Need good heat conductor, but can not conduct electricity

Mount the heated thing to an aluminum backed PCB

Use Kapton tape

Use Silicone insulator sheets

Use Mica insulating sheets

I have seen all of these done in car amps where the transistor tabs cannot be in electrical contact with the chassis

+1 for kapton tape. Pretty sure that shit was invented by NASA to withstand lots of heat, but I know it certainly can conduct heat. Some people use it on the heated beds of their 3D printers as well as the hot ends. Most hotends (when printing PLA) easily go over 400F so you should be good.

ASU

23 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

Can't work. It's a liquid. It'll leave gaps between the 2 items 

Has to solidly seperate it between 2 items .Can not have gaps

Also, @W-L

Ah srry missed that in my notifications but yes I have something that would work for this application, however it is permanent as it's a thermally conductive epoxy, however if this is for that heater coil project a heat conductive ceramic sleeve may be a something to look into as this isn't design for high heat application (max 175C):

http://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Thermally-Conductive-Encapsulating/dp/B005T8RZFG/ref=pd_sim_328_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41aMmewxH0L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR118%2C160_&refRID=18HH0JVZT4AEM6EHCT5Z

kapton tape or thermal pads (like the ones used in graphics cards)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

14 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

kapton tape or thermal pads (like the ones used in graphics cards)

~300f?

19 hours ago, W-L said:

Ah srry missed that in my notifications but yes I have something that would work for this application, however it is permanent as it's a thermally conductive epoxy, however if this is for that heater coil project a heat conductive ceramic sleeve may be a something to look into as this isn't design for high heat application (max 175C):

http://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Thermally-Conductive-Encapsulating/dp/B005T8RZFG/ref=pd_sim_328_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41aMmewxH0L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR118%2C160_&refRID=18HH0JVZT4AEM6EHCT5Z

llol. the nichrome is hot enough to burn carbon cloth( the stuff they use for pipe wileding

On 5/18/2016 at 10:27 AM, Hackentosher said:

+1 for kapton tape. Pretty sure that shit was invented by NASA to withstand lots of heat, but I know it certainly can conduct heat. Some people use it on the heated beds of their 3D printers as well as the hot ends. Most hotends (when printing PLA) easily go over 400F so you should be good.

i dont need to stop the heat, i need to conduct it.

On 5/18/2016 at 6:27 AM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Mount the heated thing to an aluminum backed PCB

Use Kapton tape

Use Silicone insulator sheets

Use Mica insulating sheets

I have seen all of these done in car amps where the transistor tabs cannot be in electrical contact with the chassis

will kapton conduct heat?

1 hour ago, Bajantechnician said:

~300f?

i dont need to stop the heat, i need to conduct it.

will kapton conduct heat?

It does, that's why it's used on heated beds. What's the point of a heated bed if the heat is isolated from the print?

ASU

1 hour ago, Hackentosher said:

It does, that's why it's used on heated beds. What's the point of a heated bed if the heat is isolated from the print?

Ahh, lol.

nvm. skimmed past the heated bed, and just red it as bed.

what temps can it handle?

2 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

-SNIP-

Just a suggestion over the ni-chrome wire stuff there are flexible kapton or silicone based film heater that would insulate and let you tightly wrap around the pipe. For certain kinds of kapton tape it should be able to sustain 400C max. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

Just a suggestion over the ni-chrome wire stuff there are flexible kapton or silicone based film heater that would insulate and let you tightly wrap around the pipe. For certain kinds of kapton tape it should be able to sustain 400C max. 

I see.

Is it that gold colored film?

7 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

I see.

Is it that gold colored film?

Yes that would be it just make sure it's rated for what you need in terms of temps as it can vary. 

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yes that would be it just make sure it's rated for what you need in terms of temps as it can vary. 

ahhh

i see. Where would i be able to obtain it?

home depot?

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

ahhh

home depot?

I would check industrial supply places or online electronic stores as they would carry this stuff. Home Depot or hardware stores wouldn't have this stuff on their shelves.  

5 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

ahhh

home depot?

I've seen it on Amazon for fairly cheap.

ASU

2 hours ago, W-L said:

I would check industrial supply places or online electronic stores as they would carry this stuff. Home Depot or hardware stores wouldn't have this stuff on their shelves.  

radioshack?

2 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I've seen it on Amazon for fairly cheap.

all the materials have to be store bought

3 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

radioshack?

Maybe, not sure if they still really carry components and parts theses days, in store as said unless it's an electronics or industrial supply store they most likely won't have it. 

13 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

Lol why? I mean Amazon is technically  a store, right? Although it's unlikely, if you can find a 3D printing shop, they would probably have it. Otherwise industrial supplies is probably your best option.

ASU

12 hours ago, W-L said:

Maybe, not sure if they still really carry components and parts theses days, in store as said unless it's an electronics or industrial supply store they most likely won't have it. 

1 hour ago, Hackentosher said:

Lol why? I mean Amazon is technically  a store, right? Although it's unlikely, if you can find a 3D printing shop, they would probably have it. Otherwise industrial supplies is probably your best option.

lol. yeah thats true.

whats a good industrial store?

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

whats a good industrial store?

Google?

ASU