14-140 f3.5-5.6 vs 100-300 f4.0-5.6 panasonic

Hey everyone!

I have recently ( about 2 months ago) bought a panasonic g7with the 14-42 kit lens, I really like the camera but would liek to expand my arsenal a bit.

I was looking at two pretty decent lenses and I wanted to ask you guys for some advice on which one to buy (first).

The panasonic 14-140 f3.5-5.6 http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Lumix-Vario-14-140mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B00CFCTH14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464116144&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+14-140

It offers an awesome 10x zoom range and should be pretty versatile, it would probably replace my kit lens.

The panasonic 100-300 f4.0-5.6 http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-H-FS100300-100-300mm-4-0-5-6-O-I-S/dp/B0043VE28S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464116240&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+100-300

This guy offers a 100-300mm zoom range and it would be pretty much ideal to get some long distance photographs, however, it lacks the ability to get a wide shot.

I mainly do event cinematograph and some nature photography in my spare time, I'm currently leaning more towards the 14-140 because I want to get some wide shots in between without having to change lenses, and I felt that the 42mm range of my current lens simply isn't enough to make some stealthy photos from a distance.

Remember that the panasonic g7 has a micro 4/3 sensor, so the effective focal range of the lenses is doubled.

Thanks a lot!

-Gijs

Sounds like you pretty much know which lens or at least the type of lens you want.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

2 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Sounds like you pretty much know which lens or at least the type of lens you want.

Pretty much, let me know if you have another lens that I might want to get ;-)

Just now, BelgiumCastGijs said:

versatility vs better zoom and better light higher zooms.

your choice :D 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

1 minute ago, ChrisCross said:

versatility vs better zoom and better light higher zooms.

your choice :D 

I guess I'll go with the 14-140, thanks!

2 minutes ago, BelgiumCastGijs said:

Pretty much, let me know if you have another lens that I might want to get ;-)

I would but I don't know the MFT lineup of lenses that well and even if I tell you which focal ranges to cover, the two lenses you selected might be the best within the budget you are willing to spare.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

As your actual lens overlap the 14-140, you can also sell the old lens. It might even help finance the second one.

16 hours ago, Alice in game said:

As your actual lens overlap the 14-140, you can also sell the old lens. It might even help finance the second one.

Why haven't I thought about this before... thanks for the advice!

17 hours ago, ALwin said:

I would but I don't know the MFT lineup of lenses that well and even if I tell you which focal ranges to cover, the two lenses you selected might be the best within the budget you are willing to spare.

The 14-140 retails for about €550 euros where I live, I'm willing to go a bit more expensive but I haven't found anything with the zoom range of that guy so I guess it'll be the one to get. Thanks a lot anyways!