Help me to pick a laptop?

Go to solution Solved by RadeonHD7350(best gpu),

nvm... lol

any good upgradeable laptops atm? with cheap upgrades

1 minute ago, RadeonHD7350(best gpu) said:

and by is it that big i meant are the problems that big... lol sorry -_-

eGPU doesn't work well with MOST laptops and the Core only works with Razer laptops exclusively at the time of writing this. The CPU in the Blade Stealth will bottleneck your 970 badly as it's slower than a desktop i3 and the Blade 14 has serious heat and fan noise issues.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

nvm... lol

I5 4460 | H97m Anniversary | 16gb | GTX 970 | thermaltake versa n21 case  | Seagate 1tb hdd | Thermaltake PSU
Mouse | I had a few gray hamsters, they died a few years ago. They were Bobo, Seed and Seed 2.0.
Keyboard | scrabble
OS | MachromindowsteamuxOS

Just now, RadeonHD7350(best gpu) said:

nvm... lol

@D2ultima is the person to ask for those.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

i don't think i should pm him... thats kinda impolite. where should i ask him?

I5 4460 | H97m Anniversary | 16gb | GTX 970 | thermaltake versa n21 case  | Seagate 1tb hdd | Thermaltake PSU
Mouse | I had a few gray hamsters, they died a few years ago. They were Bobo, Seed and Seed 2.0.
Keyboard | scrabble

7 minutes ago, RadeonHD7350(best gpu) said:

no. there's good upgradeable laptops. not cheap ones and certainly not cheap upgrades. but we literally don't know whether MXM is only to remain consistent cause fucking nvidia. Lowest upgradeable laptop of this current gen is a P750DM and that starts at like 1800USD or so. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Most existing upgrade-able laptops won't hold any pascal chips (assuming they could even cool them). So you'd best grab machines that come out AFTER the Pascal chips.

No mobile CPUs are upgrade-able.

No gigabyte/Aorus, Alienware or ASUS laptop can change anything but RAM/storage. Only MSI GT72/80 can change their GPUs. Only Clevo P7xxZM, P7xxDM and P870DM can change both CPU and GPUs. P7xxZM are dead upgrades; Z97 chipset is dead. No idea if Kaby lake will work on the DM models.

No guarantee that any pascal GPU will fit in any of the models I called (except GT72 which it is contractually obligated to do) because nVidia provided no reference MXM designs for any pascal mobile chips.

And finally, no. Upgrades will not be cheap.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Just now, D2ultima said:

Most existing upgrade-able laptops won't hold any pascal chips (assuming they could even cool them). So you'd best grab machines that come out AFTER the Pascal chips.

No mobile CPUs are upgrade-able.

No gigabyte/Aorus, Alienware or ASUS laptop can change anything but RAM/storage. Only MSI GT72/80 can change their GPUs. Only Clevo P7xxZM, P7xxDM and P870DM can change both CPU and GPUs. P7xxZM are dead upgrades; Z97 chipset is dead. No idea if Kaby lake will work on the DM models.

No guarantee that any pascal GPU will fit in any of the models I called (except GT72 which it is contractually obligated to do) because nVidia provided no reference MXM designs for any pascal mobile chips.

And finally, no. Upgrades will not be cheap.

well shit. Should i just get the egpu?

Keyboard | scrabble

2 minutes ago, RadeonHD7350(best gpu) said:

well shit. Should i just get the egpu?

Don't waste your $$ on the Razer core. Get like a $1300-$1400 laptop with a 1060 in it. It'll beat your 970.

The Razer Core uses Optimus/Enduro, so things that have a problem with such switchable graphics solutions (like Dragon Age Inquisition, Blizzard games, etc) are going to have problems with the core. AND it's from Razer. It also needs you to have a Thunderbolt 3 port, generally in USB 3.1 type-C format. You aren't getting those in super cheap laptops like your budget wants, unless it's a machine designed for it like the Razer Blade Stealth, which is a shitty ULV-using CPU (worse than the worst buy-able desktop i3 selling right now) which it STILL overheats.

Wait and see how the upgrade to Clevo's P650RE ends up. It'll probably be in-budget with a 6700HQ and a 1060 and beat any machine using the eGPU solution, and it has a MUX switch so you'll get dGPU-only support when you need it or be able to switch to Optimus mode when you need battery life (this will require a reboot).

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

55 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Don't waste your $$ on the Razer core. Get like a $1300-$1400 laptop with a 1060 in it. It'll beat your 970.

The Razer Core uses Optimus/Enduro, so things that have a problem with such switchable graphics solutions (like Dragon Age Inquisition, Blizzard games, etc) are going to have problems with the core. AND it's from Razer. It also needs you to have a Thunderbolt 3 port, generally in USB 3.1 type-C format. You aren't getting those in super cheap laptops like your budget wants, unless it's a machine designed for it like the Razer Blade Stealth, which is a shitty ULV-using CPU (worse than the worst buy-able desktop i3 selling right now) which it STILL overheats.

Wait and see how the upgrade to Clevo's P650RE ends up. It'll probably be in-budget with a 6700HQ and a 1060 and beat any machine using the eGPU solution, and it has a MUX switch so you'll get dGPU-only support when you need it or be able to switch to Optimus mode when you need battery life (this will require a reboot).

when is it coming out?

Keyboard | scrabble

7 hours ago, RadeonHD7350(best gpu) said:

when is it coming out?

Next couple of weeks, I'd say. September they should be out.

10 hours ago, RadeonHD7350(best gpu) said:

and by is it that big i meant are the problems that big... lol sorry -_-

I would suggest you wait a month or 2 before you buy the core, cheaper options are coming soon so you can spend the extra cash on a quad core machine instead

Spoiler

I'm a ninja..don't tell anyone! :ph34r:

7 hours ago, moeillo said:

I would suggest you wait a month or 2 before you buy the core, cheaper options are coming soon so you can spend the extra cash on a quad core machine instead

yeah. that's a good idea. although, do you know any quad core rigs with thunderbolt? i need them to be as flashy as possible.

Keyboard | scrabble

8 hours ago, D2ultima said:

Next couple of weeks, I'd say. September they should be out.

you mean those MSI ones? msi said they will be out next week. but i'm guessing its super expensive. but do you think i should wait for cheaper egpu solutions or get an upgradeable laptoP?

Keyboard | scrabble

11 minutes ago, RadeonHD7350(best gpu) said:

you mean those MSI ones? msi said they will be out next week. but i'm guessing its super expensive. but do you think i should wait for cheaper egpu solutions or get an upgradeable laptoP?

I'd say don't bother with eGPU solutions and don't expect upgrade-able laptops in the future (for the most part). It's better you just get a decent machine that you know will satisfy you for performance, and keep it. The market didn't care about upgrade-ability and voted with wallets that it wasn't necessary, so it isn't really here right now. It's sad, but that's the way it is. If you want, you can message me around the 20th and I'll suggest a machine for you.

37 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

If you want, you can message me around the 20th

Is something happening on the 20th?

Laptop Main

Just now, Pendragon said:

Is something happening on the 20th?

MSI's announcing on the 16th. Clevo messed up and released some service manuals already. Just waiting for the models to launch to see prices. ASUS doesn't matter. Alienware... I'll be surprised if they do anything. HP/Acer/Razer/Gigabyte might as well not exist with how hot Pascal is; their entire lines are basically discarded instantly. They'll need serious revamps.

3 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Clevo messed up and released some service manuals already.

Mind linking some of these? Also had a change to play with eGPU, and there is some REAL performance degradation even with the 6820hk i tested on. Like its so real. 20%. The bandwidth wasn't the problem. No idea where the performance is lost. 

Sigh, MSI is so ugly. ):

Laptop Main

Just now, Pendragon said:

Mind linking some of these?

They're taken down now. I don't know if someone has links to mirrors of them. But you can check the most active thread about the new models, the P870DM2/P870DM3 thread on NBR. Pretty much Clevo confirmed i7-6700K/GTX 1080 SLI/120Hz... people kind of broke in anticipation.

5 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

They're taken down now. I don't know if someone has links to mirrors of them. But you can check the most active thread about the new models, the P870DM2/P870DM3 thread on NBR. Pretty much Clevo confirmed i7-6700K/GTX 1080 SLI/120Hz... people kind of broke in anticipation.

1080 SLI LOL WUT. Jeez. Clevo outdid themselves. Hmmm wonder what they can fit on the P640RE, P650RG or P750DM. I think my wallet broke down in anticipation LOL. 

Laptop Main

THE POWER BRICK(S) IS GOING TO BIGGER AND HEAVIER THAN MY WORKSTATION LOL

Laptop Main

5 hours ago, D2ultima said:

I'd say don't bother with eGPU solutions and don't expect upgrade-able laptops in the future (for the most part). It's better you just get a decent machine that you know will satisfy you for performance, and keep it. The market didn't care about upgrade-ability and voted with wallets that it wasn't necessary, so it isn't really here right now. It's sad, but that's the way it is. If you want, you can message me around the 20th and I'll suggest a machine for you.

yea thanks for that. i guess i'll get a pascal upgradeable laptop. JUST IN CASE i felt like sticking with the old one for another year.

can't wait for pascal upgradeable laptops! you better not disappoint me msi... besides, is it possible for laptops that use desktop cpus and mxm chips to stay under 2000 dollars?

4 hours ago, Pendragon said:

THE POWER BRICK(S) IS GOING TO BIGGER AND HEAVIER THAN MY WORKSTATION LOL

when i saw the post i was imagining people plugging their "ultraportable gaming laptops" to the transformers

Keyboard | scrabble

6 hours ago, RadeonHD7350(best gpu) said:

yeah. that's a good idea. although, do you know any quad core rigs with thunderbolt? i need them to be as flashy as possible.

This spreadsheet has all the TB3 laptops on it

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12G1VTFWkTL5tb8nxUAtnDHwTLyya9I3Vw-OXXrIN4e4/edit#gid=0

Upcoming TB3 eGPU's

1. Akitio thunder3 PCIE/egpu
  2. PowerColor DEVIL BOX ($300-$400)
  3. Gigabyte GP-T3GFx
  4. ASUS ROG XG2
  5. inXtron (DIY) Thunderbolt 3 Hardware Developer Kit ($280)
Spoiler

1 minute ago, moeillo said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12G1VTFWkTL5tb8nxUAtnDHwTLyya9I3Vw-OXXrIN4e4/edit#gid=0

Upcoming TB3 eGPU's

1. Akitio thunder3 PCIE/egpu
  2. PowerColor DEVIL BOX ($300-$400)
  3. Gigabyte GP-T3GFx
  4. ASUS ROG XG2
  5. inXtron (DIY) Thunderbolt 3 Hardware Developer Kit ($280)

yes i've read that when you first sent it. but the akitio one isn't really designed for gpus. all those laptops are too expensive!

Keyboard | scrabble

1 minute ago, RadeonHD7350(best gpu) said:

yes i've read that when you first sent it. but the akitio one isn't really designed for gpus. all those laptops are too expensive!

Acer Aspire V nitro B.Edition seems to be the cheapest quad core laptop on the list.

The old akitio pcie expansion enclosure wasn't but the new one is.

intel-nuc-egpu-akitio-thunderbolt3-pcie-box-690.jpg

Spoiler

cool! but it looks like its bigger than my desktop.

any insights of the pricing?

Keyboard | scrabble