PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

On 8/13/2016 at 5:33 AM, STRMfrmXMN said:

I would say that Tier 3 is probably fine with any single GPU system and Tier 4 is for more basic systems with GTX 950s and the like. If you are streaming using a high-end PC then I would get at least a tier 3 unit, yes.

Pentium IV @ 4.4ghz , 8GB DDR2, R9 380 4GB, 2560x1440p monitor.

Bullshit thread and should be taken with a huge grain of salt and add this song.

Just now, CAPCOM UK said:

What makes a good PSU?

It seems you and a lot of others here are a bit blinded bu 80 Plus numbers and fancy caps.

XFX -  Pro XXX

That's a 80 plus bronze PSU and it's a tier 2 PSU for no reason what so ever :D 

Also, I wonder, when it came out like 5 years ago, 180 quid was a steep asking price you know :P 

Finally:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/silverstone-strider-plus-700w-review-sst-st70f-pb/4/

Yeah, teapo 85C primary caps isn't a good start...you sure you're not getting your product lines wrong? ;) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 minutes ago, CAPCOM UK said:

Yup which that unit delivers fine on, the minor rails are within spec but the main 12 volt is stupidly stable.

So that makes it Tier 4 and only able to power a GTX 950?

Most dumbest Tier list i have ever seen.

Any tier list will have issues since not all models will be up to the same quality, but the idea is that everything in the line is at least of a certain quality. And there are probably some very good reasons why it's not Tier 2. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

That's a 80 plus bronze PSU and it's a tier 2 PSU for no reason what so ever :D 

Also, I wonder, when it came out like 5 years ago, 180 quid was a steep asking price you know :P 

Finally:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/silverstone-strider-plus-700w-review-sst-st70f-pb/4/

Yeah, teapo 85C primary caps isn't a good start...you sure you're not getting your product lines wrong? ;) 

Suddenly the 1KW unit is a 700 watt unit.

Remember guys we have a PSU capable of delivering above it's wattage to 1130watts at 45c not able to power a GTX 950 based on the OP's words.

2 minutes ago, CAPCOM UK said:

Remember guys we have a PSU capable of delivering above it's wattage to 1130watts at 45c not able to power a GTX 950 based on the OP's words.

So let me get this straight, it's trolling to say that a mediocre 1000w psu isn't enough for a 950, but it's not trolling to say that a 1000w psu makes nay sense for a 950? Use a bit of common sense, and you'll understand why you're comment is beyond moronic. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

We're talking about a product line, not just a single PSU mate...

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

We're talking about a product line, not just a single PSU mate...

This is why it's pointless gaf shit..

Obviously a bad Tier list.

Not only have you placed quality units together, you are blinding most buyers into buying with bullshit by placing all units together, anyone with even remotely a quarter of a brain knows that all designs behave differently in different units.

The 1KW version of the Strider Plus is a monster and yeah it uses Teapo 85c caps, those caps won't reach anywhere close to that temp hell Johnny GURU could not get it passed 45c overloading it in a hot box... you also spread it round that it's all it uses, don't forget the top grade components throughout everywhere else.

Industrial grade fan with a 10+ life time.

This is why i asked if you know what makes a good PSU besides fancy caps and 80 plus ratings.

2 minutes ago, CAPCOM UK said:

you are blinding most buyers into buying with bullshit by placing all units together, anyone with even remotely a quarter of a brain knows that all designs behave differently in different units.

Except that the tier list is pretty accurate for the 400-850 range, which is the range that the majority of PSU buyers buy at. And NO ONE should buy a mediocre 1000w PSU. If you're going to buy a 1KW PSU it SHOULD be a top tier unit anyway. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Except that the tier list is pretty accurate for the 400-850 range, which is the range that the majority of PSU buyers buy at. And NO ONE should be a mediocre 1000w PSU. If you're going to buy a 1KW PSU it SHOULD be a top tier unit anyway. 

A "top tier" based on a crap tier list on LTT?

LOL

If that unit is mediocre you really have no clue or understanding of what makes a good PSU it's as simple as that.

1 minute ago, CAPCOM UK said:

A "top tier" based on a crap tier list on LTT?

LOL

If that unit is mediocre you really have no clue or understanding of what makes a good PSU it's as simple as that.

If you think that PSU comes anywhere near a 1000w G2, then you really need to do some more research. So yes, mediocre -- especially considering it's a 1KW unit. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

This is why it's pointless gaf shit..

Obviously a bad Tier list.

Not only have you placed quality units together, you are blinding most buyers into buying with bullshit by placing all units together, anyone with even remotely a quarter of a brain knows that all designs behave differently in different units.

The 1KW version of the Strider Plus is a monster and yeah it uses Teapo 85c caps, those caps won't reach anywhere close to that temp hell Johnny GURU could not get it passed 45c overloading it in a hot box....

This is why i asked if you know what makes a good PSU besides fancy caps and 80 plus ratings.

Final thing I'm gonna say, the strider plus 1kW is the only good PSU from that line...and  the 1kW strider plus is discontinued so I'm pretty sure we can just disregard that PSU as it's not like we can buy it anyway. 

"discontinued" so please, stop complaining about a PSU that isn't even made anymore ;) 

*cough cough* it's a better PSU if you actually look at the testing and read the review ;) 

Good thing the Quark isn't a T1 unit. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

*cough cough* it's a better PSU if you actually look at the testing and read the review ;) 

CL-Chart-1-CL_fan.jpg

Fan RPM, Delta Temperature And Output Noise

Our mixed noise testing is described in detail here.

The following chart illustrates the cooling fan's speed (RPMs) and the delta between input and output temperature. The results were obtained at 36 to 47 °C ambient temperature. The next chart shows the cooling fan's speed (RPMs) and output noise. We measured acoustics from one meter away, inside a small, custom-made anechoic chamber with internals completely covered in soundproofing material (be quiet! Noise Absorber kit). Background noise inside the anechoic chamber was below 18 dB(A) during testing, and the results were obtained with the PSU operating at 36 to 47 °C ambient temperature. 

Up until around 500W, the PSU showed silent operation. But it quickly reached loud levels after that, and became downright annoying with more than 800W of load. Considering its high efficiency and the large heat sinks, we expected a more relaxed fan profile. We suspect that Rosewill wanted to ensure adequate cooling of the +12V MOSFETs, which are partially cooled by the unit's chassis.

The Quark 1000 features a highly efficient 5VSB rail. However, it does not compare with Seasonic's high-end platforms.

At light loads with 115V input, efficiency is higher than with 230V. However, we expected even better results from a Platinum-rated unit based on a modern platform.

Our Advanced Transient Response tests showed that the voltage drops were under control on all rails. However, we would have liked to see smaller deviations on the +12V rail, which handles transient loads constantly inside a real system. The higher-than-usual voltage drops on the 5VSB rail are not serious, since the average deviation was within 1.5 percent.

Ripple suppression was pretty good on all rails. Only Super Flower's platforms managed to outperform this one's ripple performance at +12V, which is the rail we really care about since it feeds most system components.

It's basically the same result the Strider got lol except the Strider had impeccable 12v results. xD

And the fan is far higher quality and quiet on SS's PSU.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Good thing the Quark isn't a T1 unit. 

No it's T2 whilst reviewing almost exactly the same as the Strider except it's actually worse.

Fan RPM, Delta Temperature And Output Noise

Our mixed noise testing is described in detail here.

The following chart illustrates the cooling fan's speed (RPMs) and the delta between input and output temperature. The results were obtained at 36 to 47 °C ambient temperature. The next chart shows the cooling fan's speed (RPMs) and output noise. We measured acoustics from one meter away, inside a small, custom-made anechoic chamber with internals completely covered in soundproofing material (be quiet! Noise Absorber kit). Background noise inside the anechoic chamber was below 18 dB(A) during testing, and the results were obtained with the PSU operating at 36 to 47 °C ambient temperature. 

Up until around 500W, the PSU showed silent operation. But it quickly reached loud levels after that, and became downright annoying with more than 800W of load. Considering its high efficiency and the large heat sinks, we expected a more relaxed fan profile. We suspect that Rosewill wanted to ensure adequate cooling of the +12V MOSFETs, which are partially cooled by the unit's chassis.

The Quark 1000 features a highly efficient 5VSB rail. However, it does not compare with Seasonic's high-end platforms.

At light loads with 115V input, efficiency is higher than with 230V. However, we expected even better results from a Platinum-rated unit based on a modern platform.

Our Advanced Transient Response tests showed that the voltage drops were under control on all rails. However, we would have liked to see smaller deviations on the +12V rail, which handles transient loads constantly inside a real system. The higher-than-usual voltage drops on the 5VSB rail are not serious, since the average deviation was within 1.5 percent.

Ripple suppression was pretty good on all rails. Only Super Flower's platforms managed to outperform this one's ripple performance at +12V, which is the rail we really care about since it feeds most system components.

Fan noise: SS and XFX are known for their louder fan profiles to make sure they last a nice n long time ;) (especially their higher wattage PSUs)

"highly efficient 5VBS rail" but loses to seasonic high-end...SEASONIC! Either the best or the second best PSU maker ever (and ATM)

Efficiency is something but is less important than ripple, quality of components, suppression ect.

That's not great but acceptable

Superflower...arguably as good as Seasonic...

So it got beaten by SS and SF high end units...hmmmm...

No it's T2 whilst reviewing almost exactly the same as the Strider except it's actually worse.

Remember something, those reviews were from 2011...where PSUs generally were worse ;) 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Fan noise: SS and XFX are known for their louder fan profiles to make sure they last a nice n long time ;) (especially their higher wattage PSUs)

"highly efficient 5VBS rail" but loses to seasonic high-end...SEASONIC! Either the best or the second best PSU maker ever (and ATM)

Efficiency is something but is less important than ripple, quality of components, suppression ect.

That's not great but acceptable

Superflower...arguably as good as Seasonic...

So it got beaten by SS and SF high end units...hmmmm...

Remember something, those reviews were from 2011...where PSUs generally were worse ;) 

Silverstone reviewed better, Johnny Guru could not give it a "recommend" purely due to it being slightly off the 80 PLUS silver ratings which you mention mean nothing in judging, he also said that the suppression and rippled on the minor rails were a bad point s rightly mentioned but were in spec just like the unit you are standing up for.

The fan on the Silverstone though was silent even in hot box testing at 1130watts!

40c constant temp and only 45c in hot box means it's better.

The 12V rail was the best reading he had ever seen.

Silverstone reviewed better, Johnny Guru could not give it a "recommend purely due to it being slightly off the 80 PLUS silver ratings which you mention mean nothing in judging, he also said that the suppression and rippled on the minor rails were a bad point s rightly mentioned but were in spec just like the unit you are standing up for.

The fan on the Silverstone though was silent even in hot box testing at 1130watts!

40c constant temp and only 45c in hot box means it's better.

1. If you understand PSUs then you know SS and SF are 2 of the best PSU makes so the rosewill being beaten by them in 2 specific scenarios doesn't make it bad.

2. Can you stop using the noise as why the silverstone is a high quality unit? Noise may say how good it's fan is but apart from that, it doesn't mean much else ;) 

3. You keep on talking about a DISCONTINUED PSU that you cannot buy any more where their current PSUs using that name aren't great plus I don't see any corsair TX on the list so why should  we see the strider plus 1kW on it?

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

1. If you understand PSUs then you know SS and SF are 2 of the best PSU makes so the rosewill being beaten by them in 2 specific scenarios doesn't make it bad.

2. Can you stop using the noise as why the silverstone is a high quality unit? Noise may say how good it's fan is but apart from that, it doesn't mean much else ;) 

3. You keep on talking about a DISCONTINUED PSU that you cannot buy any more where their current PSUs using that name aren't great plus I don't see any corsair TX on the list so why should  we see the strider plus 1kW on it?

Remove Strider PLUS altogether instead of using it as a reference point for Tier 4 as it clearly is a lot better than Tier 4, and all you want to do is argue with me when i have done nothing but prove you wrong.

STRIDER series are older, people still use them.

Remove Strider PLUS altogether instead of using it as a reference point for Tier 4 as it clearly is a lot better than Tier 4, and all you want to do is argue with me when i have done nothing but prove you wrong.

STRIDER series are older, people still use them.

Why? 

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/silverstone-strider-plus-700w-review-sst-st70f-pb/

Look at the name..."silverstone strider plus", look at it, does it not say strider plus? Just because a decent PSU that had that naming scheme before does not mean it should be in a higher tier. It's discontinued and no longer sold therefore you should be using the still made and sold PSUs to decide what tier it is. 

This is just plain logic ;) 

Why? 

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/silverstone-strider-plus-700w-review-sst-st70f-pb/

Look at the name..."silverstone strider plus", look at it, does it not say strider plus? Just because a decent PSU that had that naming scheme before does not mean it should be in a higher tier. It's discontinued and no longer sold therefore you should be using the still made and sold PSUs to decide what tier it is. 

This is just plain logic ;) 

According to your own words you have no clue what logic is, i suggested that series be removed since "discontinued and no one buys them"

It's like me putting a Mclaren F1 in a tier list and putting it a tier below a EVO purely based on age and components.

LOL

According to your own words you have no clue what logic is, i suggested that series be removed since "discontinued and no one buys them"

It's like me putting a Mclaren F1 in a tier list and putting it a tier below a EVO purely based on age and components.

LOL

FUCKING LOOK AT THAT REVIEW AND SEARCH IT UP, that 700watt PSU uses the same naming scheme so if you want it  to be removed or something then get silverstone to rename the current line of strider plus PSUs. The list never took the 1kW strider plus into consideration as it's no longer a PSU that's available to buy.

FUCKING LOOK AT THAT REVIEW AND SEARCH IT UP, that 700watt PSU uses the same naming scheme so if you want it  to be removed or something then get silverstone to rename the current line of strider plus PSUs. The list never took the 1kW strider plus into consideration as it's no longer a PSU that's available to buy.

Glad i made you angry.

So with that you need to separate the better designs in that series and place them in their correct tiers.

The Gold EVO is a Strider yet is placed in a separate Tier altogether, someone got lazy.