Which PSU should i get

Extrememining

Just now, Laputacake said:

Both are rather mediocre. What's your budget?

about £40 unless there is a nice case/psu bundle for a good deal

4 minutes ago, Extrememining said:

about £40 unless there is a nice case/psu bundle for a good deal

What are the rest of the parts?

Steve

Just now, Laputacake said:

What are the rest of the parts?

not sure yet, just need a psu

9 minutes ago, Extrememining said:

Your PSU selection should be based on what components you will be buying, as it will be what powering them.

Anyways, the CX450M would be a better option than the two PSU you are looking at.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020101-UK-CX450M-Semi-Modular-Bronze/dp/B01C3FFOHS/

1 minute ago, quan289 said:

Your PSU selection should be based on what components you are buying, as it will be what powering them.

Anyways, the CX450M would be a better option than the two PSU you are looking at.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020101-UK-CX450M-Semi-Modular-Bronze/dp/B01C3FFOHS/

That's gonna be a no. Corsair power supplies are not the best choice no matter the price range.

9 minutes ago, Extrememining said:

Have you got a build then or are you building one.

Steve

4 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

That's gonna be a no. Corsair power supplies are not the best choice no matter the price range.

The CX450M is quite good yo. Quan knows what he's talking about.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

12 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

That's generalizing. Different regions can affect pricing and availability, in which some areas certain brands may offer poor value, while elsewhere it's can be an great value.

The new, updated CX450M is a DC-DC regulated power supply that offer semi-modularity and a 5 year warranty for only ~ £5 more. It's better than the entry level, group-regulated CWT GPM build Corsair VS and better than the HEC build EVGA 500 white.

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The CX450M is quite good yo. Quan knows what he's talking about.

" Corsair power supplies are not the best choice no matter the price range. " Never said they were the worst.

Steve

5 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

" Corsair power supplies are not the best choice no matter the price range. " Never said they were the worst.

In the CX450M's price range it's among the best and is more widely available than the marginally better (but also not modular) S12.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 minutes ago, quan289 said:

That's generalizing. Different regions can affect pricing and availability, in which some areas certain brands may offer poor value, while elsewhere it's can be an great value.

The new, updated CX450M is a DC-DC regulated power supply that offer semi-modularity and a 5 year warranty for only ~ £5. It's better than the entry level, group-regulated CWT GPM build Corsair VS and better than the HEC build EVGA 500 white.

Ok, but we are talking about England where there are much better alternatives.

Steve

14 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

In the CX450M's price range it's among the best and is more widely available than the marginally better (but also not modular) S12.

[img=giphy.gif]

Steve

28 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

Ok, but we are talking about England where there are much better alternatives.

In the £40 price point, you could get the XFX ProSeries 450w which is based on the group-regulated Seasonic S12II-B. It's a non-modular power supply that would offer worse voltage stability than the CXM, but it is ~ £8 cheaper. http://skinflint.co.uk/xfx-pro-series-full-wired-edition-bronze-450w-atx-2-3-p1-450s-x2b9-a708267.html?hloc=uk

The Fractal Design Integra M 450w is good ATNG build that's based off of an LLC resonant topology with independent regulation 40. It's also a semi-modular PSU, but offer a lesser 3 year warranty and the 24 pin has a black mesh sleeved over multi-color wires (the CXM has full black cables). http://skinflint.co.uk/fractal-design-integra-m-450w-atx-2-4-fd-psu-in3b-450w-a1147734.html?hloc=uk

The Antec VPF450 is a Delta build, DC-DC regulated PSU with full Japanese caps for the same price point as the CX450M. It's a very good budget unit but also offer less warranty and lacks modularity. http://skinflint.co.uk/antec-vpf450-0-761345-06459-0-a1210677.html?hloc=uk

There really isn't any more alternatives that I would suggest (the rest are budget level, group regulated designs). All the ones that I just mentioned are good PSUs, but I wouldn't say they are "much better" than one another that I would automatically dismissed it as a viable option like you did (this includes the XFX ProSeries 550w for a little more).

I have the EVGA SuperNova G2 power supply and it's amazing, never had any problems with it and I can't hear any noises from it at all. So that's my recommendation to you!

Processor: Intel i7-4790K *4,8GHz  Graphics card: MSI GTX 980Ti  Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Vii Hero RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb PSU: Evga SuperNova G2 750W Cooling: Corsair H100i Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD & Seagate Barracuda 1TB Chassis: Corsair 750D Monitor: ASUS Rog Swift PG278Q

1 hour ago, quan289 said:

In the £40 price point, you could get the XFX ProSeries 450w which is based on the group-regulated Seasonic S12II-B. It's a non-modular power supply that would offer worse voltage stability than the CXM, but it is ~ £8 cheaper. http://skinflint.co.uk/xfx-pro-series-full-wired-edition-bronze-450w-atx-2-3-p1-450s-x2b9-a708267.html?hloc=uk

The Fractal Design Integra M 450w is good ATNG build that's based off of an LLC resonant topology with independent regulation 40. It's also a semi-modular PSU, but offer a lesser 3 year warranty and the 24 pin has a black mesh sleeved over multi-color wires (the CXM has full black cables). http://skinflint.co.uk/fractal-design-integra-m-450w-atx-2-4-fd-psu-in3b-450w-a1147734.html?hloc=uk

The Antec VPF450 is a Delta build, DC-DC regulated PSU with full Japanese caps for the same price point as the CX450M. It's a very good budget unit but also offer less warranty and lacks modularity. http://skinflint.co.uk/antec-vpf450-0-761345-06459-0-a1210677.html?hloc=uk

There really isn't any more alternatives that I would suggest (the rest are budget level, group regulated designs). All the ones that I just mentioned are good PSUs, but I wouldn't say they are "much better" than one another that I would automatically dismissed it as a viable option like you did (this includes the XFX ProSeries 550w for a little more).

I'll be honest. I'd much rather spend an extra £10 for an vastly superior power supply which is the seasonic S12 https://www.scan.co.uk/products/520w-seasonic-s12ii-520-bronze-series-80-plus-bronze-dual-rail-20a-1x120mm-silent-fan-fully-wired-at

Steve

56 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

I'll be honest. I'd much rather spend an extra £10 for an vastly superior power supply which is the seasonic S12 https://www.scan.co.uk/products/520w-seasonic-s12ii-520-bronze-series-80-plus-bronze-dual-rail-20a-1x120mm-silent-fan-fully-wired-at

The S12II-B is a good budget unit, but it's not a "vastly superior power supply" as you had said. I even had implied that when mentioning the XFX ProSeries 450/550 which is based on the same GB platform.

If we was talking about the older CXv3 / M, then I would have agreed. But since you are adamant about shooting down my recommendation, here's a recent thread on Jonnyguru. While the OP did ignore the recommendations, the CX550M was among one of the PSU had been recommended over the S/M12II-B by a number of regulars that are also PSU reviewers.

57 minutes ago, quan289 said:

The S12II-B is a good budget unit, but it's not a "vastly superior power supply" as you had said. I even had implied that when mentioning the XFX ProSeries 450/550 which is based on the same GB platform.

If we was talking about the older CXv3 / M, then I would have agreed. But since you are adamant about shooting down my recommendation, here's a recent thread on Jonnyguru. While the OP did ignore the recommendations, the CX550M was among one of the PSU had been recommended over the S/M12II-B by a number of regulars that are also PSU reviewers.

Aye, albeit i exaggerated but I still stand by the S12 being better than any Corsair CX or CS as 1. Seasonic is better than CWT, that's probably because it's modular and because it was going for $40 aka, £27 which for the price even I have to admit isn't that bad of a deal.

Steve

2 hours ago, Laputacake said:

Seasonic is better than CWT

Well, I could also say Delta is better than Seasonic, but that doesn't necessary mean that everything of Delta will be better than everything that Seasonic has to offer. Every company sells a wide range of products of varying quality to target a specific segment, so it's best not to judge a PSU solely on who makes it. Not to mentioned that the GB platform is an older design from 5 years ago, so you can't assume that it will hold up against some of CWT newer, modern design.

Anyways, I will still stick to my original recommendation even if the S12II-B were at the same price. And while the S/M12II-B 380-620 and its iteration aren't bad (they are much better than what the OP were looking at), I would like to see Seasonic push out something new in the budget segment rather than refreshing that old design (as seen with the EVO edition), when other companies had been moving forward.