AsRock x79 Extreme9 PCIe 3.0 question

I recently purchased an AsRock x79 Extreme9 with a 3930k. After running a few benchmarks I noticed my graphics cards were running @ PCIe 2.0. I've checked that the bios is set to Gen3 on the PCIe lanes, reinstalled graphics drivers, etc. I've read a few posts about the registry hack to enable 3.0 on x79 boards, but when I use it, it crashes the hell out of my computer. The system would become unresponsive 2 seconds after loading into windows and restart itself endlessly. Here's my question - I was looking into buying another graphics card to run 3 way SLI (GTX 680). With the PCIe lanes only running in 2.0, wouldn't that bottleneck the cards? The 3rd PCIe lane is wired for 8x @ 2.0 (should be 3.0). Is there another fix for this, or is it an Intel/NVidia issue?

Current Setup -

AsRock x79 Extreme9

Intel 3930k

Corsair H100i

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB

EVGA Geforce GTX 680 4GB SLI

OCZ ZX 1000w PSU

Your 3930K only supports up to PCI-e 2.0 - that is why you onyl get 2,0 and system crashes when you run the hack to enable 3.0. PCI-e also requires a supported CPU. You are running a Sandy Bridge based CPU and need a Ivy Bridge based one to enable PCI-e 3.0.

PCI-e 2,0 is fine for SLI - I think if you go to three way it runs a 8x on all three slots...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

there shouldn't be that much bottleneck but driver support in games and software is less fir 3 way sli so probably not notice the 3rd card that much. So I would stay with 2 card running at 16x times then three cards running at 8x. also as said above you cpu doesn't support pci gen 3. Hopefully we will get a cpu on socket 2011 that does soon

MB: Gigabyte Auros Gaming 7 Z370 Cpu: Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8ghz Gpu: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming OC 8GB Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz  Psu: Corsair RM1000i 

Ssd's: WD Green nvme m.2 512gb (boot), 480gb (Steam), 480gb (Uplay) and 480gb (Origin)  Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 900D Monitors 1: Asus pb287q @ 75hz