Overuse of the Word "Epic"!

Geekazoid

EDIT: Added a poll.

Okay, so going on the title of this thread you can probably guess what this is about.

Do any of agree that in last couple of years till this year the "epic" has been used out of context and completely overused? I do understand that some of you may use the word this way but it's getting rather annoying. The saying "epic fail" for one is incorrect grammar, the correct grammar would be "epic failure", but who cares. The point I'm trying to make is that the word epic shouldn't be used for every situation because it starts to make a word, that was once used sparingly, meaningless.

I would guess at least some of you agree with what I'm saying, right?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I totally agree, the word has lost its meaning in some way. We need a new word that tops even epic.

I need a USB-refrigerator for my beer

I totally agree, the word has lost its meaning in some way. We need a new word that tops even epic.

"supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" maybe?

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

Epic is not a word that I epicly use in all of my epic sentences. However if I did use epic in all of my sentences then you would be reading a very epic sentence. And epicly enough I have used the word epic in all three of these epic sentences. I am very epic.

Edit: I read: Overuse the word "epic"

I reckon that give a bit longer and people will use it like a swear word. Example: "what the epic are you doing? That's epicing stupid."

Oh FYI, (haha) that wasn't an invitation to go all epic crazy with the word.

People actually still use the word "epic" to as an adjective? I only ever used the word epic to describe poetry.

And this topic is an epic win

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

The overuse and misuse of "Epic" specially bugs me when Corporate types use it for their products when aimed at gamers or teens

4wRCv.jpg

AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - XFX HD7870 CORE - 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 - 1 TB Western Digital Green - 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar

OCZ ModXstream 600W - 16 GB Corsair XMS3 - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - Logitech G110 - Speedlink Kudos - Sennheiser HD 518

Steam The reason I am still alive Dark Theme

I've actually not heard people say "epic" for a long time. It was said more often a few(2-3) years ago.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

I've actually not heard people say "epic" for a long time. It was said more often a few(2-3) years ago.

Yeah, I do agree with that, however I'm just going over the fact of when it was used quite a lot.

In my daily life there isn't too many people who still overuse the word EPIC. (There a still a few.) However, if you were to ask me 2 years ago I would have totally been on board with you that epic is a overused and abused word.

PC Specs

CPU: AMD FX 8150 GPU: Asus GTX 550 ti RAM: 8 GB 1600 MHZ Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 PSU: Some cheapy 800 Watt PSU :/

I voted no. I don't hear it, but that may be because the only people I associate with on a regular basis are those of the female variety

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

How about mine?

It's epically unepic

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Beowulf was an epic. The Lord of the Rings was an epic. It has a very specific meaning.

The one that winds me up is when you get (mostly) Americans saying "awesome" when they mean "awe inspiring". 

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

It is epic that you added a poll

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

I remember this rather unoriginal Sonic fan that hooked up with an old ex for a brief little while before she inevitably dumped him for being an idiot. His character was basically  Sonic..in a biker jacket...and white Shadow stripes..I kid you not, this was the max extent of his originality. Every time he would stream himself playing a game, he overused the word "epic" so much that I actually questioned my ex's sanity for even hooking up with the guy in the first place.