Copper plate between GPU and AIO?

Hey. So i was planning on putting my old Corsair H100 on my Palit Jetstream 780ti

As far as I've measured and looked at this it should fit perfectly if i just remove the heatsink. So the fans and the whole shroud will stay. Also then the plate cooling the mosfets, memory etc.

Tho my problem is that the copper base on the H100 measures at 50x60mm and the die on the gpu is 55.5x55.5mm (If i am not wrong)

This means that i cant get the H100's copper to touch the die it self, we are talking 0.5mm clearance or something of that sort.

So to my question, unsolved problems.

Will a copper plate between the GPU and the AIO Impact performance much?

And

Where/how do i properly search for these? Ive found a few (tho to small) On ebay, Frozencpu i  cant find them. either my searches finds nothing or it finds 50 pages of not what i am looking for!

1 hour ago, Sikator said:

Hey. So i was planning on putting my old Corsair H100 on my Palit Jetstream 780ti

As far as I've measured and looked at this it should fit perfectly if i just remove the heatsink. So the fans and the whole shroud will stay. Also then the plate cooling the mosfets, memory etc.

Tho my problem is that the copper base on the H100 measures at 50x60mm and the die on the gpu is 55.5x55.5mm (If i am not wrong)

This means that i cant get the H100's copper to touch the die it self, we are talking 0.5mm clearance or something of that sort.

So to my question, unsolved problems.

Will a copper plate between the GPU and the AIO Impact performance much?

And

Where/how do i properly search for these? Ive found a few (tho to small) On ebay, Frozencpu i  cant find them. either my searches finds nothing or it finds 50 pages of not what i am looking for!

Watch this video it answers your question.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

2 hours ago, shawn finkenstead said:

Watch this video it answers your question.

I am aware of these kind of solutions. but i am trying something different. As i said in the post, I want to remove the heatsink inside the graphics card. it will then end up with the fan around it (cause that is attatched to the cooling plate on the PCB)
So i do have room to put the H100 inside. my only problem is to find a copper plate to raise the heat up so the H100 block will get contact.

How big a copper plate do you need? They can be found on eBay. I'm pretty sure you're looking at 25mm by 25mm for the gpu die. 

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

51 minutes ago, Jidonsu said:

How big a copper plate do you need? They can be found on eBay. I'm pretty sure you're looking at 25mm by 25mm for the gpu die. 

Wow. How could i be so ignorant... i am not that new to building computers and ive done this on 2 other gpu's But that i actually planned on filling the whole core/die which i am to believe is 55.1x55.1mm? i am really getting confused here. I got the info from this pic btw.

rumored-specifications-amd-radeon-r9-290

Okey so it is 23x24mm So 25x25mm should fit perfectly, that should make it easier to find

7 hours ago, Sikator said:

I am aware of these kind of solutions. but i am trying something different. As i said in the post, I want to remove the heatsink inside the graphics card. it will then end up with the fan around it (cause that is attatched to the cooling plate on the PCB)
So i do have room to put the H100 inside. my only problem is to find a copper plate to raise the heat up so the H100 block will get contact.

This was to show that it worked. That's it. So just figure the size of the shim you need and go for it.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

On 3/22/2016 at 8:25 PM, Jidonsu said:

Thank you! i got the 25x25x1.5mm ones.

Ordered some new compound and ill update when i'm on this!

On 3/22/2016 at 10:45 PM, shawn finkenstead said:

This was to show that it worked. That's it. So just figure the size of the shim you need and go for it.

I am sorry. I see now and i think 1.5 should be enough, the cooling plate on the Jetstream is a bit thicker, how much i don't know atm as i can't find my caliper.

1 hour ago, Sikator said:

Thank you! i got the 25x25x1.5mm ones.

Ordered some new compound and ill update when i'm on this!

I am sorry. I see now and i think 1.5 should be enough, the cooling plate on the Jetstream is a bit thicker, how much i don't know atm as i can't find my caliper.

Ah no need to be sorry. Just didn't want any confusion. Because I know someone who followed that video and it worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, So there is a sad ending to this project.

It will sound pretty stupid, but i know what not to do with overclocking. And as my 780ti was bios flashed with unlocked power and 1212 mv.

As i was tweaking the core clock, i pressed on the power, Corsair link software popped up and little did i know the selection of the power slider was toggled. I took it back to 120%, went down and changed the core clock by typing in the numbers in myself. When i did that the slider followed the mouse to 200% i wrote in my 200+ core and clicked apply. and that was the end.

It was hard watching when 1 screen went black while the other froze, and the fan speed on my 780ti locked at 100%

So that's all. The card isn't being recognized in windows or by any software anymore, fan speed is always 100% so i guess i got some saving up to do and a lesson learnt, always double check before "Apply"

I want to thank you guys for the help. :) This project is something i have done on my now using 560ti, But this is not the end!