New router

MuncherKid

I'm helping a friend set up a new router but he has run into a few complications that i don't really know a solution to. He has borrowed my old router which is a TP-Link Archer C7, which is an upgrade from his previous Technicolor TC8305C. The problem is the technicolor is a modem/router and the new router does not have a coax connector on it. I haven't been to his house to see for myself but from what i understand a coax cable is coming into his house going to a DTA (hd-dta100u) then to the technicolor modem/router. I was trying to find out what he would need to get the new router up an going.

He needs to buy a modem. His ISP should have a list of supported modems if they allow him to use his own. He can hook router to router but there are extra steps involved. Firstly he would need to disable DHCP, Firewalls and such on the Archer C7. He then would need to hook lan to lan. Dont use the WAN port on the C7. Also he would need to disable the wireless on the Techicolor box. Some ISP's can put those modem/routers in to bridge mode, making it act like a modem. BUT most phone tech support people are fucking idiots and wont know how. Tell your friend to check his bill. I bet hes paying about $10 a month for the modem/router if he lives in the US because most ISP's charge a rental fee. He could buy a modem for maybe $80 USD one time and save the monthly fee. Which is why I would suggest buying a modem. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.