Car Sound System Help

Zack_Hill
Go to solution Solved by Stagea,

How much are you willing to spend? Are you replacing the head unit too? 

You can opt to just replace the front speakers (and leave the factory rear speakers) then fade the sound forward to build a good front stage.

If you won't be playing loud, this is worth looking at for a good entry level build:

JBL GTO Component Set and/or JBL GTO Coaxial 

JBL BassPro Powered Subwoofer

A dash kit and a modern head unit will do wonders to improve your system. The new Pioneer 2-DIN head units have good time alignment, equalization and crossover controls for the price.

Pioneer AVH-X2800BS

Deadening your truck (especially the doors) can be worth it too. Noico mats look pretty good (good reviews and very low price). They're sold by StP (StandartPlast), which is a very good company for noise treatment.

Hello,

I've got an 02 Ford Ranger, and I'm thinking about replacing the stock speakers. I want to get an inexpensive/value kit that comes with everything - including a small but decent subwoofer. If anyone could help, that'd be great!

You can opt to just replace the front speakers (and leave the factory rear speakers) then fade the sound forward to build a good front stage.

If you won't be playing loud, this is worth looking at for a good entry level build:

A dash kit and a modern head unit will do wonders to improve your system. The new Pioneer 2-DIN head units have good time alignment, equalization and crossover controls for the price.

Pioneer AVH-X2800BS

Deadening your truck (especially the doors) can be worth it too. Noico mats look pretty good (good reviews and very low price). They're sold by StP (StandartPlast), which is a very good company for noise treatment.

20 hours ago, Stagea said:

Pioneer AVH-X2800BS

Thanks for your reply! I don't really have a budget, but let's just try to keep it as low as possible before sacrificing sound quality. I'm thinking of doing what you said and just replacing the front speakers and getting that sub. Not sure if I really "need" that touchscreen dash, but it sure would be nice! 

Thanks for all the help!

4 hours ago, Zack_Hill said:

Thanks for your reply! I don't really have a budget, but let's just try to keep it as low as possible before sacrificing sound quality. I'm thinking of doing what you said and just replacing the front speakers and getting that sub. Not sure if I really "need" that touchscreen dash, but it sure would be nice! 

Thanks for all the help!

You're welcome, Zack. Are you planning to do the install yourself?

Aside from source flexibility, that dash unit can do a lot of things that your factory one probably won't. Here are the most important ones:

1. It can reduce distortion by allowing you to apply a crossover between your main speakers and your subwoofer.

2. It will allow you to correct your system frequency response using the EQ.

3. It will allow you to apply a time delay on the drivers nearer you to synchronize arrival times. 

Most car systems sound so much better once these three items are properly set.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2016 at 8:00 PM, Stagea said:

You're welcome, Zack. Are you planning to do the install yourself?

Aside from source flexibility, that dash unit can do a lot of things that your factory one probably won't. Here are the most important ones:

1. It can reduce distortion by allowing you to apply a crossover between your main speakers and your subwoofer.

2. It will allow you to correct your system frequency response using the EQ.

3. It will allow you to apply a time delay on the drivers nearer you to synchronize arrival times. 

Most car systems sound so much better once these three items are properly set.

Hello, 

Planning to have my dad help me with the install. Also, are there any dash units that offer the same functionality as the one you listed but doesn't have a touch screen to cut the price down?

Thanks! 

On 7/30/2016 at 2:33 AM, Zack_Hill said:

Hello, 

Planning to have my dad help me with the install. Also, are there any dash units that offer the same functionality as the one you listed but doesn't have a touch screen to cut the price down?

Thanks! 

Yes, but the price difference isn't much. Check the one below:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-REcwby6xyA0/p_130X8800BS/Pioneer-DEH-X8800BHS.html

I just realized that the model down has these features too. This is quite a bit cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-X7800BHS-Receiver-Enhanced-Functions/dp/B01FKW67WW

This seems to be the kit for your vehicle, but lookup the part numbers to be sure....

https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-1995-Up-Truck-Storage-Pocket/dp/B0007KK22E

https://www.amazon.com/American-International-FWH-598-Vehicle-Harness/dp/B00006JPB5