it should be okay. The case did also come with an alternate top cover that's solid, and it's interchangable. I'll probably snap that back on as well.

10 hours ago, Zepher-Tensho said:

Seems to be unanimous lol. I'll just turn them off until I get around to removing them. There is a dust filter in the top so it should be okay. The case did also come with an alternate top cover that's solid, and it's interchangable. I'll probably snap that back on as well.

No, your fans are fine as is. Your hand is not a good tool for measuring airflow. Looks at your temps.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

No, your fans are fine as is. Your hand is not a good tool for measuring airflow. Looks at your temps.

I do, I have a temp probe for the case temp, although to be fair I have it sitting next to the CPU. Doesn't seem to make a tremendous difference, but when the graphics card is running hot, it helps a little. Mostly I was just worried that it might affect the water cooler's ability to vent air.

4 hours ago, Zepher-Tensho said:

I do, I have a temp probe for the case temp, although to be fair I have it sitting next to the CPU. Doesn't seem to make a tremendous difference, but when the graphics card is running hot, it helps a little. Mostly I was just worried that it might affect the water cooler's ability to vent air.

Flipping the fans to exhaust can help for temps. It doesn't hurt to experiment. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.