First Build, looking for feedback

Hey everyone, I'm finally getting around to building my first PC and after working at it for a few months I feel like I've got a build I'm pretty comfortable with. I'm just looking for any additional input before I go ahead and order it.

Budget and Location: $600-$800 (with peripherals)

Aim: PC gaming (looking to play at mostly high settings at either a stable 60fps or higher)

Monitors: Just one monitor.

Peripherals: Need a keyboard, monitor, the OS, and possibly speakers.

Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZfDb4D

Concerns

Power Supply - Is the one I selected too much for what I need? PCPP says I should be pulling 338w from the machine so would a PSU that's supplying 650w be overkill?

CPU - Something I've been told a few times was that I should swap my CPU from a 4690 to a 6600 but every benchmarking video I've seen hasn't shown a drastic enough difference to justify getting the 6600; is there something I'm not seeing that makes it worth getting over what I currently selected?

CPU Cooler - If I have no interest in overclocking, should I bother getting a CPU cooler or should I stick with the stock one?

Monitor - I've seen people say that if you intend to play games higher than 60fps but you've got a 60hz monitor you'll experience screen tearing and won't get the most out of your build so I decided to go for a 144hz monitor. Is the monitor I selected fine? PCPP didn't really have a huge selection of 144hz or 120hz monitors to compare.

Kill the SSD

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

The V300 series is notoriously terrible, everyone here will tell you to drop it if you have any respect for your computer.

I would get more ram and bigger SSD smaller psu you system only produces 338W and you have a 650w get a 500W max. 

1 hour ago, Arcadium said:

Power Supply - Is the one I selected too much for what I need? PCPP says I should be pulling 338w from the machine so would a PSU that's supplying 650w be overkill?

Yes, [edit: you could get a lower wattage PSU.]

It doesn't hurt to have more for upgrades down the road, though.

CPU - Something I've been told a few times was that I should swap my CPU from a 4690 to a 6600 but every benchmarking video I've seen hasn't shown a drastic enough difference to justify getting the 6600; is there something I'm not seeing that makes it worth getting over what I currently selected?

Newer, DD4 Ram

CPU Cooler - If I have no interest in overclocking, should I bother getting a CPU cooler or should I stick with the stock one?

Stock is fine but a better cooler should increase life span of chip.

Monitor - I've seen people say that if you intend to play games higher than 60fps but you've got a 60hz monitor you'll experience screen tearing and won't get the most out of your build so I decided to go for a 144hz monitor. Is the monitor I selected fine? PCPP didn't really have a huge selection of 144hz or 120hz monitors to compare.

Not really good with monitor specs

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

2 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

Kill the SSD

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

The V300 series is notoriously terrible, everyone here will tell you to drop it if you have any respect for your computer.

But he bought it

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

8 minutes ago, Arcadium said:

Hey everyone, I'm finally getting around to building my first PC and after working at it for a few months I feel like I've got a build I'm pretty comfortable with. I'm just looking for any additional input before I go ahead and order it.

Aim: PC gaming (looking to play at mostly high settings at either a stable 60fps or higher)

Concerns

Do you plan on overclocking? Because for an extra $50 you can bet a Hyper 212 EVO and the 4690k. 

Alternatively you should swap for a H110 Skylake board and an i5 6500

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Get your money back from that ssd, if you insist on keeping it, never use it for anything you care even a little about. This includes your operating system.

12 minutes ago, Arcadium said:

Concerns

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ngFFWZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ngFFWZ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus H170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($104.99 @ Micro Center) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($50.40 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Micro Center) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($18.89 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($83.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Acer GN246HL 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($198.99 @ Directron) 
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $792.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-04 12:25 EDT-0400

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

3 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

I've unfortunately already purchased the SSD months ago since the reviews I read of that and the HDD said they were perfectly fine. I'm only now being made aware of its issues and I'm likely far outside the return policy.

2 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Do you plan on overclocking? Because for an extra $50 you can bet a Hyper 212 EVO and the 4690k. 

Alternatively you should swap for a H110 Skylake board and an i5 6500

After reading up on it I'm not sure I care much for overclocking.

2 minutes ago, LATINO WATER BOTTEL said:

also why do you need the DVD drive?

I still have some older games that are disc only.

okay well other wise their is nothing that i can see exempt for the mother board and the keyboard being different color I would go for a rgb on instead.

12 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ngFFWZ

Why the swap in motherboard? Its specs list it as supporting DDR4-2133 cards, will that 2400 you recommended still fit fine? Also, why go for the 6500 at 3.2Ghz when the 4690 is at 3.5Ghz?

Considering I've already purchased that SSD and can't return it, what do you guys recommend I do about it? I only ever planned on keeping the OS and a few programs on it, should I stick with it and replace it in a couple months with something better? I've heard good things about the Samsung SSD.

3 minutes ago, Arcadium said:

Why the swap in motherboard? Its specs list it as supporting DDR4-2133 cards, will that 2400 you recommended still fit fine? Also, why go for the 6500 at 3.2Ghz when the 4690 is at 3.5Ghz?

Considering I've already purchased that SSD and can't return it, what do you guys recommend I do about it? I only ever planned on keeping the OS and a few programs on it, should I stick with it and replace it in a couple months with something better? I've heard good things about the Samsung SSD.

GHz isnt everything, the 6500 is newer, and uses newer technology. 

The RAM will fit fine. 

if you already have the SSD, it works fine, it just is very slow for an SSD. 

Solitaire. 

I don't know if you saw my comment and I am surprise not more people said that but I would get the windows licence from a website. It is like $30 instead of $90. That way you could take a k processor and a cooler...

What about that? 

I just changed you processor, mobo, and ram. Same price and it has the OEM windows 10 key...

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NtsRpg
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NtsRpg/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.33 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI B150 Gaming M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($101.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($37.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Micro Center) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($18.89 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($30.00) 
Monitor: Acer GN246HL 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($198.99 @ Directron) 
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $786.04

10 minutes ago, jetstarkiller said:

What about that? 

I just changed you processor, mobo, and ram. Same price and it has the OEM windows 10 key...

Apologies, forgot to mention that I definitely saw your post and bookmarked the link thanks for that.

So I was looking at PSU to swap to and saw these two. Would anyone recommend either of these or should I look at something else?
Corsair: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx500m

EVGA: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr

I also realized a friend had given me an extra PSU he had years ago and after some looking I managed to find it. Should I perhaps just stick with this one instead and save the money or is it in my best interest to get a newer PSU?

LSP: http://amzn.com/B000WDSYXK

1 hour ago, Arcadium said:

Apologies, forgot to mention that I definitely saw your post and bookmarked the link thanks for that.

So I was looking at PSU to swap to and saw these two. Would anyone recommend either of these or should I look at something else?
Corsair: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx500m

EVGA: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr

I also realized a friend had given me an extra PSU he had years ago and after some looking I managed to find it. Should I perhaps just stick with this one instead and save the money or is it in my best interest to get a newer PSU?

LSP: http://amzn.com/B000WDSYXK

I would definitely get another power supply. 

Both power supply are ok but they will not run as efficiently and will increase a tiny bit your electricity bill compare to the gold one. But they are ok  

12 minutes ago, jetstarkiller said:

I would definitely get another power supply. 

Both power supply are ok but they will not run as efficiently and will increase a tiny bit your electricity bill compare to the gold one. But they are ok  

Would this one be a better choice? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cs550m

They are all ok. Honestly I am not sure how much more a bronze will cost you per month compare to a gold power supply. 

1. You want a K CPU with that board!

2. Why not R9 390? (if you hate AMD then fine go 970)

3. No better sticks of RAM to find? (those are average but not great...)

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

1 hour ago, Nena360 said:

1. You want a K CPU with that board!

2. Why not R9 390? (if you hate AMD then fine go 970)

3. No better sticks of RAM to find? (those are average but not great...)

Don't really have any interest in overclocking though, at least not anytime soon and I was stupidly lucky to have a friend give me a 970 he didn't want so I've been building the computer around that sort of. I saw the G.Skill Ripjaw V sticks recommended above and was heavily considering those since I'd get double the RAM my current build has and they're newer for just a bit more.