Acer Aspire S7-392-9890 - My First Look

Ok so if you saw one of my topics before I was asking for a new ultrabook and was going to be getting a lower end ultrabook but that has changed after talking to my parents and they wanted to know what kind of ultrabook I wanted and to look around to make sure that I knew what I wanted to get and make sure that I liked what I picked out. At first I was looking at the mid ranged Ultrabooks and did find anyone that I really liked but then I remeberd that Linus was absolutely drooling over a laptop that he had earlier this year and found out it was the Acer Apsire S7-391, Looked online and found out that there is the newer version with Haswell and almost all of the complaints from the first one is adressed and I absolutely fell in love with it at first sight, but the biggest draw back was the price of it. But I just got it today so they must had ordered it when I didn't know and now I am typing this review/first look with it, $1500 is a lot of money and I'm trying to find a time when they're out of the house to sneak some of my money that I haved saved up for a laptop because I don't think they should be paying for it at all.

ANYWHO back on topic

Acer-Aspire-S7-front_original.jpg

First Look:

When I first unboxed it, oh man was it gorgeous, the pictures online and the videos on YouTube does not do it justice at all. It is incredibly thin and lightweight and gorgeous.

What I like:

First with the outside I love the Gorilla Glass, it makes it stand out more for some reason. The build quality is also amazing, there is almost no plastic in this and if there is there must be very, very little because it does not feel cheap at all. Even though it is under 3 pounds and a little over half an inch there is no flex and the body stays solid when you hold it from one end if you need to move somewhere. I've read reviews on other sites and some people have said that they keyboard is terrible or it's average for the price, I for one can easily type on this keyboard with little mistakes. In fact I am using it right now for this first look thingy. another thing that I don't have a problem with is the mouse pad. It's not as bad as the people have said but it's still not the best, it's not as great as Macbooks but it is definitely nice mouse pads from what I have used in the passed. The screen is also very nice, a 1920x1080 IPS screen is another gorgeous feature on this ultrabook.

What I don't like:

But there are also some things that I don't like about this Ultrabook but none of them is major to me. One of the biggest things that I don't like is the charging block, the part that plugs into the wall. That is very big and bulky I don't see why they changed it from the regular outlet to this even bulkier one, seems like a step backwards but at least I won't have to carry it around unless I'm going somewhere longer than a day. On my ultrabook my left mouse pad click is definitely louder than the right click for some reason but I don't use the left click as I just tap the mousepad instead. One other gripe about this Aspire is the opening of the lid, for me it is rather difficult to open up and I feel a bit awkward opening it but time will tell if I get better at opening it or it's actually the design on the ultrabook so that is just being picky. Now back to they keyboard I know I said that I like it and can easily type on it, But I understand where the other people are saying why they don't like it. When typing if you hit it on the edge like the backspace it might not register sometimes, but for me this is not a problem because I do type a little heaver than I should so it always register but I can see why this can be a make it or break it issue. The last issue that I have with this ultrabook is they back light on the keyboard takes a while to come on and by the time I'm done typing it's on but I don't need it anymore.

Most if not all of the things that I don't like about this Ultrabook to me are very picky things but it might be some major problems for some people. I will try and continue to update this topic as the longer I use it for school work and when I don't want to use my desktop.

Also If you have any questions about the Aspire S7 leave a comment here and I'll try and get back to you as soon as possible. ( Don't know why I'm doing this first look so late)

DAY 1: Today was another day in school but now I had this laptop with me to do my work. One of the first things that I was worried about was the battery life. I was not dissapointed with at all. Like all the other reviews out there it does have a long battery life, I've been constantly using it from 8am this morning to about 2pm when school got out and I still have another 40% left and says tht I have another 4 hours of battery left. One of the things that I said that I didn't like about this machine was opening it  but after opening it and closing it severals times today I have gotten used to it and now it opens rather easily so that is good, just had to get used to the mechanism. Also I've gotten a lot of people talking about this laptop because it was not a regular ultrabook. A lot of people were surpised at how light it was and how nice it looked, even by a couple of my friends who have Macbook Pros. One thing that I have noticed about it was that it collects fingerprints like a magnet (no surpise) but it does not show up unless you're actively looking for it on the top of the ultrabook and the touchscreen. I call this day a complete success.

Day 2: Another day with the Acer and still like it very much and not having any major problems. Battery life still good and love how it boots up and restart back where you left off if you have to shut the screen off. Also used the power button a lot more today to get the feel for it and I have to say that for me it not an issue for me. Some other people who have the Aspire S7 they say that they keep accidentally hitting the power button on the front left side of the Ultrabook. For me I know where it is and I can easily avoid it. But I do wish there was feed back when pressing it, you don't really feel it when pressing it until it's basically all the way pushed in but not a big issue. 

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

I could think of several other things I'd drop 1.5k on before giving anything Acer a second glance. If you're happy with your system, good. Dunno about Acer's build quality today, but when i had no other choice but to use a couple of Acer netbooks and one laptop a few years back...I couldn't stand the terrible build quality of those machines. :ph34r:

I know Linus has a personal hardon for this ultrabook. Anyone else have any opinions?

I could think of several other things I'd drop 1.5k on before giving anything Acer a second glance. If you're happy with your system, good. Dunno about Acer's build quality today, but when i had no other choice but to use a couple of Acer netbooks and one laptop a few years back...I couldn't stand the terrible build quality of those machines. :ph34r:

See I wanted to go away with they had done in the past. The build quality of their past products is no where near this product. I know I was a bit skeptical but it really is a very well built machine

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

See I wanted to go away with they had done in the past. The build quality of their past products is no where near this product. I know I was a bit skeptical but it really is a very well built machine

That's awesome, no really, I'm being legit. Do keep us posted on this unit! Their past products were terrible, but if they turned around, that's only good news for consumers.

I think it's really great. The gorilla glass is what really puts it over other ultrabooks. I have seem a couple of these on campus already so it means there is interest. Good for acer. They have really turned things around. They are taking risks too like the r7. Thats always good to see.  Good review.

Ok so using the Aspire S7 for over a week now I love this thing. But now I see a problem that would annoy me. When using anything like firefox, excel, or word on my screen the top right and the very edge of the right hand side of the screen seems to burn in the image of what window you are using. From what I have seen it is not permanent since it goes away after putting the S7 to sleep and when it turns back on it goes away. This might be because it's an IPS panel (I highly doubt that but never had an IPS panel before) or for some reason mine is more prone to the burn in images. Not a deal breaker but annoying when you see minute detail changes.

• 1 month later...

Ok so using the Aspire S7 for over a week now I love this thing. But now I see a problem that would annoy me. When using anything like firefox, excel, or word on my screen the top right and the very edge of the right hand side of the screen seems to burn in the image of what window you are using. From what I have seen it is not permanent since it goes away after putting the S7 to sleep and when it turns back on it goes away. This might be because it's an IPS panel (I highly doubt that but never had an IPS panel before) or for some reason mine is more prone to the burn in images. Not a deal breaker but annoying when you see minute detail changes.

I'm not too sure what you are talking about. Perhaps a picture?

I'm not too sure what you are talking about. Perhaps a picture?

What I meant by that was an image of what I was using (i.e. Firefox or word) there was a residual image left but it was very faint. Like you could see the X button to close out of firefox. But it happened just to be my wallpaper. Once I changed my wallpaper it went away.

• 4 months later...

Not an IPS related issue as far as I can tell, based on my experience with IPS panels in tablets. Seems to me like a GPU related issue believe it or not. Any driver updates available?

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

OP how about some live pictures :D?

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.