First AIO cooler. Where to plug pump and fans?

I am right in the middle of building my new system. I am using an AIO Lepa Aquachanger 240. The fans are 4 pin PWM. The pump is a 3 pin. 

The motherboard documentation says to plug the pump into CPU OPT and the fans into CPU. I want to make sure this is correct. The Lepa also came with a molex adapter for the pump but I really don't want to run the pump directly to the PSU because I want to be able to monitor my pump speed so I can tell if it starts dying down the road.

I have searched and found conflicting answers. One person will say fans go to CPU and pump to CPU OPT. Next person says it's the reverse of that, and the third person says run the pump off the molex adapter.

The pinout for my Gigabyte mobo is as follows:

CPU FAN

1. GND

2. +12V

3. Sense

4. Speed control

CPU OPT

1. GND

2. Speed control

3. Sense

4. VCC

I would think fans=CPU and pump=CPU OPT. If someone could clear this up for me, I would be very grateful! Thanks guys & gals.

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 || 

I'd recommend getting a molex to 3-pin adapter, and plug the pump directly to your PSU, for the constant 12v. The fans, they should go into the CPU and CPU_OPT connectors. Or you could get a fan controller and hook them up to that.

My board has 2 cpu  fan connectors - CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT, they function the same, the OPT one is just an additional one if you have a dual fan cpu cooler.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

1 minute ago, Fulgrim said:

I'd recommend getting a molex to 3-pin adapter, and plug the pump directly to your PSU, for the constant 12v.

Though the CPU fan header should accomplish the same thing.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Though the CPU fan header should accomplish the same thing.

Would it not be in PWM mode though?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Just now, Fulgrim said:

Would it not be in PWM mode though?

The connector on the pump is apparently a three pin, which would mean it would only have access to voltage control. Just as an example, my Kraken x60 uses a three pin connector and I have it connected to the CPU fan header on my board. The pump runs at full speed constantly.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

The connector on the pump is apparently a three pin, which would mean it would only have access to voltage control. Just as an example, my Kraken x60 uses a three pin connector and I have it connected to the CPU fan header on my board. The pump runs at full speed constantly.

Meh, i got told differently. Not that it matters now though, i went back to my NH-D15 for the silence. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Just now, Fulgrim said:

Meh, i got told differently. Not that it matters now though, i went back to my NH-D15 for the silence. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I prefer my AIO. Takes up less space around the board, and no interference with anything. Board looks cleaner too.

I prefer my AIO. Takes up less space around the board, and no interference with anything. Board looks cleaner too.

Silence over looks for me mate. Also, i don't have the worry at the back of my mind, of either the pump dying, or a leak happening. But physically, it's definitely better looking/cleaner to have an AIO.

2 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

Silence over looks for me mate. Also, i don't have the worry at the back of my mind, of either the pump dying, or a leak happening. But physically, it's definitely better looking/cleaner to have an AIO.

Kraken x60 is three years old and still kicking. :)

So based on this, I am going to run the pump and fans both off of headers. My next question is why do my CPU FAN and CPU OPT have different pinouts? Which one should I put where?

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 || 

I have mine so that the fan is in the CPU Header, and the pump in a chassis header, and set the pump to full power in the UEFI. At least with the H60 I read that the pump only operates correctly if set at full speed. People reported buzzing noises when it was running too slow.

Main rig: Intel i7 6700K @ 4 Ghz with Silverstone Argon AR06 + Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM, Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, 2 x 8 GiB Corsair LPX Red @ 2.133 Mhz, MSI GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB, Corsair SF600, Silverstone Raven RVZ02 (no window version).

For on the road: MSI GE72 2QC Apache with 16 GiB RAM upgrade.

Do you think it would be okay to plug it into CPU OPT since that is what Gigabyte designates this header for? I would think that since the pump is only a 3 pin, it should run at full tilt.

1 minute ago, jonathan13 said:

Do you think it would be okay to plug it into CPU OPT since that is what Gigabyte designates this header for? I would think that since the pump is only a 3 pin, it should run at full tilt.

CPU fan header is fine for the pump. Yes, the pump is not advertised as a Variable Speed Pump I don't think, so it would need to run at full speed.

5 minutes ago, Serath said:

People reported buzzing noises when it was running too slow.

That's because the H60 doesn't use a variable speed pump. Its speed is not supposed to be adjusted.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

That's because the H60 doesn't use a variable speed pump. Its speed is not supposed to be adjusted.

Ah, that explains.

Main rig: Intel i7 6700K @ 4 Ghz with Silverstone Argon AR06 + Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM, Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, 2 x 8 GiB Corsair LPX Red @ 2.133 Mhz, MSI GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB, Corsair SF600, Silverstone Raven RVZ02 (no window version).

Just now, Serath said:

Ah, that explains.

That being said, Corsair's fans are terrible when it comes to lowering the voltage. They have a ticking problem that can be heard if the voltage is set to around to 5V. It made me run the fans on high 24/7 when they were connected to my radiator.

They're the AF 140 fans FYI that I was using.

Got a pair of Noctua's left, thinking about putting that one in instead of Corsair's, I'm only not sure if it's optimized for Static Pr

10 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

That being said, Corsair's fans are terrible when it comes to lowering the voltage. They have a ticking problem that can be heard if the voltage is set to around to 5V. It made me run the fans on high 24/7 when they were connected to my radiator.

They're the AF 140 fans FYI that I was using.

Got a pair of Noctua's left, thinking about putting that one in instead of Corsair's, I'm only not sure if they're optimized for Static Pressure.

Edit: Oh, according to the site, the NF-F12 PWM is optimised for Static Pressure, nice.

Alright, I'm going to run the fans on CPU FAN and the pump on CPU OPT. I will report back if for some reason this arrangement does not function properly.

2 minutes ago, jonathan13 said:

Alright, I'm going to run the fans on CPU FAN and the pump on CPU OPT. I will report back if for some reason this arrangement does not function properly.

Good luck. May the force be with you.

Just wanted to give an update for anyone who may stumble upon this thread in the future. Using the radiator fans on CPU FAN and the pump on CPU OPT, in my case has worked perfectly. My setup is:

-Gigabyte z170x-gaming-7

-Lepa Aquachanger 240

In this scenario it works. The Lepa has a 3 pin wire for it's pump, so this may not work if the pump on your water-cooler is 4 wire.

I currently have my i7-6700k overclocked to 4.6 and running Cinebench R15, I never saw a package temperature over 57 degrees. 

40 minutes ago, jonathan13 said:

Just wanted to give an update for anyone who may stumble upon this thread in the future. Using the radiator fans on CPU FAN and the pump on CPU OPT, in my case has worked perfectly. My setup is:

-Gigabyte z170x-gaming-7

-Lepa Aquachanger 240

In this scenario it works. The Lepa has a 3 pin wire for it's pump, so this may not work if the pump on your water-cooler is 4 wire.

I currently have my i7-6700k overclocked to 4.6 and running Cinebench R15, I never saw a package temperature over 57 degrees. 

Does the pump run at full speed?

I've looked in the BIOS and I cannot find any speeds. The last Skylake I built was MSI and their BIOS was much more simplified. Gigabyte's BIOS is probably still perfect for the average person. I have built 3 Skylake systems in the last 2 months, and those were my first builds in about 8 years- still a little rusty.

That being said, if anyone could point me in the right direction in the BIOS, I would be happy to post the pump speed. 

I did use Hardware Monitor to watch my temps during Cinebench, and it had fan speeds in there but it wasn't labeled the same as it is on the motherboard. I did not see anything that said CPU OPT.

UPDATE:

I downloaded some monitoring software from Gigabyte and was able to see what CPU OPT was running at. It had it on a curve where the pump was only running at 800RPM at idle. I have since changed it to max at all load points. I am going to redo some of the benchmarks and see if my temps change at all. I wouldn't think that the 100% load temps would differ because it was set to ramp up the pump RPM under load, but this change may cause my idle temps to be lower.

• 6 years later...
On 4/4/2016 at 4:50 AM, jonathan13 said:

UPDATE:

I downloaded some monitoring software from Gigabyte and was able to see what CPU OPT was running at. It had it on a curve where the pump was only running at 800RPM at idle. I have since changed it to max at all load points. I am going to redo some of the benchmarks and see if my temps change at all. I wouldn't think that the 100% load temps would differ because it was set to ramp up the pump RPM under load, but this change may cause my idle temps to be lower.

Hey man I appreciate all the updates you've been doing, what is the software you used that allowed you to ramp up the CPU_OPT to 100%?