Please help me build a video editing PC

Hello, can you guys please help me decide, the following model is kind of the overkill model i was thinking about (just because it"s at the limit of the budget) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/wishlistDetail.jsp/li/89466002C6, i was thinking of replacing the corsair vengeance with 4xkingston hyper x fury 2133mhz ddr4, and the samsung 950pro with 850pro, please tell me should i buy this pc, or should i modify the parts, i was also thinking of upgrading the z170-m plus to z170-a, but if i am upgrading the motherboard than i have to upgrade the case, and i am already at the limit of the budget :))

Full list = cooler master: gemini 2; g650 watt, 352 case/452 case

= asus              : z170m plus/z170-a, gtx 960 strix oc

= intel i7 6700k

= seagate barracuda 2tb

= samsung 850evo/950pro

= 2x2x4gb kingston fury 2133mhz cl 14m or 4x4 gb corsair vengeance 2133 mhz cl 13 *i read that dual channel is better for dual channel boards

= dvd-r + pcie/usb3 card reader

i need to buy this computer until 20 feb 2016 so if nobody answers just let it slide :D

can i also edit with this model? http://www.cel.ro/wish/&wid=40380 value in RON

10 minutes ago, vladimir vladokovic said:

Hello, can you guys please help me decide, the following model is kind of the overkill model i was thinking about (just because it"s at the limit of the bud

Look for a Xeon 1231v3 with an H97 board, or if that's not available, the 5820K shouldn't cost much more than the 6700K and it'll be way better

drop the cooler and get something like a hyper 212 evo as that will be fine

a 390 is going to be a faster card for gaming than a 970

Buy 8 GB sticks of RAM, not a bunch of 4gb sticks so you have room to expand, memory speed doesn't matter for much of anything

and please don't waste money on a PCI-e SSD, just get like double or triple the storage with a standard sata SSD

and the hybrid hard drives aren't worth it, just get again a standard 1TB HDD

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

=== i forgot to say ===== i curently use 4k display and i edit 3 - 25 min. 4k video

Spoiler
Spoiler

Just now, vladimir vladokovic said:

=== i forgot to say ===== i curently use 4k display and i edit 3 - 25 min. 4k video

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Then you should probably find and invest in a workstation GPU, the W5100 or W7100 fire pro cards seem to be pretty good for the money compared to quadro cards

and then you should get a 5820K over a 6700K because it'll have more cores/threads and handle the workload better

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

First of all, do you have 8 GB of DDR4 Memory? Or 4GB? Your post got me a little confused. Also, if you are going to upgrade 16GB or DDR4, you might want to get a better PSU to support your RAM and SSD upgrade, IF you will be upgrading. The Samsung 850 Pro 1TB is a much better deal that the 512GB 950 Pro. It is nearly double the storage for 1.5x the price.

The i7-6700K is a beauty, but did you ever think about Overclocking? I am not sure if the ASUS Z170-M can hold that. Upgrading the Memory should be the first on your list, then the Motherboard and THEN the SSD's. Storage should not be an issue, and you'll survive without needing 1TB/512GB storage.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

PARTS:

CPU: Intel i7-7700K / Motherboard: ASUS Strix Z270-E / RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB DDR4-2400 MHz + 8GB DDR4-2133 MHz / Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD / GPU: 2x ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 (New) (2-Way SLI) / Case: Corsair 900D / PSU: Corsair AX1500i 80+ Titanium / OS: Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit)

PERIPHERALS:

Mouse: Razer Mamba / Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma / Headset: Razer Man O' War / Mousepad: Razer Firefly / Camera: Panasonic HC-X1000 / Microphone: Rode NT1A

MONITORS:

Center: Dell UP2715K / Right & Left: 2x Acer XB271HK / Top: Acer Predator X34

WATERCOOLING (SOON)

only 4gb memory, i was thinking to chose between 2 x 2 sticks of dual channel memory or 1 x 4 sticks of quad channel memory, i was thinking that probably i will not need more than 16gb of memory

regarding overclocking, i am quite the noob, i haven t overclocked before

27 minutes ago, vladimir vladokovic said:

only 4gb memory, i was thinking to chose between 2 x 2 sticks of dual channel memory or 1 x 4 sticks of quad channel memory, i was thinking that probably i will not need more than 16gb of memory

I wouldn't worry about overclocked

and you should just buy the biggest sticks that aren't crazy priced, like the 8 GB sticks, because the speed of your RAM doesn't matter for much.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

I wouldn't worry about overclocked

and you should just buy the biggest sticks that aren't crazy priced, like the 8 GB sticks, because the speed of your RAM doesn't matter for much.

Memory speed does make a difference in some video editing tasks.

31 minutes ago, vladimir vladokovic said:

If you will be editing video, you should get more than 4GB of memory. If the motherboard supports dual channel, get a dual channel memory kit (2 memory sticks), e.g. 2x8GB.

If you have no plans to overclock, look at getting a locked i7, (perhaps i7-6700), and an H170 motherboard. On current Intel platforms, overclocking is not necessary and should be treated as a hobby rather than a necessity.

A Z170-A is not an upgrade from a Z170M-Plus. ATX and mATX motherboards are different sizes. The later only having room for up to 4 expansion slots. Other than that, they often share the same features as their ATX counterparts.

If budget is tight you might take @Streetguru advice and look into getting something like a Xeon E3-1230 V3 with an H97 motherboard. Although 4K video editing does not lend itself to budget builds.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On February 9, 2016 at 7:03 PM, vladimir vladokovic said:only 4gb memory, i was thinking to chose between 2 x 2 sticks of dual channel memory or 1 x 4 sticks of quad channel memory, i was thinking that probably i will not need more than 16gb of memory

I would suggest buying 16GB of Memory. Overclocking is helpful, but your power supply might not be able to support it, so that is out of the loop. You said you edit 4K Videos; Is this for YouTube or Vimeo or some other website. May I know what this is for?

My main concern now is your Graphics Card. If you have the budget, you should probably upgrade to a 980 or a 980 Ti. Your motherboard seems to be fine, mainly because the Z170-M Plus has different size than the Z170-A. However, when considering 2-way, 3-way, or 4-way SLI, the Z170-M Plus might not be the best choice.

In the end, I think you have a pretty good rig. If you upgrade your 960 to a 970 or a 980 and get 16 Gigs of DDR4 2133MHz Memory, you should be good to go.

P.S. Can I get the specs of your monitor?

P.P.S. Mine is in my profile.

Links:

Memory: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-3000MHz-PC4-24000-Memory/dp/B0134EW7G8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1455065989&sr=1-3&keywords=16+gb+kit+ddr4&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A677429011

Spoiler

Gaming PC

PARTS:

CPU: Intel i7-7700K / Motherboard: ASUS Strix Z270-E / RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB DDR4-2400 MHz + 8GB DDR4-2133 MHz / Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD / GPU: 2x ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 (New) (2-Way SLI) / Case: Corsair 900D / PSU: Corsair AX1500i 80+ Titanium / OS: Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit)

PERIPHERALS:

Mouse: Razer Mamba / Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma / Headset: Razer Man O' War / Mousepad: Razer Firefly / Camera: Panasonic HC-X1000 / Microphone: Rode NT1A

MONITORS:

Center: Dell UP2715K / Right & Left: 2x Acer XB271HK / Top: Acer Predator X34

WATERCOOLING (SOON)

i do video editing for advertising, not for web use,( i have a 4k panasonic hcx1000), also for photoshop, illustrator, lightroom, and mainly graphic design related stuff.

As for the 4k video editing, it's going to be 30% of the work i do on this computer (basically :) ).

My monitor is actually a 4k tv, from asus if i remember correctly, i will post an detailed answer in a few days when i return from holiday :D. Thank you!

On 2/10/2016 at 3:12 AM, Awesomnesss said:

I would suggest buying 16GB of Memory. Overclocking is helpful, but your power supply might not be able to support it, so that is out of the loop. You said you edit 4K Videos; Is this for YouTube or Vimeo or some other website. May I know what this is for?

My main concern now is your Graphics Card. If you have the budget, you should probably upgrade to a 980 or a 980 Ti. Your motherboard seems to be fine, mainly because the Z170-M Plus has different size than the Z170-A. However, when considering 2-way, 3-way, or 4-way SLI, the Z170-M Plus might not be the best choice.

In the end, I think you have a pretty good rig. If you upgrade your 960 to a 970 or a 980 and get 16 Gigs of DDR4 2133MHz Memory, you should be good to go.

P.S. Can I get the specs of your monitor?

P.P.S. Mine is in my profile.

Links:

Memory: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-3000MHz-PC4-24000-Memory/dp/B0134EW7G8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1455065989&sr=1-3&keywords=16+gb+kit+ddr4&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A677429011

hi, this is the monitor: https://www.flanco.ro/lg-43uf6907-smart-tv-led-108-cm-ultra-hd-4k.html

can i connect amd r9 380x with this monitor through a dvi-i - hdmi adaptor in order to get 4k resolution?