Steam Link streaming Youtube, Twitch, etc ?

Go to solution Solved by tt2468,
7 hours ago, martward said:

Hi all,

I will be moving out soon and I want to have a TV or monitor where I can watch Youtube, Twitch, Netflix and my sports channel (over the internet) as well as play games (mostly RPGs because of the latency that will inevitably be present).

I found the Steam Link, and I've read that you can add non steam games to your account to use the browser for instance. So in theory I'd only need a browser (I saw Firefox is available), but I had a couple of questions.

- Will I be able to hook up a keyboard and mouse to the Steam Link to control the browser or do I need to go to the correct page and stuff on my main PC?

- Will watching content from the sources I named above be smooth, or should I expect choppy/low resolution video?

- Will this work decently when I use WiFi (it's a small place so the router will be close)?

I actually use firefox quite often with the steam link. You can control Firefox through the steam link with a normal keyboard and mouse. Content is very smooth, otherwise the steam link would not be useful for gaming. As long as there isn't too much wifi interference, you should be fine with using wifi. But I don't really see why you wouldn't be able to use just a cable if it is a short distance.

Hi all,

I will be moving out soon and I want to have a TV or monitor where I can watch Youtube, Twitch, Netflix and my sports channel (over the internet) as well as play games (mostly RPGs because of the latency that will inevitably be present).

I found the Steam Link, and I've read that you can add non steam games to your account to use the browser for instance. So in theory I'd only need a browser (I saw Firefox is available), but I had a couple of questions.

- Will I be able to hook up a keyboard and mouse to the Steam Link to control the browser or do I need to go to the correct page and stuff on my main PC?

- Will watching content from the sources I named above be smooth, or should I expect choppy/low resolution video?

- Will this work decently when I use WiFi (it's a small place so the router will be close)?

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Hi all,

I actually use firefox quite often with the steam link. You can control Firefox through the steam link with a normal keyboard and mouse. Content is very smooth, otherwise the steam link would not be useful for gaming. As long as there isn't too much wifi interference, you should be fine with using wifi. But I don't really see why you wouldn't be able to use just a cable if it is a short distance.

My native language is C++

Just now, tt2468 said:

So the place I will be living is kinda long and but only 2.2 meters wide, and there is a bathroom with toilet in the middle, making it even less wide at that point. The place where my couch and TV will be is on one side of the bathroom and the router is on the other side. On top of that they are on opposite sides of the room, so I would have to route a 5+ meter cable over the ceiling, which is kind of a drag. If performance is bad I could consider doing it, but if at all possible I'd rather not.

Good to know that it performs well, I finally won't have to sit behind my desk to watch content :D

Thanks

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

So the place I will be living is kinda long and but only 2.2 meters wide, and there is a bathroom with toilet in the middle, making it even less wide at that point. The place where my couch and TV will be is on one side of the bathroom and the router is on the other side. On top of that they are on opposite sides of the room, so I would have to route a 5+ meter cable over the ceiling, which is kind of a drag. If performance is bad I could consider doing it, but if at all possible I'd rather not.

Good to know that it performs well, I finally won't have to sit behind my desk to watch content :D

Thanks

You should be fine with wifi then. What an interesting living situation...

Just now, tt2468 said:

You should be fine with wifi then. What an interesting living situation...

Yeah it's a sea container. I am a student in Amsterdam who doesn't want to live with 5 or more other students, options are limited.

My System:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, martward said:

Yeah it's a sea container. I am a student in Amsterdam who doesn't want to live with 5 or more other students, options are limited.

Dude, sea container homes are super awesome! Nice!