Android Marshmallow Review Using HTC One M8

Hello all. I recently updated to Android Marshmallow(and without my permission I might add). If you're not familiar with Android Marshmallow, it is Google's latest version to their Android OS. In this review, I will be using an HTC M8 as this is my only Android device that I use/own, so this will be my impressions on the changes that both Google and HTC have made in this version. This will not be super in-depth, but it goes allow me to give some of my thoughts that I have garnished over the course of a week using this new OS from Google. I will be throwing in a few screenshots(which will be retained in their original formatting, but will be placed inside of spoilers), showcasing some new icons and Google's improved permissions feature, so let's get started.

The first thing I tried out was holding down the power button to see what options I would get, and honestly they were much of the same, but the icons were different, and more colorful, which I actually quite enjoy.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20160707-221542.png

Moving on, I enabled Power Saver as I use that from time-to-time, and it gave a nice indication that it was on within the notification drawer and it also gave a bigger button to disable it if desired. However, it gave no icon in the status bar when the drawer was closed, which was present in the previous version. In my view, this needs to be re-added as I found it very useful to have a nice quick glance if was enabled or not.

Screenshot with notification drawer pulled out with Power Saver enabled

Spoiler

Screenshot_20160708-160831.png

Screenshot with Power Saver enabled, but no Power Saver icon in status bar

Spoiler

Screenshot_20160708-160846.png

I also went into the Settings to enable Power Saver from there, and to show no indicator icon.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20160710-145718.png

Moving on, we also have a Battery optimization button as well shown in the above screenshot. This initially confused me, but not because of the intended function, but rather because it would change the default view every time I left that portion of the Settings app. Upon further investigation, battery optimization was still being done. Not only do you get a view of the apps that are having it done, but you can also choose individual apps to have it done, or not have it done.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20160710-151832.png

Screenshot showing the filters, allowing you to change what's being viewed. Certain applications apparently do not have the feature available.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20160710-152610.png

Below, this is what the option looks like when you want to enable or disable the battery optimization feature for individual apps. I have no idea how well this works personally.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20160710-152523.png

To showcase the permissions improvements, I thought I would install a game that I had installed previously, but removed due to my ultimate nonexistent interest in it. As of right now, your permission settings are not retained upon removal of the app in your associated Google account. For a lot of these apps, I have no idea why they need access to some of these things that they request, but hey whatever.

Showcased below is the game "Touch Tank" requesting permission for certain things

Spoiler

Screenshot_20160710-150024.png

After denying all of those above, the app has the audacity to request permission again, this time Android giving you the option to have it never occur again with the app. Upon checking it off, the Allow button will gray out completely.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20160710-150053.png

Okay, so during the writing of this post, I thought about the idea of later on changing the permissions of the apps, and went on exploring in the Settings app a way to do just that, and lo and behold, I found something. I navigated to a list of apps located within the Settings application, and tapped on one of the them(in this case, Airdroid), and got a slew of options. This includes Storage used, data usage, Permissions, Notifications, Open by default(whatever that does), battery usage, and RAM consumption.

Navigating to app permissions grants us this screen

Spoiler

Screenshot_20160710-154048.png

The last thing that I went to show is the Extreme Power Saving Mode that HTC offers.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20160710-145547.png

Okay, much of the same in terms of functions, and this is where I have issues with it. The feature is great, but HTC could've done more with it. For example, I use the SMS app "Textra" which is the default app, but I cannot open it directly from here, nor am I given any ability to change it. Same goes with everything else, and I cannot use the notification drawer in this mode to clear notifications, which is an annoyance. If I enable it, and I forget there's a notification there, I have to disable the mode, and then manually clear it or the LED will keep blinking at me which can be kind of distracting.

This also represents an issue that I have with this mode and normal power saving mode(which retains all functions, and allows for some customization to a degree). I complained that the normal mode had no normal icon to show that it was enabled unless you pulled down the notification drawer. The Extreme mode has two icons showcasing it. Why? I clearly know that it's enabled. The interface is obviously different, so why do I need a giant icon, and a small one in the status bar? It makes absolutely no sense to me. HTC really needs to give more power to users of this mode, including the ability to change some of the apps that can be used.

I'm going to briefly touch on Android's new feature App Standby. I do not have any impressions on the power draw of the device at this time, but what I will say is that my device feels a little snappier which is a positive, so good job Google.

Well, this has been my review of Marshmallow on my HTC One M8. If anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns, message me or post it directly within this thread.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I have purchased a HTC 10 recently and my Marshmallow skin is not as intense, and Android Doze is insane on my battery. And that is coming from my Xperia Z3.

Also, the Google smart lock would have been very useful if my phone did not have a fingerprint sensor. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz