Moving Desktop (US -> Australia)

lapensee

Hi,

I'm relocating from US to Australia and worried about how to move my desktop (I7-5820).  I bought parts when each had the lowest price, so I really would like to take it with me.

Does anyone have experience moving their desktops?  I guess I should unbuild it and take it with me, but what would be the best way to do it?  CPU, RAM, MB and stuff in the carry-on, and power, case, etc. via check-in?   Does the TSA not stop me if I bring these with me on the plane? 

Please share any experience, wisdom, and/or thoughts! 

Thanks

I would remove the GPU's. Do you still have the box the case case came in? If so it would offer the best protection while in travel

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

3 minutes ago, lapensee said:

Hi,

I'm relocating from US to Australia and worried about how to move my desktop (I7-5820).  I bought parts when each had the lowest price, so I really would like to take it with me.

Does anyone have experience moving their desktops?  I guess I should unbuild it and take it with me, but what would be the best way to do it?  CPU, RAM, MB and stuff in the carry-on, and power, case, etc. via check-in?   Does the TSA not stop me if I bring these with me on the plane? 

Thanks

just carry the parts in their boxes in a suitcase?

remove the GPU. maybe the CPU cooler and maybe putt the HDD in something soft because turbulence. unless your taking boat and car

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

Remove GPU, any water cooling, and if you have a large CPU Cooler remove that as well. 

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

I'd remove the GPU, CPU cooler, and any hard drives(SSDs should be fine) and put everything back in their boxes and the rest of your PC in the box for the case. Make sure you still have all the foam padding too. 

14 hours ago, lapensee said:

Hi,

Thanks

I would definitely unbuild it completely. It's a long travel and you don't want your GPU PCB to break, nor your motherboard for the CPU cooler's fault. Put each part in its own box, and buy some foam or use old newspaper sheets to prevent you system from being damaged. It will be nice and healthy if you don't carry it fully built.

AMD Waifu is the best Waifu

dump the case and take all the other stuff in it's original packing.

Make sure the input of the PSU accepts 240v, otherwise it's useless too.

Remove and separate components as others already mentioned. I do however have an experience about shipping a fully built PC  (aircooled) without removing any parts (Ohio to Washington). All I did was stuffed the inside with enough clothing (non-static ones) so that no parts moves freely when the case is banged.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Thank you very much all!

It only has been 6 months since I've built it.  So I mostly do have the boxes. Should buy foams and those wrappers I guess.

Will let everybody know how it went!

3 hours ago, lapensee said:

Thank you very much all!

It only has been 6 months since I've built it.  So I mostly do have the boxes. Should buy foams and those wrappers I guess.

Will let everybody know how it went!

Don't carry the case. It would be very expensive.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

+1 to winds comment mel to syd nothing moved even with the me having to manhandle it in to a car 

Forum Links - COC I FAQ I

You probably know this already but make sure you put the parts back into their anti-static bags.

i5 4670 | Asrock Fatal1ty H87 | G.Skill 16GB snipars | Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce | CM 690 III | 850 Evo 250GB + 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Seasonic G-750 | Logitech G502 | AKG K553 | Windows 10