Help me to pick a laptop?

Go to solution Solved by RadeonHD7350(best gpu),

nvm... lol

any good upgradeable laptops atm? with cheap upgrades

and i just noticed. there's a typo on msi's "Alter Your Reality" website.

I5 4460 | H97m Anniversary | 16gb | GTX 970 | thermaltake versa n21 case  | Seagate 1tb hdd | Thermaltake PSU
Mouse | I had a few gray hamsters, they died a few years ago. They were Bobo, Seed and Seed 2.0.
Keyboard | scrabble
OS | MachromindowsteamuxOS

1 minute ago, RadeonHD7350(best gpu) said:

cool! but it looks like its bigger than my desktop.

any insights of the pricing?

none yet, but the thunder2 was $189 so lets hope this one is in the same price range

Spoiler

I'm a ninja..don't tell anyone! :ph34r:

hell i'd take it even if its $300

I5 4460 | H97m Anniversary | 16gb | GTX 970 | thermaltake versa n21 case  | Seagate 1tb hdd | Thermaltake PSU
Mouse | I had a few gray hamsters, they died a few years ago. They were Bobo, Seed and Seed 2.0.
Keyboard | scrabble

10 minutes ago, RadeonHD7350(best gpu) said:

hell i'd take it even if its $300

Acer VN7-592G –  around $900-$950

I was going to buy this one when I was looking for a TB3 Quad core machine, but I had some extra cash so I decided to go with the Ghost Pro instead since it's lighter.

Spoiler

I'm a ninja..don't tell anyone! :ph34r:

34 minutes ago, RadeonHD7350(best gpu) said:

besides, is it possible for laptops that use desktop cpus and mxm chips to stay under 2000 dollars?

no, not newly released

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

10 hours ago, RadeonHD7350(best gpu) said:

yea thanks for that. i guess i'll get a pascal upgradeable laptop. JUST IN CASE i felt like sticking with the old one for another year.

can't wait for pascal upgradeable laptops! you better not disappoint me msi... besides, is it possible for laptops that use desktop cpus and mxm chips to stay under 2000 dollars?

when i saw the post i was imagining people plugging their "ultraportable gaming laptops" to the transformers

Yes, you can get a desktop-CPU-using, MXM-using laptop for under $2000... but what GPU in it is the issue. I think you might be able to get a 6700K + 1060 for under $2000 though. That WILL be upgrade-able to stronger pascal chips, at the very least. And lol MSI. MSI would have to come pretty damn good for me to give them a recommendation. Their GT80 screwups and their desire to use the mobile CPUs that are binned so shittily they can't even be used for desktop i5s (meaning the 6700K at stock is generally about as fast or faster than the max usable OC you'd get out of a 6820HK) and their ridiculous overpricing mean they're not something I often recommend. Their GT72 was a fine machine though, all things considered.

I don't know who claims Desktop Replacement laptops are "ultraportable", but at least I can shove mine into my backpack and walk away without any hassle.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

13 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

That WILL be upgrade-able to stronger pascal chips, at the very least.

Wouldn't there be significant heat issues? 

Laptop Main

7 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Wouldn't there be significant heat issues? 

If he buys a machine that has 1060 and 1070 options with a 1060 he could always swap out for a 1070 later. The machine would be rated to cool at least a 1070.

I don't think any MXM-using machine will be kitted out to handle a 1060 at most. They all should be able to take 1070s.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

4 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

I don't think any MXM-using machine will be kitted out to handle a 1060 at most. They all should be able to take 1070s.

true true, makes sense. I'm assuming the mxm upgrades will make our wallets cry tears as usual then

Laptop Main

8 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

true true, makes sense. I'm assuming the mxm upgrades will make our wallets cry tears as usual then

Well Pascal is more expensive than Maxwell.

7 hours ago, D2ultima said:

Well Pascal is more expensive than Maxwell.

so... which brand(s) should i consider? reviews said msi and razer (or any overpriced brands) its good and "worth the price". do you think they are paid to say this? i can't believe they said razer blade use a "Beefy" cpu (according to cnet) while you guys said it is a sucky cpu. i found some benchmarks online. comparing to other ultrabooks its good, but compared to the 6700hq its bad. lets not compare it with the desktop cpus. that's just unfair. but seriously. are they paid to do this?

Keyboard | scrabble

39 minutes ago, RadeonHD7350(best gpu) said:

so... which brand(s) should i consider? reviews said msi and razer (or any overpriced brands) its good and "worth the price". do you think they are paid to say this? i can't believe they said razer blade use a "Beefy" cpu (according to cnet) while you guys said it is a sucky cpu. i found some benchmarks online. comparing to other ultrabooks its good, but compared to the 6700hq its bad. lets not compare it with the desktop cpus. that's just unfair. but seriously. are they paid to do this?

Yeah, ignore all reviews that say MSI or Razer are "worth the price". If they do it, it's either because they don't know what actually good laptops are (NONE of them use laptops as primary machines and simply accept the incorrect idea that laptops are supposed to be hot, loud, and throttling) or they simply are paid to say that/don't want to lose "good graces" with those companies by saying their products suck.

i7-6700HQ is a 3.1GHz 4-core load CPU. It's trash. Garbage. Hyperthreading is a ~30% boost in performance when taken advantage of. That means a baby-sized overclock of 4GHz on a desktop i5 automagically defeats that CPU at its BEST, and at its worst (single-threaded titles and titles that don't take advantage of hyperthreading) it's beaten by pretty much every i5 sold on a desktop. If a performance notebook is what you want, a 6700HQ is not the CPU. I could bottleneck that in my SLEEP. 6820HK can OC to around 3.8GHz-4GHz without much issue if a laptop has decent cooling, but they need 1.3-1.4v to cross ~4GHz and the heat output and power draw are just too ridiculous to keep as a daily driver for laptops sporting the mobile CPUs in general.

And I don't see why you shouldn't compare it with desktop chips. Sandy Bridge had 3.7GHz unlocked CPUs. So did Ivy Bridge and Haswell. Just like desktop chips. Even the non-unlocked versions went to 3.6GHz on sandy/ivy and 3.7GHz Haswell (4-core boost out-of-the-box here) and were overclockable. 4910MQs could hit 4.3GHz on 4 cores and weren't even unlocked multiplier. Now look at Skylake: 3.1GHz 4-core load entry level chip. 3.4GHz 4-core load on the best out-of-the-box chip. Desktop i7s? 3.7GHz and 4GHz base clocks. Mobile i5 is now quadcore no HT, which is good, but it's 2.8GHz 4-core load *IF* turbo is working (and the low end systems I see getting i5s I wouldn't bet turbo to remain on... I know for sure that a lot of Dell's machines for example like to kill turbo randomly... that'd drop you to 2.3GHz which is worthless for any kind of gaming).

You should consider Clevo and (if they're not overpriced) MSI. ASUS is anti-consumer as fuck. They have awful Quality Control and Quality Assurance, and their machines are designed for users to NOT be able to clean/maintain them easily, and their RMA services are garbage. I would avoid. You can buy them if you want, but that's my recommendation.

Gigabyte/Aorus make very thin machines and I don't know how they're going to handle Pascal's heat. They are a wait-and-see scenario, though I DID see one Aorus machine I considered decent in the past.

Razer, HP and Acer make overheating, throttling, pieces of crap that are generally thin. Acer's mobile 980-using Predator could be ok, I haven't looked much at it, but I would MUCH quicker advise Clevo or MSI over them unless they LITERALLY bring the thunder.

EVGA doesn't understand how to make a gaming laptop.

Alienware is on a straight decline. Their AW17 R2/AW15 R1 machines have a throttle bug with the CPU that affects a lot of users, and broken BIOSes in terms of power usage. The AW17 R3/AW15 R2 have much worse screens and other quality drops, but mostly lack the power/throttle bug. Their AW17 R4/AW15 R3 I don't expect much from. They haven't made top of the line machines since the M18x R2/M17x R5 era, and I don't think they care anymore.

When OEMs and ODMs want to make some good machines, I'll recommend them. Otherwise, I cut out as much of the trash as I can. Right now, the best machines are Prema-modded Clevos. MSI machines are about second place, but really damn expensive for no reason. The rest I wouldn't even consider except in rather special circumstances.

11 hours ago, D2ultima said:

What about the Y900?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

What about the Y900?

I forgot that Lenovo makes gaming-grade laptops. That should speak well enough xD

Just now, D2ultima said:

I forgot that Lenovo makes gaming-grade laptops. That should speak well enough xD

It's their first high end one lol

Only review I can dig up - http://laptopmedia.com/review/lenovo-ideapad-y900-review-the-chinese-powerhouse-is-entering-the-gaming-notebook-race-with-its-premium-and-beastly-offering/

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Honestly Lenovo isn't as bad as HP/Dell/Acer/Razer, but they're not very good either. They often artificially limit their systems' performance and make crap decisions like pairing 860Ms with 4K panels. They also have tons of driver issues, so I very much 

As for that laptop:

- Can't cool Pascal. 1060 would probably overheat.

- Looks like it won't handle a 6820HK either.

- Gamey and Shiny looking, but the inside is nothing really special.

- Lacks optimus and a MUX switch, instantly inferior to P65x and P67x series from Clevo.

- 85c on a 6700HQ is ridiculously hard to get. Probably bad paste job. My sister hasn't seen beyond 70c on hers in Sims 3/Serious Sam 3 BFE/etc with unlocked FPSes, and she has a sub-$1000 system (N155RF). Not even using good paste like ICD or propping up the notebook either.

- Outside temps seem somewhat high.

- Starts at $2000, which I can get FAR more for elsewhere.

I rate garbage. It's more looks than function, and is priced too high. Lenovo isn't trying.

27 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Honestly Lenovo isn't as bad as HP/Dell/Acer/Razer, but they're not very good either. They often artificially limit their systems' performance and make crap decisions like pairing 860Ms with 4K panels. They also have tons of driver issues, so I very much 

As for that laptop:

- Can't cool Pascal. 1060 would probably overheat.

- Looks like it won't handle a 6820HK either.

- Gamey and Shiny looking, but the inside is nothing really special.

- Lacks optimus and a MUX switch, instantly inferior to P65x and P67x series from Clevo.

- 85c on a 6700HQ is ridiculously hard to get. Probably bad paste job. My sister hasn't seen beyond 70c on hers in Sims 3/Serious Sam 3 BFE/etc with unlocked FPSes, and she has a sub-$1000 system (N155RF). Not even using good paste like ICD or propping up the notebook either.

- Outside temps seem somewhat high.

- Starts at $2000, which I can get FAR more for elsewhere.

I rate garbage. It's more looks than function, and is priced too high. Lenovo isn't trying.

Mech keyboard though :D

Just now, don_svetlio said:

Mech keyboard though :D

I'd take a better system and passable keyboard over a good keyboard and barely passable system though.

Also, I ain't touching anything other than Cherry MX Brown switches for the quietness, or whatever it is Logitech uses in their good keyboards also for the quietness. I don't know why people like their gear being loud if they're gonna complain that a laptop's fans are loud.

Just now, D2ultima said:

I'd take a better system and passable keyboard over a good keyboard and barely passable system though.

Also, I ain't touching anything other than Cherry MX Brown switches for the quietness, or whatever it is Logitech uses in their good keyboards also for the quietness. I don't know why people like their gear being loud if they're gonna complain that a laptop's fans are loud.

I really want to see the notebookcheck review. The one LM got was an engineering sample that they snagged from a storage container IIRC.

3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

I really want to see the notebookcheck review. The one LM got was an engineering sample that they snagged from a storage container IIRC.

They'd need a huge revamp of that system and its price before it gets a pass from me though. But I know you like Lenovo. I don't like anyone. I think everyone fucks up and I always pick the least of evils. Even good companies in gaming and whatnot usually betray trust going from one game to the next. Black Ops 1 was buggy and ran like garbage on launch, and they promised to do better with BO2, and they did. Then BO3 was so bad it shouldn't have even been launched on PC. Stuff like that ALWAYS happens... one good product/game/etc doesn't mean the next will be good. So I always gotta check each gen.

1 minute ago, D2ultima said:

They'd need a huge revamp of that system and its price before it gets a pass from me though. But I know you like Lenovo. I don't like anyone. I think everyone fucks up and I always pick the least of evils. Even good companies in gaming and whatnot usually betray trust going from one game to the next. Black Ops 1 was buggy and ran like garbage on launch, and they promised to do better with BO2, and they did. Then BO3 was so bad it shouldn't have even been launched on PC. Stuff like that ALWAYS happens... one good product/game/etc doesn't mean the next will be good. So I always gotta check each gen.

I am hopeful :D - LM said something about Optimus or G-sync being enabled/added and cooling optimization.

Just now, don_svetlio said:

I am hopeful :D - LM said something about Optimus or G-sync being enabled/added and cooling optimization.

Cooling optimization would require a revamp of the entire internal layout. If they're planning on changing the chassis size, motherboard size/shape and heatsink size/shape along with adding bigger/more fans, sure.

Gsync can be added. Optimus means no gsync. I don't know about the MUX switches. Only Alienware had them in the past and now only Clevo has them. The switch only costs about $10 per switch so adding them should cost almost nothing to them, but whatever.

Just now, D2ultima said:

Cooling optimization would require a revamp of the entire internal layout. If they're planning on changing the chassis size, motherboard size/shape and heatsink size/shape along with adding bigger/more fans, sure.

Gsync can be added. Optimus means no gsync. I don't know about the MUX switches. Only Alienware had them in the past and now only Clevo has them. The switch only costs about $10 per switch so adding them should cost almost nothing to them, but whatever.

Wouldn't new paste improve things? I know engineering samples don't stress over the paste they use.

12 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Wouldn't new paste improve things? I know engineering samples don't stress over the paste they use.

Paste affects a few things.

- Paste jobs have a big change. A repaste can do wonders if the original paste is botched.

- Good paste and bad paste make real differences when temps get high. The more to the limit of your cooling system you get the more paste makes sense.

Beyond that, there won't be a huge change. Either way, that cooling system is shared and I don't expect too much from it. It's basically razer's system with a contact plate instead of direct heatpipe contact, which isn't very good in the first place. Maybe the fans are a bit better. Contrast with a P670RG's system, which is a similarly sized machine with similar options for storage/etc (and costs less). With a MUX switch.

There's little point to consider this model. Hence: Lenovo isn't trying.

I was about to hit "fuck it" and get a razer blade (yes literally 2 minutes ago), but i thought I should wait and see what happens and check out what you guys are talking about before making the mistake. So @D2ultima should I consider clevo? And where can i buy them online? because i can't really buy them in real life. They don't really sell those in stores...

And currently what i'm looking for is a desktop grade CPU, 1060, and the price should be under $2000. I'll wait and see what happens on 16th August!

Just asking, is MSI a good brand that sells good stuff but is simply overpriced?

Keyboard | scrabble