Supermicro X8 DTL-IF-O 5 short beeps 1 long beep error.

Hi so i have a Supermicro X8 DTL-IF-O motherboard and i just built a dual X5650 system with it it ran great had no problems until now. the problem that im now plagued with is sometimes after i turn off the computer when i turn it back on i get 5 short beeps and 1 long beep. i traced the beep code back and identified it as a memory error and how it says no ram detected. now i have 24gb of DDR3 1333MHz ECC memory in there and the memory is on the tested list of supermicro. before i had ddr3 1600 non ecc unregistered memory in there but when that gave me the beep error i thought it was due to the ram not being compatible so i bought 24gb of ECC memory and now im still stuck with the same problem as before. the only workaround i found so far to this on both the ecc and non ecc memory was to push on the memory modules while the PC is off then turn it back on and i dont have the beep code anyone. then after about a week of use the problem comes back again. what could be the issue to this? im baffled right now and im wondering now if my dual xeon project now was just a complete flop because of this. could it be that i have a loose solder in the board? or could this be a bios glitch? im thinking it is the loose solder because pushing on the memory modules seems to be a temporary fix for this issue. what else can i do to fix this problem? 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

6 minutes ago, ZexenPro said:

reseat?

i did and the same thing happens too works for a week then beep codes again 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, ZexenPro said:

try more cowbell

?

2 minutes ago, ZexenPro said:

reseat?

Eh, if it's happened with two different sets of ram this probably isn't the problem. But it is the easiest to check. Try it. If that fails, I'd most likely say that you have a failing ram slot. Try going through with a single stick (some mobos are finicky, so this might not work) and testing each slot individually. 

If that doesn't show any errors, your ram might be going bad. Try each module and see if one of them is bad.

1 minute ago, MightyMic said:

Eh, if it's happened with two different sets of ram this probably isn't the problem. But it is the easiest to check. Try it. If that fails, I'd most likely say that you have a failing ram slot. Try going through with a single stick (some mobos are finicky, so this might not work) and testing each slot individually. 

If that doesn't show any errors, your ram might be going bad. Try each module and see if one of them is bad.

well i did get the motherboard for $25 lol but ill try it when i get home 

23 minutes ago, MightyMic said:

i found out that pushing on the ram modules does nothing. it turns out that someone else out there has the same issue as me, how he got the beeps to stop but later on come back was he had to unplug the computer until all the power cycles through then plug it back in and turn it on again 

• 1 year later...

I just came across the same thing.  Taking the RAM out and putting it back in did the trick, however closer inspection is that the reseating of the RAM reset the IPMI and BIOS settings...  Seems it corrupt CMOS is the cause (probably battery failing.)

Hope this helps,

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 2:13 AM, www.sorbs.net said:

I just came across the same thing.  Taking the RAM out and putting it back in did the trick, however closer inspection is that the reseating of the RAM reset the IPMI and BIOS settings...  Seems it corrupt CMOS is the cause (probably battery failing.)

Hope this helps,

Michelle

Hey Michelle, 

I already sold the system a long time ago without trying this. It just never came across to me. Hopefully this solution will work for someone else that has this problem down the road in the future. What I remember worked for me was to switch the power off on the PSU, wait about 30 seconds, then flip it back on again and it would work without any issues