GTX 1080 low performance

MemeGoddess

I bought a Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 and I'm getting less than 60 fps on some games at max settings, is something hindering the GPU? (I play everything in Borderless, with some games; turning down the settings doesn't fix the lag)
My specs:
CPU - i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz
Motherboard - ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (PCIe 2.0 x16 slot)
RAM - 16GB at 1333MHz

The games I get lower FPS on:
Fallout 4 (50 FPS)

Far Cry 4 (60 FPS with stuttering every couple seconds)
Watch Dogs (55 FPS with stuttering)

Other games I get a perfect FPS on (max settings):
GTA 5
Just Cause 3
The Witcher 3
Dying Light

Crysis 3

The lower FPS is starting to really annoy me and was wondering if I'm doing something wrong (I also have 3 monitors, monitors 1 and 3 are cloned though)

It would be a little hard to believe, but it's possible it's your CPU and/or RAM speed.  The fact that lower settings didn't help lends credence to this theory...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It would be a little hard to believe, but it's possible it's your CPU and/or RAM speed.  The fact that lower settings didn't help lends credence to this theory...

This

My money is on the CPU though since I myself saw an fps boost going from an I5-2400 to a 4790k (using a GTX 970)

Remember to quote if you want us to see your answer ASAP!

2 minutes ago, ComradeVodka said:

This

My money is on the CPU though since I myself saw an fps boost going from an I5-2400 to a 4790k (using a GTX 970)

That further supports my theory (for those playing at home ;))

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, ComradeVodka said:

This

Ok, upgrading the CPU is going to cost a lot though, since I need to upgrade the Motherboard, CPU and RAM all at once

1 minute ago, MemeGoddess said:

Ok, upgrading the CPU is going to cost a lot though, since I need to upgrade the Motherboard, CPU and RAM all at once

If you have a 1080, you really should have the latest platform to get the most out of it (i7 6700K).  If you can, that is, and if you don't already have something that would be "good enough", like a OCed 4790k.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you have a 1080, you really should have the latest platform to get the most out of it (i7 6700K).  If you can, that is, and if you don't already have something that would be "good enough", like a OCed 4790k.

Yeah, looking at getting an i7-6700k for a while now, what motherboard would you recommend with it?

6 minutes ago, MemeGoddess said:

Yeah, looking at getting an i7-6700k for a while now, what motherboard would you recommend with it?

That really depends on your budget and needs.  Something Z170 for sure, but that doesn't really narrow it down ;)

When you're ready, make a new thread in the new builds and planning section so many people can help you pick something out.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That really depends on your budget and needs.  Something Z170 for sure, but that doesn't really narrow it down ;)

When you're ready, make a new thread in the new builds and planning section so many people can help you pick something out.

Ok ^.^

2 minutes ago, MemeGoddess said:

Ok ^.^

If it helps, this is the mobo I'm planning on getting when building a new pc with a 6700k towards the end of this year...

http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/z170 extreme4/

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

those games listed under low performance are really bad games and don't scale with GPU, you need stronger CPU for them

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

6 hours ago, Tech Inquisition said:

No love for the poor old 4770K's :(

well that would probably work too but I just have a bad attitude toward them since I have one and it just completely refuses to overclock.  I've got it running at 3.9 GHz, which is a 200 MHz overclock technically since it only turbos to 3.7 on all 4 cores by default.

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hardware Unboxed did a test using RAM set to the same clock speed and the 6700k showed little to no gain over the 4790k. The gains using Skylake come from the use of DDR4, not the CPU itself.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

Hardware Unboxed did a test using RAM set to the same clock speed and the 6700k showed little to no gain over the 4790k. The gains using Skylake come from the use of DDR4, not the CPU itself.

Yeah, either would do is my point.  But, also, either would be an upgrade over a stock 2600 (no?)

11 hours ago, ComradeVodka said:

This

About how much of an fps increase did you get?

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, either would do is my point.  But, also, either would be an upgrade over a stock 2600 (no?)

Yep, basically everything past the 2600 shows small gains but all are significantly more powerful than the 2600. And you can get DDR3 high speed kits for cheap as chips now, and after 3000MHz the scaling drops off significantly. So bang for the buck Haswell is holding on tight. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

well that would probably work too but I just have a bad attitude toward them since I have one and it just completely refuses to overclock.  I've got it running at 3.9 GHz, which is a 200 MHz overclock technically since it only turbos to 3.7 on all 4 cores by default.

4.2GHz stable for me ;):P

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

48 minutes ago, Tech Inquisition said:

4.2GHz stable for me ;):P

So it's not just me then... sure, I'd love to get 4.2, but that's still a fairly modest overclock.  It's sort of the number it's assumed that "anyone" could easily get to.  I think they start being considered "good" (on air at least) around 4.4

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So it's not just me then... sure, I'd love to get 4.2, but that's still a fairly modest overclock.  It's sort of the number it's assumed that "anyone" could easily get to.  I think they start being considered "good" (on air at least) around 4.4

True, but that silicone lottery for you :)

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

12 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

About how much of an fps increase did you get?

I went from 52 fps to A LOT higher. 980 level performance or so (OC'd 970 to match stock 980)

Remember to quote if you want us to see your answer ASAP!

On July 4, 2016 at 2:55 AM, MemeGoddess said:

I haven't used it for overclocking but I like my Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 motherboard.  Though depending on your needs/budget there's also the Gaming 5 or 3 to consider.  Gigabyte does make other Z170 boards so you could also look at those if you wanted to.  Hope that helps.

19 minutes ago, ComradeVodka said:

I went from 52 fps to A LOT higher. 980 level performance or so (OC'd 970 to match stock 980)

I'd have to look up 970 vs 980 performance on a game to see for myself but I'll take your word for it.   That's a very nice improvement.  ?

The games I get lower FPS on:
Fallout 4 (50 FPS)

Far Cry 4 (60 FPS with stuttering every couple seconds)
Watch Dogs (55 FPS with stuttering)

Doesn't add up though guys.

All 3 of those games ran great for me and I had the GTX 770 for Watchdogs.

GTX 970 for Fallout 4 - maxed out. Runs perfect.

Far Cry 4 - ran perfect. I even ran Far Cry 3 in the 7850 with medium textures because otherwise it was a stutter-fest as well because of the 1 Gb Vram limit on my card. As soon as I lowered the textures - game ran great.

1080 should run ANY game period WAY over 60 fps on the I7-2600. Period.

The most he would lose in games is about 20-10fps depending on how CPU dependent they are. A guy on youtube did tests recently going back to the I5-2500K running all the newest games and yea, it was hindered but only by 20 fps MAX. So if the 1080 was getting 80-100 fps, the I5 vs the skylake was getting around 70-90 max. It had a lower frame rate dip average but was still able to keep up with new games. I'm still on the I5-2500K @ 4200 and I'm supposedly beating him with a 970 or at least matching his fps which makes no sense in my opinion.

Check out the video here.  What I like is that he ran 2133 ram and just by that gained 7 fps. LOL.