Upgrading my lenovo G50-70

kivince

hello everyone,

I am thinking of upgrading my Lenovo G50-70 laptop from i5-4210U to i7 6700k and increasing my RAM to 16GB and hard disk to 2 TB

I need all information and guidance on what to buy and whether it will fit my current laptop or just forget about the upgrade.

You can't upgrade the cpu of a laptop to a desktop cpu, or in general with a G50-70

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Just now, kivince said:

hello everyone,

I am thinking of upgrading my Lenovo G50-70 laptop from i5-4210U to i7 6700k and increasing my RAM to 16GB and hard disk to 2 TB

I need all information and guidance on what to buy and whether it will fit my current laptop or just forget about the upgrade.

The hard drive and RAM is possible but CPU upgrade is impossible. Laptops don't use off the shelf CPU's they use low power laptop chips. And if you could put that CPU into it your battery would last like 30 mins and you would have lots of thermal throttling under load.

PC Specs:

Core I5 4690K CPU
Gigabyte GTX 960 windforce 4GB GDDR5 GPU
Corsair 100R case
Seasonic 620W S12-II PSU
Kingston SSDNow 120GB SSD
Toshiba 1TB HDD
Asrock H97 Pro4 motherboard
8GB panram DDR3 1600 RAM
Windows 10 home 64 bit

so that means i will just remain with my i5-4210U?

i cannot increase it to an i7?

1 minute ago, kivince said:

Correct

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Just now, kivince said:

No, you can't. The RAM and HDD would work, but have you run out of space on the 500gb/1tb stock drive already or does it look like you will soon?

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

@Ryoutarou97,

Yes,pretty much..the 1tb is almost full since i am a gamer and most of the games eat up to 30gb..

and if i wanna improve the performance of the same laptop,will increasing the RAM and installing a video card help?

1 minute ago, kivince said:

and if i wanna improve the performance of the same laptop,will increasing the RAM and installing a video card help?

RAM won't do much for performance and you can't install a gpu in that laptop.

My Build:

Spoiler

thanks guys,i think i will need to buy a new laptop

Just now, kivince said:

This is the most bogus laptop ever,

No, that's just a regular laptop, Apart from very few exceptions they are not upgradable beyond ssd/hdd and ram.

My Build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, kivince said:

Centurius, what high end performing laptop do you recommend?

Well first of all, if you want true upgrade ability you'll want to go with a desktop.

Beyond that I'd seriously look into the Razer Blade Stealth, once the core add-on is released you can install different GPU's on it. 

My Build:

Spoiler

thanks centurius, i will look into it and get to you one of these days