Learn Python the Hard Way

Jerahmy
Go to solution Solved by EpicAdom,
On 3/7/2016 at 7:06 PM, Jerahmy said:

Hello!

Learn Python the Hard Way is wanting me to install Python 2 NOT Python 3. I was wondering if this is still a reliable source. I have heard that Python 2 is going obsolete and if I should learn from a different source?

Thanks,

Jerahmy 

If you want a book that teaches Python 3, Think Python is a great option. If not, the only major difference between Python 2 and Python 3 is in their print statements.

Hello!

Learn Python the Hard Way is wanting me to install Python 2 NOT Python 3. I was wondering if this is still a reliable source. I have heard that Python 2 is going obsolete and if I should learn from a different source?

Thanks,

Jerahmy 

I think that the book is written for Python 2, not 3, but in all truth, you should be able to use Python 3 with it.  The biggest difference when you're learning is how print works:

# Python 2--it's a statement
print "the thing you want to print"

# Python 3--it's a function
print("the thing you want to print")

A lot of code is still written in Python 2, but that's largely because the Python foundation kept supporting it after Python 3 was released, so a lot of people never had incentive to switch over and learn the new (but only kind of different) way of doing things.  Python 3 is still where the active development is, too, and the developers really encourage people to use version 3.

So download Python 3.  You might want to go skim the Python Foundation's intro to Python 3 and maybe a list of differences between 2 and 3.  Aside from a few small bumps, it should be pretty smooth, though, even with a different version of the language installed.

2 hours ago, Jerahmy said:

-snip-

Just learn Python 3. It's not that hard at all to change Python 2 code to 3. I'm reviewing python from Learn Python the Hard Way as well. (I kind of forgot it after learning C in college).

I feel sorry for whoever learns python these days. Stop wasting your time! learn a real language C++, Java, C#, Swift.  

"Oh but but you might say, there are all these great benefits that you've read on an article somewhere on the internet" - You can shove these "great benefits" right up the arse. without speed, that language will burn to the ground. Libraries? well if there are thousands of libraries for python then there's Billions of libraries for Java or c++. But hey if you're a console type of a guy then python is the right choice for you (Y) xD Filthy Casual! 

There are numerous positive things that make Python a worthwhile language to know. Heck, last I heard it was one of the languages Google used along with C++ and Java. We aren't video game characters only capable of knowing a few things. Learn everything.

More on topic, use Python 3. If nothing else having to work out any differences between the book's examples and how to do it the new way will just make you that much better!

On 3/7/2016 at 7:06 PM, Jerahmy said:

Hello!

Thanks,

Jerahmy 

If you want a book that teaches Python 3, Think Python is a great option. If not, the only major difference between Python 2 and Python 3 is in their print statements.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home