Asus ROG Laptop will not boot

Is there anyway I can diagnose what is wrong with my Asus ROG laptop from september 2015.  The power indicator immediately turns off after attempting to turn it on.  The screen doesn't light up at all.  The charging indicator is on when plugged in however.  I have no electrical knowledge.  The laptop broke a few months ago when through the day it become more and more unstable freezing and turning off a lot.  By the end of the day the machine because useless.  Luckily it had nothing to do w/ my SSD and I took it out and am using it now in my new desktop but I would like to see if there are any solutions before trying to get a refund or a repair because I had tinkered w/ it a little (I'm a moron) and a lot of screws are missing and part of it is stretched out.  Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Guy1524 said:

Is there anyway I can diagnose what is wrong with my Asus ROG laptop from september 2015.  The power indicator immediately turns off after attempting to turn it on.  The screen doesn't light up at all.  The charging indicator is on when plugged in however.  I have no electrical knowledge.  The laptop broke a few months ago when through the day it become more and more unstable freezing and turning off a lot.  By the end of the day the machine because useless.  Luckily it had nothing to do w/ my SSD and I took it out and am using it now in my new desktop but I would like to see if there are any solutions before trying to get a refund or a repair because I had tinkered w/ it a little (I'm a moron) and a lot of screws are missing and part of it is stretched out.  Thanks!

Take the battery out and see. Usually there is a reset button located on either the under panel or under the battery. Take a paper clip and press that for 10 seconds with the computer off and battery removed and check. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I don't see any reset buttons under the battery location for some reason.

9 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Take the battery out and see. Usually there is a reset button located on either the under panel or under the battery. Take a paper clip and press that for 10 seconds with the computer off and battery removed and check. 

Actually, on the side I see a hole with an icon that is a lock with the letter K inside.  Is this the correct thing?

1 minute ago, Guy1524 said:

Actually, on the side I see a hole with an icon that is a lock with the letter K inside.  Is this the correct thing?

no, that is for a kensington lock

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Have you retried resetting your motherboard's BIOS to the first version it came?

BTW: If I were you, I wouldn't update the BIOS unless it contains something you need

I don't know whether would it work but you can give it a shot. Take out the battery, hold down the power button for like half a minute or something. Plug in charger or put the battery back and see whether does it turn on. You may also want to remove and then reinsert the CMOS battery while at it.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

The model is a GL551J if that is relevant

28 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

I don't know whether would it work but you can give it a shot. Take out the battery, hold down the power button for like half a minute or something. Plug in charger or put the battery back and see whether does it turn on. You may also want to remove and then reinsert the CMOS battery while at it.

How would I find the CMOS battery?

1 minute ago, Guy1524 said:

How would I find the CMOS battery?

If you were to open up your laptop, you should be looking for a button cell battery. That will be your CMOS battery.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

1 minute ago, exercutor5 said:

If you were to open up your laptop, you should be looking for a button cell battery. That will be your CMOS battery.

well the only part of the laptop I have opened so far is the part where you switch ram and a storage component so I don't know how to find that.

Have you tried with a different charger ? or without the battery ? 

Your screen doesnt even flicker or show a sign of response when trying to turn it on?

25 minutes ago, Woltox said:

Have you tried with a different charger ? or without the battery ? 

Your screen doesnt even flicker or show a sign of response when trying to turn it on?

Unfortunately I only have one charger, I have tried w/o the battery.  The screen does not flicker and no components are responsive except for the power led turning on then immediately turning off and the charging led when the battery is in the laptop and the laptop is plugged in.

So somehow I got it working, but now the sata port isn't working.  The HDD turns on, but the BIOS doesn't recognize it.

Great, I just broke my laptop permanently, now the power LED wont even show up and it looks totally bricked.