Static shock killed HDMI port on GPU. How to get rid of static?

burnttoastnice

Often when using my desktop I get static shock by touching the case, or even my bed nearby - which either freezes the computer or insta-reboots it.

Earlier today the computer screen went black (Happens often when the computer runs out of memory) so I went to disconnect and reconnect the display. My hand touched the case which gave for a very painful static shock, and the computer restarted. There was a problem though, the screen hadn't come back on. The keyboard lights flashed as they usually would, and the HDD indicator showed that windows was booting again. I then tried a different HDMI cable on both my nearby TV and the other port on the monitor. No signal. I then tried a VGA cable with a different monitor, and that worked perfectly. At this point I knew the HDMI port on the GPU had died.

After booting into Windows and going through Nvidia's control panel as well as Windows' display control panel, neither was detecting the monitor over HDMI. I even tried booting with both HDMI and VGA plugged in (the gpu prioritises dvi -> hdmi -> vga) but it went straight to VGA.

Seeing as there's no way to resolve this, how can I discharge myself of this static electricity? I've checked the mobo, psu and gpu grounding with my multimeter and they seem fine to me.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

1 minute ago, burnttoastnice said:

Often when using my desktop I get static shock by touching the case, or even my bed nearby - which either freezes the computer or insta-reboots it.

Earlier today the computer screen went black (Happens often when the computer runs out of memory) so I went to disconnect and reconnect the display. My hand touched the case which gave for a very painful static shock, and the computer restarted. There was a problem though, the screen hadn't come back on. The keyboard lights flashed as they usually would, and the HDD indicator showed that windows was booting again. I then tried a different HDMI cable on both my nearby TV and the other port on the monitor. No signal. I then tried a VGA cable with a different monitor, and that worked perfectly. At this point I knew the HDMI port on the GPU had died.

After booting into Windows and going through Nvidia's control panel as well as Windows' display control panel, neither was detecting the monitor over HDMI. I even tried booting with both HDMI and VGA plugged in (the gpu prioritises dvi -> hdmi -> vga) but it went straight to VGA.

Seeing as there's no way to resolve this, how can I discharge myself of this static electricity? I've checked the mobo, psu and gpu grounding with my multimeter and they seem fine to me.

you have something severely wrong

to be honest, id recommend a new motherboard and psu, with protection from that kinda thing

best i can offer is to not wear wool socks and ground yourself on

something

i dunno what

1 minute ago, Josephdalepi said:

you have something severely wrong

to be honest, id recommend a new motherboard and psu

I changed by PSU to an XFX TS430 (the old one was a cheapo FSP Components 250W). I'm saving up for a new motherboard currently so hopefully that eliminates the rebooting issue.

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Just now, burnttoastnice said:

I changed by PSU to an XFX TS430 (the old one was a cheapo FSP Components 250W). I'm saving up for a new motherboard currently so hopefully that eliminates the rebooting issue.

this is the strangest thing ive ever heard of

4 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

how can I discharge myself of this static electricity

Try different clothing and different walking styles. (you can test these by walking around, swinging your arms etc. and then touching something grounded) Also seen as you live in the uk, dont you have grounded faceplates on the outlets? (metallic ones) That can be a easy way to ground yourself.

Just now, Pesukarhu said:

Try different clothing and different walking styles. (you can test these by walking around, swinging your arms etc. and then touching something grounded) Also seen as you live in the uk, dont you have grounded faceplates on the outlets? (metallic ones) That can be a easy way to ground yourself.

The faceplates in my house unfortunately are plastic :(. I'll also give those a try ^_^

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

7 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

Increase the humidity in your house if possible. Low humidity is going to cause more static electricity to be stored in your body or on your clothing.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Do you use your computer barefoot with your feet in contact with the floor? I get shocks from my case all the time until I put on a pair of slippers. I also managed to damage an old wireless card from a decade ago this way- or so I think.

Just now, Aereldor said:

Do you walk around barefoot a lot? I get shocks from my case all the time until I put on a pair of slippers. I also managed to damage an old wireless card from a decade ago this way- or so I think.

I wear slippers almost all the time. R.I.P. to that poor wireless card though :/

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

5 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

I wear slippers almost all the time. R.I.P. to that poor wireless card though :/

That computer was from 2001, if not earlier. Everything else was dead by the time I started ripping stuff out and teaching myself what did what.

To be honest, I don't quite know whether to insulate myself from the ground or to ground myself through my own feet while working with sensitive electronics. However, I don't get shocked with a pair of slippers on, so it seems to eliminate that problem at the very least.

An unusual problem I encountered once was with a friend of mine who kept shocking stuff from his desk. I found that he used a thick, almost fluffy tablecloth under his setup which resulted in static buildup. You wouldn't happen to have something similar on your desk, would you?

Also, you haven't taken to stroking a nearby kitten and touching your GPU immediately afterwards, have you?

power outlets with ground connection that are actually grounded

if there aren't any grounded outlets, you could try and run a wire from the PC case to anything metallic that runs through ground, like heat pipe

48 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

That computer was from 2001, if not earlier. Everything else was dead by the time I started ripping stuff out and teaching myself what did what.

To be honest, I don't quite know whether to insulate myself from the ground or to ground myself through my own feet while working with sensitive electronics. However, I don't get shocked with a pair of slippers on, so it seems to eliminate that problem at the very least.

An unusual problem I encountered once was with a friend of mine who kept shocking stuff from his desk. I found that he used a thick, almost fluffy tablecloth under his setup which resulted in static buildup. You wouldn't happen to have something similar on your desk, would you?

Also, you haven't taken to stroking a nearby kitten and touching your GPU immediately afterwards, have you?

Haven't got a fluffy mat in sight. Your friend must've had such an electrifying experience using that computer :P & LOL, no kittens here yet xDxD. I might look into getting an ESD mat to rest my feet on to avoid this happening again

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame