AMD R9 295x2 Thermal Throttling/How can I change the max temperature limit?

I have an AMD R9 295x2 and I realized that when I play CS:GO My temperature gets to about 74C and since that is the stock max temperature my GPU thermal throttles, I have tried MSI After burner but I cant find a way to change the max temperature. I really need some help since every time I play a game my FPS keeps dropping and going up when I play its very annoying, and even though my FPS stay around 200+ in CS:GO Nuke it keeps dropping in areas where the map is more demanding causing the GPU to thermal throttle and at that point my fps keeps fluctuating from 200 to 90 and its very distracting for a competitive game like CS:GO. Please help and let me know of any recommendation for what I can do to solve this problem.

Increasing your power limit a bit should help, but thats what a 500w card? the FPS drop shouldn't be so bad especially in CSGO to warrant changing the power limit, but check if it helps and monitor your temps as well 

Generally the maximum thermal limit is there for a reason and you don't want to bypass that.  A better option would be to find a way to cool the card better - air conditioning for the room, or a liquid cooler for your CPU to keep case temps down perhaps?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Generally the maximum thermal limit is there for a reason and you don't want to bypass that.  A better option would be to find a way to cool the card better - air conditioning for the room, or a liquid cooler for your CPU to keep case temps down perhaps?

Ok I understand, I was maybe thinking that it would be a situation like the GTX 1080 where it would throttle since Nvida set the max temp to 82C and the card was throttling  a lot then JayZTwoCents unlocked the max temperature to 90C and the card didn't go anything above 86C Meaning that it was throttling because of that little difference and thats what I think is happening to my card. Ill try to make my case cooler though my CPU is already water cooled, to be fair though my case is pertty dusty so that might be whats causing the temps to go up a lot though I wouldn't think it would be this much of an affect, would it?

12 minutes ago, DKM1129 said:

Increasing your power limit a bit should help, but thats what a 500w card? the FPS drop shouldn't be so bad especially in CSGO to warrant changing the power limit, but check if it helps and monitor your temps as well 

Alrighty Will do, thanks. 

2 minutes ago, AlaNo said:

my case is pertty dusty so that might be whats causing the temps to go up a lot though I wouldn't think it would be this much of an affect, would it?

yes it would, try dusting it and see if temps gets any better

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

yes it would, try dusting it and see if temps gets any better

Hmm ok well Ill try that and see if it helps, I hope it does. Thanks Alot :)

Power limit on AMD cards usually stop the declock process in some scenarios.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

11 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Power limit on AMD cards usually stop the declock process in some scenarios.

So your saying I should up the power limit right?

12 minutes ago, AlaNo said:

Yes I'd suggest go small like a +2-+5 power limit, monitor your temps and clocks 

34 minutes ago, AlaNo said:

Power limit will not add any voltage or anything. It's safe as.

It's a driver feature, it SHOULD be set at maximum all the time... (Card will still declock on IDLE like normal)

But gets maximum performance in all things when loaded up.

And when your game is LIGHT on demands..(60fps locked) the clocks will be high at max still, but your usage will drop (this is normal when frame capped).. aka like Vsync would have gpu usage drops when you able to constantly make 60fps and not use all your GPU power.

Power limit keeps it at its INTENDED clocks. Diff cards have differnt limits.

My HD7950 has a max of +20% but my 290 allows +50%.

Neither of these two cards, went up in voltage, yet clocks stayed at maximum DURING 3D load, and was perfect.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz