GTX 970 SLI Not Working

Josh6066

So I bought a second gtx 970 and after I installed it, the sli bridge and set the sli configuration to "Maximize 3D Performance' I started seeing black and white box randomly appear and disappear and buttons in things like the start menu are in the wrong place and sometimes say the wrong things. My drivers are the newest version, 368.69. I'm not sure what I should do so any help is appreciated.

20160714_113714.jpg

20160714_113706.jpg

20160714_113635.jpg

try rolling back the driver version to something older.

They are both Asus strix versions but looking at NVIDIA Inspector one says GDDR5 (Elpida) and the other says GDDR5 (Samsung), and they have different BIOS versions. Do those things matter?

I ran into this problem myself, it was a bad sli bridge..
Try reseating both gpu's, and blowing out the connectors gently with air duster.
Worked for me until I was able to replace the bridge.

Do you mind me asking what motherboard you use?

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

I have the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT ATX LGA1150 Motherboard, but I have them in the second and fourth slot because the top one is blocked by the cpu cooler. and I'll try reseating them.

I took them out, blew the ports with a bicycle pump, no canned air left, put them and the bridge back and I'm still having the same problem. Am I meant to put the SLI bridge in the left or right connector or does it not matter. I have a 3 way and 4 way SLI bridge, should I try one and see if it works.

I also tried a 3 way SLI bridge I had and I'm still having the same issues I'm going to try rolling back the driver version, what version should I use.

3 hours ago, MadOrc said:

Are they two of the same model 970's?

Doesnt matter. As long it is a 970 it should work.

Try another SLI bridge, if that doesnt work, buy a 1070 instead. Sli will always have a shitload of problems compared to a single card.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4,3GHz - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 - Evga SuperNova 750W PSU - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD - Gainward GTX 1080 GS - BenQ xl2411T 144hz - Cooler Master Haf-X Big Tower Nvidia Edition

Also, test them individually:

1)Remove 1 card.

2)Run a benchmark 

3)Replace card.

4)Run benchmark.

Also have 970's SLI. Never had an issue

So I have tried both cards individually in different slots (2nd and 4th) and they work fine. I then put them both in together with no sli bridge and they both showed up in NVIDIA control panel. So I turned my PC off put in the sli bridge and it comes up with the message, 'To use maximum 3D performance, connect the SLI-ready graphics cards with an SLI connector'. I then tried it different orientations, left and right pins, a 3 way and 4 way and they all come up with the same message so the problem is now worse then when I started. Also the drivers updated 368.81 but doubt that would affect this. Does anyone no what to do because I'm out of ideas and really want to try these out properly.

i had the same problem for a while minus the black boxes. Doing a clean driver install worked for me, but as soon as the driver crashes, it does this transparency thing again. After a restart, it's back to normal.