After installing new Intel Drivers, can no longer boot

_Chaotic_
Go to solution Solved by Mrhappyjolly,

I would suggest you contact HP in the first instance, perhaps there is a bios or microcode update required? Did you use the intel drivers from HP's website (not Intel's?) the reason I say this is because vendors such as HP (Toshiba are terrible for this) modify the hardware so generic drivers from Intel/AMD/Nvidia don't work on their hardware.

So, if you are having this problem with the drivers from the Intel website, this could very well likely be your problem.

The only other thing that springs to mind - (which is unlikely) is that when updating the driver it's switching the resolution or refresh rate to something the monitor doesn't recognize. - very unlikely though tbh

edit: ok something else.. there are more things to consider, 1) Bios setting for integrated graphics, my 3770k has intel graphics too, I can have intel graphics AND my AMD graphics on at the same time, this however causes coil whine in my machine, so I disabled intel graphics in bios, check all the settings regarding this. 

2) The graphics chip on the cpu is faulty, in which case a return to HP is in order, it's brand new so it'll be in warranty anyway right?

3) Are you able to to a HP recovery of Windows... rather than a vanilla installation? FYI there is usually a recovery partition and hitting the correct F key will jump into the HP recovery software and you can fresh install the HP version, definitely try this, if everything is ok I'd almost certainly say it's a driver issue. Either G/card or Motherboard or some kind of HP management software that you may have overlooked. 

Report back with findings from that little lot. 

Regards

A friend gave me their pc to fix, and this is quite different from most issues, because he told me his pc was acting weird, so i took it to see if i could fix it, with no luck. After 2 days we just decided to reinstall windows. So I reinstalled and started reinstalling all the drivers again, but after installing the video driver, the pc goes black. If you reset it, it hangs on boot which is exactly what it was doing when he gave it to me. Does anyone know a solution to this? He doesnt want to spend anymore money on this pc, since it is only for work.

Things I've tried:

Clearing the CMOs

Updating the bios

Using DDU and installing new drivers

Using microsoft drivers

Disabling the Intel HD graphics (works but he wants to use his native resolution of possible)

Also, we can't put a new graphics card in it, because the motherboard doesnt have any pcie or pci slots at all. And we can't replace the cpu because it is built onto the board.

The pc in question is a extremely cheap hp desktop that uses laptop parts.

ah but does it have an AGP slot!? how old is this thing? and what do you mean by laptop parts? 

could be anything to be honest, depending how the machine is setup hardware wise. 

On 5/27/2016 at 6:29 PM, Mrhappyjolly said:

ah but does it have an AGP slot!? how old is this thing? and what do you mean by laptop parts? 

could be anything to be honest, depending how the machine is setup hardware wise. 

It is a brand new windows 10 desktop from hp. Released late last year and he got one because it was affordable. It has a Pentium j2900 cpu which is intergrated onto the motherboard, and the slots on the board are 2 laptop dims.

I would suggest you contact HP in the first instance, perhaps there is a bios or microcode update required? Did you use the intel drivers from HP's website (not Intel's?) the reason I say this is because vendors such as HP (Toshiba are terrible for this) modify the hardware so generic drivers from Intel/AMD/Nvidia don't work on their hardware.

So, if you are having this problem with the drivers from the Intel website, this could very well likely be your problem.

The only other thing that springs to mind - (which is unlikely) is that when updating the driver it's switching the resolution or refresh rate to something the monitor doesn't recognize. - very unlikely though tbh

edit: ok something else.. there are more things to consider, 1) Bios setting for integrated graphics, my 3770k has intel graphics too, I can have intel graphics AND my AMD graphics on at the same time, this however causes coil whine in my machine, so I disabled intel graphics in bios, check all the settings regarding this. 

2) The graphics chip on the cpu is faulty, in which case a return to HP is in order, it's brand new so it'll be in warranty anyway right?

3) Are you able to to a HP recovery of Windows... rather than a vanilla installation? FYI there is usually a recovery partition and hitting the correct F key will jump into the HP recovery software and you can fresh install the HP version, definitely try this, if everything is ok I'd almost certainly say it's a driver issue. Either G/card or Motherboard or some kind of HP management software that you may have overlooked. 

Report back with findings from that little lot. 

Regards

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2016 at 11:14 PM, _Chaotic_ said:

cut!

any update mate? how you getting on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2016 at 7:51 PM, Mrhappyjolly said:

any update mate? how you getting on.

Sorry for the long wait on this. So long story short, the graphics chip was bad and needed to be replaced, and since the cpu was integrated on the motherboard, he had to send it in for repair. HOWEVER, hp thought to fix it was to just make the font size bigger. So, we finally got a hold of technical support in which we sent it back in and they sent a brand new machine.