Free solution for streaming content from PC to devices?

I am an SSD

I know and have seen the video Linus made about this a while back, but nearly all of the services mentioned were paid. I was wondering if there is any solution for direct streaming of content from  a windows PC to an android phone. 

I set up an FTP server to do the same, but the app I was using, Diceplayer, simply did not recognise it and forced me to give up. 

I saw the media server option in windows but it turns out its just a glorified homegroup feature, which I can only access on my other windows PC. 

I will not be using this feature much, which is why I dont want to spend money on it. If anyone has any solution that use a built in feature of windows, or any other free software/server (other than things like Google drive) , id be happy to hear it. 

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

You could setup a Plex server, there is a free and paid option and the paid option is only extras like trailers or the ability to download to the mobile and watch offline.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

27 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You could setup a Plex server, there is a free and paid option and the paid option is only extras like trailers or the ability to download to the mobile and watch offline.

Wow are you sure? Because I thought even streaming is a paid option. I have a DLNA server set up, or any DLNA client which works well is fine by me too. 

Anyway Ill check out plex now . thanks for the info

Spoiler

Yah, last time I looked there wasn't anything about remote or local streaming being a paid only feature. There are some nice features in the premium version but nothing left out of the free version that would hurt basic functionality such as that.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, last time I looked there wasn't anything about remote or local streaming being a paid only feature. There are some nice features in the premium version but nothing left out of the free version that would hurt basic functionality such as that.

I tried Bubble Upnp but that doesnt work very well.

It turns out plex has a trial mode. 

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I tried Bubble Upnp but that doesnt work very well.

It turns out plex has a trial mode. 

Spoiler

54 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

At home or on the move?

At home. Though if there is a solution for on the move , id love to hear it as well.

Spoiler

I have always use the DLNA feature build in Windows, and it works perfectly for streaming pictures, videos and music to my phone (Xperia Z2).

The only trouble I ever had was with certain encodings, but those were like 5 files out of hundreds.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Just now, Sors said:

I have always use the DLNA feature build in Windows, and it works perfectly for streaming pictures, videos and music to my phone.

The only trouble I ever had was with certain encodings, but those were like 5 files out of hundreds.

But which app do you use to recieve it?

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, I am an SSD said:

But which app do you use to recieve it?

The stock video player from my phone.  There is a " find server" option, I have use it with Xperia and Samsung models.

Just now, Sors said:

The stock video player from my phone.  There is a " find server" option, I have seen it in all Xperia and Samsung models.

hmm..I own a nexus so no such thing like that on my phone. Let me know if you know about any other app available on the play store that can function the same way

Spoiler

hmm..I own a nexus so no such thing like that on my phone. Let me know if you know about any other app available on the play store that can function the same way

Pretty much Any file explorer app can see DLNA servers.

Just now, Sors said:

Pretty much Any file explorer app can see DLNA servers.

Im checking with video players...but so far no luck. Ill just download ES file explorer and see how it goes

Spoiler

download kodi, you can add a folder on your pc as a source as long as you're on a local network. very easy to setup

Just now, LordLeewee said:

download kodi, you can add a folder on your pc as a source as long as you're on a local network. very easy to setup

With every method I used, i am able to access my computer. Its just that it stops short when trying  to play the video. 

I have been trying to play 1080p videos till now on my Nexus 5 using Diceplayer, Bs player, emit, plex etc. Plex worked, but as I said that was a trial version. 

Even if I do get to play the video, it takes a long time to buffer, something which was not a problem with plex. 

What can the slow speed be due to? The network isnt clogged by any means

Spoiler

With every method I used, i am able to access my computer. Its just that it stops short when trying  to play the video. 

I have been trying to play 1080p videos till now on my Nexus 5 using Diceplayer, Bs player, emit, plex etc. Plex worked, but as I said that was a trial version. 

Even if I do get to play the video, it takes a long time to buffer, something which was not a problem with plex. 

What can the slow speed be due to? The network isnt clogged by any means

kodi works perfectly. i have it installed  on 2 htpc's and 2 android boxes in my home, all point to my main workstation pc which has everything grouped in folders (movies, tv, etc) and plays full 1080 videos over wifi and ethernet just fine. 

Just now, LordLeewee said:

kodi works perfectly. i have it installed  on 2 htpc's and 2 android boxes in my home, all point to my main workstation pc which has everything grouped in folders (movies, tv, etc) and plays full 1080 videos over wifi and ethernet just fine. 

All right, will try it out . Thanks a lot

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Plex is my vote.

As for cost, most everything is free, this includes streaming via the web and to PCs/Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire that are on the same network.

Streaming to the mobile app is $5 one time cost.

There is also Plex Pass that is a monthly subscription that adds trailers, early access to new features, the ability to download and watch media offline on the mobile app as well as waives the $5 streaming fee.

So really, to be able to stream anywhere Plex effectively costs $5.

Fractal Design Define R5 | i7-4790k | Corsair H80 | Asus Z97-Pro WiFi | 2 x EVGA GTX 970 SSC+ | 16GB G.Skill Sniper@1866MHz | Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB | 1TB + 750GB drives | EVGA 750W G2 | 27" BenQ IPS 1440p@60Hz | Windows 10

Just now, yippy3000 said:

Plex is my vote.

As for cost, most everything is free, this includes streaming via the web and to PCs/Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire that are on the same network.

Streaming to the mobile app is $5 one time cost.

There is also Plex Pass that is a monthly subscription that adds trailers, early access to new features, the ability to download and watch media offline on the mobile app as well as waives the $5 streaming fee.

So really, to be able to stream anywhere Plex effectively costs $5.

Right ..ill probably use plex when I move away from home....

But for now, im just using the Windows inbuilt DLNA server....then accessing LAN from ES file explorer on my mobile device......Works fine

Spoiler