Best way to deal with HDCP?

Me and my family are on vacation and we are trying to use Vudu to watch a movie on the big TV in the hotel room with an HDMI cable from my laptop. However, when we try to play it, we get an error saying that it cannot play because of copyright issues, because the TV is not HDCP compliant. It seems like we are probably just screwed, but is there any way to get around this? 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

2 minutes ago, TheProfessionalAmateurs said:

Unless you can get an hdmi splitter, you cannot use your laptop with that tv.

Yep, that's what I read. Honestly, what even is the point of HDCP? I legitimately payed for this movie and legitimately want to watch it, it's not like they're stopping any piracy here.

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Or you could just use an analog cable/converter

Wish I had one :(

The problem is is that there are a few awful people who tried to rip audio or video off of hdmi signals, so to prevent that, hdcp was made to help prevent that, but still, a cheap $20 hdmi splitter can avoid that so the hdcp thing doesnt do S#%&.

2 minutes ago, TheProfessionalAmateurs said:

The problem is is that there are a few awful people who tried to rip audio or video off of hdmi signals, so to prevent that, hdcp was made to help prevent that, but still, a cheap $20 hdmi splitter can avoid that so the hdcp thing doesnt do S#%&.

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

It doesn't stop anyone though -- screen capturing does the same thing but doesn't get stopped by HDCP

Yep, I mean it seems pretty typical for honest people to get screwed over by measures taken to prevent fraud and such that don't actually work. I'll probably buy a splitter once I'm home to avoid it in the future.